what fish is this?

Ken Gargett

I was going to put this in Kenfessions, still might, but I thought I would put it out now and see if any thoughts.

I have had suggestions of everything from a giant tailor (be surely a world record and a half!), tuna, mackerel, juvenile marlin, GT, giant herring and more. One suggestion was a large threadfin salmon, which was the best of the bad lot but I don’t think it was. All of those are caught where I was fishing, but I do not believe this fish was any of them.

Last week, mates and I were fishing on Fraser Island. We drove up early to the tip of the Island at Sandy Cape and were fishing the very eastern corner. About 6.30/7am and the tide had been coming in for an hour to an hour and a half. Not much of a sweep at that stage.

I was fishing with a surf rod and Alvey reel and a four-hook rig with a pilchard. One of the other guys, Ted, was fishing about 20 metres along the shore and was using the same, with the exception of using half a pillie.

My second cast, I was hit by the proverbial freight train. Smashed the bait and immediately leapt into the air. I didn’t see that leap – just the splash as it landed – as was making sure all gear in order and that I had hooked him. It leapt again immediately and this time I got a good look but only from the angle of looking at the belly so I could not identify it.

About four-foot-long, perhaps 4 ½ feet, a solid fish, very silvery. Twisted itself and had the wide flared gills of a large barramundi or possibly tarpon. I'm sure we’ve all seen many photos of both fishing in the air with those flared gills.

I would have had no problem identifying it as either of those, except that I can’t really imagine what a barramundi was doing way out there and my understanding was that the species of tarpon we have here rarely grows more than 5-6 lbs, though I note my copy of Grants suggests that they can get up to this sort of size though that is rare indeed.

Anyway, when it landed, I managed to hold it for 10-15 seconds before a short run, a brief pause, and then it took off for the horizon and broke me off.

Just to prove I was not dreaming, about 45 minutes later, Ted was hit in the same manner. I did not see the fish – he did, and he described it in exactly the same manner. Unfortunately, he also only had a look at the belly so could not help but he again described it of the same size, very silvery and with the flared gills. He tried to hold his and not give it much of a chance to run, but (and I did see this), it nearly broke his thumb, spinning the reel viciously. It smashed him off at that stage and even opened up the eye on a hook.

My first thought was that there must be a few of them but on reflection, I'm leaning to the idea it was the same fish. Not that it matters.

In the end, I can only think it was a badly lost and confused barramundi or a very rare and very large local tarpon.

Love to hear any thoughts.

3 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Probably a barra. Just did a Google search and it seems barramundi do get caught near Fraser Island.

fuzz, they do. but that is almost always on the West side in Hervey Bay. there were a couple found on the beach at Waddy when one of the small lakes that had formed on the beach was drained. but this was in the surf right at the tip of the Island. no one i know has ever seen one there and it would be out of character for one to be way out there. but who knows? 

checked with the local tackle warehouse - probably the best local tackle shop.

they would rule out tarpon. despite what grant suggests, they say tarpon simply get nowhere near this size here - which is what i always understood. they think barra unlikely as no cover for it. they like rocky outcrops or trees and nothing there.

they suggested a very big queenfish, which is a good thought. at that size, granted a bit rare, they are very powerful and fast, do leap and and flare the gills.

I know that fish. It's called "the one that got away." Very common but usually quite memorable. Good on you.