Min Ron Nee - Cigar Blends, Storage and other questions

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now, after full reading - very little info or very little new information here. In particular as he refuses to address the truly interesting questions. And in my opinion any person who is not lazy-min

The missing parts explained ...   I had a long telephone conversation with MRN an hour ago and he asked me to clarify here on some of his comments from that "interview" for Robert for those in

Well said. MRN is a very kind, generous and inquisitive person and he will share his experience and knowledge, not just on cigars, happily face to face while smoking a good cigar or three for hours

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

and I wish to request that your responses remain on-topic, considerate and thoughtful.

1 hour ago, Fuzz said:

Keep it civil or there will be time outs for offenders.

Why these disclaimers gents - anything controverisal in it?!....  :lol3:

(Thanks John for posting, that's great! Though the answer to the first question already makes me feel slightly .... :troll: )

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Fugu said:

(Thanks John for posting, that's great! Though the answer to the first question already makes me feel slightly .... :troll: )

Many of us have been touting, for some time, that recent blends have made Habanos cigars more approachable young than in the 90s/early 2000s. But you've got to respect MRN for not offending his sources.

8 minutes ago, Iznogood said:

Not very talkative guy, a lot of passed questions :) 

Again, you've got to respect his wishes to not bring other people into his answers where he feels it's unwarranted. It's his prerogative I suppose.

15 minutes ago, Fugu said:

Why these disclaimers gents - anything controverisal in it?!....  :lol3:

Just getting in before the smelly stuff hits the fan. Havanathon is this weekend and nobody wants to deal with that kind of crap now... or at any other time, for that matter.

8 minutes ago, 99call said:

nice work John, 

Sad that he feels so censored. but I will say this.   I think everyone on here, is a slightly fascinated by Min Ron Nee, and his decorum and privacy are a key factor in this. 

You only have one shot at keeping things close to vest.

32 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Just getting in before the smelly stuff hits the fan. Havanathon is this weekend and nobody wants to deal with that kind of crap now... or at any other time, for that matter.

Was just kidding Fuzz, just kidding... :D

Guest Nekhyludov

Very interesting post. Thanks for sharing @JohnS! I agree there's not much substance in his answers, but it's certainly interesting to have a bit of a window into his thinking, however guarded he feels he needs to be.

I can't wait to see the impending dissertation refuting the 12°C/55%rh statement. I'm sure it's being feverishly drafted at this very moment ... :whistle:

I too was fascinated by the 55F LT storage temp.  I guess the 60% rH is to compensate for that and keep H2O content in the cigars at some target level.  Whereas at my 65/65 the H2O content in the cigars is somewhat the same?  Or do we need to call El Grande Cornichon du Poisson to get the right answer on that? :cigar: 

• Like 3

Err, wait…

"In the future second edition MRN book, that is, if there is one"

What happened to the $10 000 volume and its bamboo stand?

Anyway,

I guess many people will be surprised by the fact that MRN ages at 55% but smokes at 72%. I'll say, keep in mind that the man smokes mainly very old cigars, and in my experience very old cigars, at low humidity, burn way too fast and taste like paper…

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Nekhyludov said:

I can't wait to see the impending dissertation refuting the 12°C/55%rh statement. I'm sure it's being feverishly drafted at this very moment ... :whistle:

Absolutely not. This aspect is in fact about "aging" versus "preserving" cigars. If you'd want to preserve a cigar for the longest time possible, then you should - theoretically - bring the temperature down, slowing chemical processes, and preferably even reduce the action of oxygen (i.e. keep them sealed). This counteracts, or at least slows down, aging effects but also the usually desired maturing processes. At the same time you'd have to drastically reduce storage rH in order to not provide water activitites in the tobacco supportive of mould growth. Though this is "priced in" already to some extent in the relative nature of relative humidity with temperature, for the same rH-atmosphere tobacco is holding more water at lower temperatures compared to higher temps (see some of the many PigFish-threads about it). This holds in particular for instances where you seal off boxes and/or leave them untouched/unchecked for extended periods of time. So, this is pretty much in line with (widely?) accepted knowledge, and the particular application of which depends largely on what one has in mind doing with ones cigars.

Edited by Fugu
Removed my last para for not appearing personally criticising
  • Like 1

It was very strange to me that he do very opposite of "dry boxing" for cigars that he smokes. RH 72% month before.

I believe this was his answer to how to revitalize a dry cigar. I did not take it as his normal practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest Nekhyludov

screenshot-www.friendsofhabanos.com-2017-10-25-10-47-14-668.thumb.png.a5e0ffd37b3179ce99f322a87e5a93fe.png

My apologies @Fugu if the lament in my previous post was provocative. I've just grown weary of seeing every mention of temperature, rh, and/or the relationship between them devolve into page-long, data-driven diatribes that usually end in criticisms of others' measurement tools or methodology. It's tiresome.

But I do apologize for bringing it up. Best to let it lie.

6 minutes ago, LLC said:

I believe this was his answer to how to revitalize a dry cigar. I did not take it as his normal practice.

No, it is his normal practice. His cigars are old, thus not hygroscopic, and he smokes them after they stayed in his 72% humidor.