Min Ron Nee - Cigar Blends, Storage and other questions

6 minutes ago, Smallclub said:

No, it is his normal practice. His cigars are old, thus not hygroscopic, and he smokes them after they stayed in his 72% humidor.

Old cigars don't absorb water?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now, after full reading - very little info or very little new information here. In particular as he refuses to address the truly interesting questions. And in my opinion any person who is not lazy-min

The missing parts explained ...   I had a long telephone conversation with MRN an hour ago and he asked me to clarify here on some of his comments from that "interview" for Robert for those in

Well said. MRN is a very kind, generous and inquisitive person and he will share his experience and knowledge, not just on cigars, happily face to face while smoking a good cigar or three for hours

30 minutes ago, Nekhyludov said:

screenshot-www.friendsofhabanos.com-2017-10-25-10-47-14-668.thumb.png.a5e0ffd37b3179ce99f322a87e5a93fe.png

My apologies @Fugu if the lament in my previous post was provocative. I've just grown weary of seeing every mention of temperature, rh, and/or the relationship between them devolve into page-long, data-driven diatribes that usually end in criticisms of others' measurement tools or methodology. It's tiresome.

But I do apologize for bringing it up. Best to let it lie.

Haha, no, all good, mate! I got your tongue-in-cheek comment. This was not towards you. I had included a sentence expressing my surprise about MRN stating to have no idea about temperature effects, while at the same time discussing humidity. But after reconsideration I thought it would be wiser not to initiate a debate about that, as it might have come across personal, and thus preferred to comply with John's and Fuzz' request.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fugu said:

Haha, no, all good, mate! I got your tongue-in-cheek comment. This was not towards you. I had included a sentence expressing my surprise about MRN stating to have no idea about temperature effects, while at the same time discussing humidity. But after reconsideration I thought it would be wiser not to initiate a debate about that, as it might have come across personal, and thus preferred to comply with John's and Fuzz' request.

...oh bring it on Goo, I'll back you up!!! -LOL

(just kidding folks... just kidding...)

-Piggy

• Haha 2

There are so many variables involved including the particular cigar and the conditions where they're smoked.
With the colder seasonal temperatures where I live, my cigars are likely to be stored a bit cooler than in the summer, closer to 64-65F (17-18C). I need to set up a dry boxing procedure for the cigars I plan to immediately smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

I plan on storing cigars in my cellar after this thread and having some members come by my house and saying the same.  My cellar is on the humid side, but I am not sure how dry it will get at the height of winter.  I have a hydrometer, but my hunch is it will never go below 50% even as the temps are in the 50's F.

6 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I plan on storing cigars in my cellar after this thread and having some members come by my house and saying the same.  My cellar is on the humid side, but I am not sure how dry it will get at the height of winter.  I have a hydrometer, but my hunch is it will never go below 50% even as the temps are in the 50's F.

What's your plan for the humidity?  Dehumidify the space?  Or count on a watertight seal in your tupperdores/humidors/etc.?

If temperature is so important, why can a guy have a humidor on his office desk and go from VP to Prez?

And what colour cigar do you give out if you do not believe in limiting blue for boys/pink for girls?

If this is friends of Habanos, what if you have never been to Cuba and have no interest in going?

Oh I could go on and on.

Your friend,

CB

:party:

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

If you are thinking about storing in the cellar, I recommend you consider this set up :

A good friend here, my pharmacist, has an extremely humid cellar ( a creek running below ) and he stores his very valuable collection for many years now with no problems whatsoever the same way I do in my cellar - water and airtight Zarges metal boxes.

Might be an idea.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PigFish said:

It is no secret that I don't agree with the Doctor on a few things, but I do with the statement of 'one man's opinion and one of personal experience.' Cigar smoking is not done via proxy, nor at the direction of 'expert' smokers. While smokers can agree or disagree, what you smoke and why is clearly, wholly individual.

This....is what stood out the most to me. He made it a point to include this caveat in his answer, which is perhaps the best piece of info in the whole interview. That’s just my opinion, of course.

1 hour ago, PapaDisco said:

What's your plan for the humidity?  Dehumidify the space?  Or count on a watertight seal in your tupperdores/humidors/etc.?

Do nothing.  My cellar's 2017 max temp was 68F with 68% humidity.  I plan to vacuum seal or wax paper wrap the boxes; that's it.

• Like 1

I respect the book, although outdated now and appreciate his vast knowledge, however I’ll never forget when he participated on another forum and would post pics of cigars with mold on them, I believe perhaps stating it was plume, if I recall correctly. He would also at times appear childish on that board by starting topics that he most likely knew would entice  drama and anger and usually those topics ended up doing so.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tave1225 said:

I recall El Pres appearing there on occasion and @Smallclub too. Perhaps they can verify my mold story in case I’m not recalling correctly. 

Yes I recall this story, and yes that was obviously mold on these RyJ Prince of Wales, which it was very surprising given the conditions under which they were stored… (low RH, low temp.).

In my opinion the culprit was the lack of air renewal because of saran paper + ziplock…

Yes I recall this story, and yes that was obviously mold on these RyJ Prince of Wales, which it was very surprising given the conditions under which they were stored… (low RH, low temp.).
In my opinion the culprit was the lack of air renewal because of saran paper + ziplock…

Or maybe the 72RH at room temperature?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

... air, or lack of it does not cause mold! Mold is the result of a food source and water, exposed to spores. Mold = too high a percent moisture content. Just that simple!

Those that refrigerate cigars, invite mold, more often than not!

Endeth the mold/temp lecture, diatribe, etc. -Piggy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Smallclub said:

Uh! We know. He's a real person, some members of this forum have met him, were invited to his house; pics were posted, etc. He even generously sent me a couple vintage cigars to try (Hoyo Perfectos from the 60's), mind you.

Wow, that is pretty cool.  How were they?