ROGUE DISTILLERS ARE NOW MAKING 10-YEAR-OLD WHISKY IN WEEKS

MIKA27

ROGUE DISTILLERS ARE NOW MAKING 10-YEAR-OLD WHISKY IN WEEKS

fast-whisky.jpg

The fast food phenomena appears to have finally caught up with the world of whisky.

In the past decade the liquor has seen a resurgence in popularity thanks in part to its unique artesian distilling processes defined by region. This premium appeal has led to the creation of a lucrative marketplace played out between major makers from the United Kingdom, the U.S.A and Japan.

With demand for whisky showing no signs of slowing down, innovative players are now also entering the market with their own controversial processes that bend the rules of an age-old tradition – time.

What separates a good single malt whisky from an exemplary one is the time it takes to age and now there are companies claiming to be able to replicate the quality and taste of premium whiskies aged in casks for more than a decade in mere weeks.

Whilst this might be one way to secure whisky supplies in the future, it also raises questions to do with the integrity of the art, whether the taste is really as good as the real thing and the ultimate appeal of “fast whisky”.

“Created using a patented process of light and heat to speed up the maturation process.”

The companies that claim to have this technology in place includes Lost Spirits, who have won awards for their rums and single malts that have been created using a patented process of light and heat to speed up the maturation process.

Cleveland Whiskey is another distillery championing this process with whiskies and bourbon created from high-pressure stainless steel tanks which mixes the liquor with wood combinations to produce a distinct flavour in just a number of days.

Meanwhile over at Highspire Whiskey the process is more in line with the oldschool ways with an added twist. Wine barrels hold the liquor and are mixed in with oak wood chips to accelerate the maturation process to just four months. Taking things to weird new places is Tuthilltown Spirits which apparently uses music to vibrate the barrels, thus moving things along quicker.

Even one Australian whisky maker is trying their hand at the idea with Tasmania’s Deviant Distillery claiming that their single malt whisky has the “chemical composition and flavour identical to a 10-year-old whisky”.

It might all sound straight-forward in theory but there’s a lot more chemical science going on in the ageing process than just extracting the flavours from oak barrels. According to The Conversation, “chemical reactions create new molecules, many of which are credited with the properties of the longest aged whiskies“.

979470_9d55f4cfc12b48d690ce9c2c662cf9f5.png

Currently the innovators in the game are even employing ultrasound to harness the effects of acoustic cavitation – a process which promotes the formation, growth and collapse of microscopic bubbles via a sound field, thus speeding up the ageing process and more importantly, creating the necessary esters that provide spirits with their distinctive notes.

There is a major hurdle though. All of these so-called fast whiskies can’t actually be legally called or sold as ‘whisky’ since they do not meet the regulated minimum ageing process of two years.

And once this naming convention is sorted, there remains just one other major obstacle – convincing consumers on the taste. Just as people frowned upon the idea of recycled drinking water, fast whisky will likely see a similar cold reception in its early days.

Research however indicates that there’s nothing to worry about in the palate department. The Food Safety and Measurement Facility at the University of California, studied the “chemical fingerprint” of 60 American whiskies and found that there were 30 to 50 specific compounds that made up the different tastes of whiskies.

They took this research to Lost Spirit’s offering and even published forensic data which concluded a favourable comparison to a 33-year-old whisky sample. If that’s not enough to convince the most discerning whisky snob, Lost Spirit’s Reactor Aged Islay Whisky also recently took out the “Liquid Gold” standard at the 2018 Jim Murray Whisky Bible.

Based on this observation it would appear that concept of fast whiskies is just beginning to take hold of a centuries old art form. The question is, would you try it?

• Thanks 1

There's a long-standing hack in the pipe smoking community of "faking age" by applying heat to packages of tobacco -- even just leaving your favorite tins of Virginia tobacco in the car during a few hot weeks or months over the summer have resulted in noticeable differences which some people enjoy, and believe to be similar to aging.

• Like 1

I'd give it a shot. It's all about taste-mouth feel-smell. If all 3 win, then the whisky wins. 

I tried the lost spirits "Santeria" rum. It did taste aged but that is a rather low bar, since it's rum.

At the price they are charging for the whiskey, however, I'm not a buyer. It's comparable in price to 12 year old or older single malt which doesn't meet my definition of value.

2 hours ago, Lotusguy said:

I tried the lost spirits "Santeria" rum. It did taste aged but that is a rather low bar, since it's rum.

At the price they are charging for the whiskey, however, I'm not a buyer. It's comparable in price to 12 year old or older single malt which doesn't meet my definition of value.

Since when does age have anything to do with value? Its the annoyingly over-argumented NAS vs. Age Statements debate.

I buy whisky to drink. If it tastes good, then I am happy. Would I like to know every detail of the product? Absolutely. However, it is not even close to the most important element imo.

One of the main reasons I rarely buy Cohiba, Trinidad or double banders...doesn't mean they're not good though.

I'm with ElPuro on this.

There is little effort and zero time in these "rapid aged" Whiskeys so I won't spend the same amount as for one that took many years to get to where it's at. It's new make run through a reactor. How is that worth $60?

8 hours ago, Lotusguy said:

I'm with ElPuro on this.

There is little effort and zero time in these "rapid aged" Whiskeys so I won't spend the same amount as for one that took many years to get to where it's at. It's new make run through a reactor. How is that worth $60?

To me, as I said, if it tastes good, etc...then it is worth what it is worth.

You'e been a scotch drinker for a long time now brother, does age always equal value?

Simple example would be Kilchoman. Very young whisky that tastes exceptionally mature.

• Like 1

To me, as I said, if it tastes good, etc...then it is worth what it is worth.
You'e been a scotch drinker for a long time now brother, does age always equal value?
Simple example would be Kilchoman. Very young whisky that tastes exceptionally mature.

Love Kilchoman. While young, it's at least old enough to be legally called single malt. Made with high effort (in-house malting, etc) and low economies of scale. I don't see that with the reactor stuff where no warehouse is required and no actual distillation happens at the company. I'll try it when I have a chance.
  • Like 2