My First Coolidor

Hello everyone,

I was hoping to get a little advise from someone who has successfully set up and maintained a coolidor.

I just recently picked up a 55 quart cooler from the local Wal-Mart in preparation of receiving a couple boxes of CCs. I will pose my questions in list form.

1. Viable humidification options? I live in Arizona so we are extremely dry all year. Have some silica kitty litter to experiment with.

2. Hygrometers, and hygrometers accuracy? I have an older xikar hygrometer that can still be calibrated, but was curious about wireless probes to mount in the coolidor.

3. Optimal storage RH for CC? I've had multiple humidors, but none dedicated to full boxes of CCs. 

4. To fan or not to fan? Cheap lap top fans seem to be a good option, but if it's not necessary... 

Well guys and gals thanks for the time and advice. 

-Kyle

I can only go off what works for me.

I don't use active humidification or temperature controls due to the workload/time/energy/money of setting up a system to remove the excess humidity that running a temp controlled unit will need.

I use a passive system like yourself.

Lots of 60% beads as they usually settle between 60-65%. I find this lower% works for me, above 65% I ran into relighting issues and flavour muddling. I actually went down to 52% and the flavours just became more and more defined, but wrappers began to be frail

All hygrometers run with around +-5% margin of error unless you're spending triple digits on them, so I run 3/4 and take an average, but eventually you'll get to know where your cigars are by touch/feel

I've never used a fan but I don't open up the seals more than a few times a year to decant cigars into a smaller humidor, so the inside of the humidor is a pretty stable environment and has probably reached a reasonable level of equilibrium over the years, so it's not really an issue for me. They can't hurt. 

I freeze everything coming in to remove any chance of bugs, from then on temperature isn't concern so my only worry is mould, keeping 60% beads pretty much nullifies this unless a seal breaks out of the ordinary

• Like 1

I used to run 2 155qt coolers (also from Walmart).

2lbs of 65rh beads (was actually about 63) per humidor and ended up spritzing with water once every 6 months. (http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/default.asp)

2 fridge fans each. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002N5W8Q4/)

Trays glued together fit perfectly, with the top ones rotated and resting on the cooler lip. Price has gone up (https://www.cheaphumidors.com/cedar-cigar-tray-with-divider.html)

2dcevbm.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

I have a 57 litre Coleman. I use half a pound of 65% Heartfelt beads and a few large 65% bovedas.

I use a hygrometer as a rough guide, as I don't expect humidity to increase significantly.

I am still a rookie, so interested to read others approaches and methods.

Good luck!

I have a new coolidor I set up a couple months back. A Walmart cheapie with a good seal. I think it is a 60 Qt.

For humidification, I use Heartfelt beads. They're excellent. I use the 65%, and a pound divided and stashed in different spots has kept my cooler pegged right at 65%. They're the best humidification product I've ever used. 

No fans or anything. It would be nice, but I am going for cheap and easy. I tend to open it every day (either to get a cigar or just because). I bought a bunch of empty boxes from a local B&M to add until I started stashing purchased boxes in there.

It's really been an idea situation. At some point, I'd like an Aristocrat cabinet, but until I get the money and collection to justify it, I am a coolidor convert. I may even buy another one just to set up for long-term aging.

Does your cooler have a seal on it?  Well sealed tuppers/coolers can go years without having to replenish the Bovedas.  I have those in my cellar and they work great.  Mine are filled to max capacity so no room for a fan, but doesn't seem needed at all.

The cooler you're storing the lower you want your rH.  What would your lowest temp be in AZ?  You putting that thing in a basement or will it be in the home and subject to large temperature fluctuations?  If you store at a high %rH and then the temp gets lowered your beads/bovedas will have to absorb a lot of water.  If the temp goes down faster than they can stabilize things then you get micro droplets and mold.

51 minutes ago, PapaDisco said:

Does your cooler have a seal on it?  Well sealed tuppers/coolers can go years without having to replenish the Bovedas.  I have those in my cellar and they work great.  Mine are filled to max capacity so no room for a fan, but doesn't seem needed at all.

The cooler you're storing the lower you want your rH.  What would your lowest temp be in AZ?  You putting that thing in a basement or will it be in the home and subject to large temperature fluctuations?  If you store at a high %rH and then the temp gets lowered your beads/bovedas will have to absorb a lot of water.  If the temp goes down faster than they can stabilize things then you get micro droplets and mold.

Unfortunately the temperature extremes here are a little hard to deal with. My house is anywhere from 68° to 78° year round (depending on my watchful guard of the thermostat). My guest room where I plan to keep my coolidor probably gets the most stable temp control due to its proximity to the A/C unit. Unfortunately there are not a lot of basements here in the valley of the sun due to the hard as nails soil. I planned on sealing my coolidor with just a boveda in there and try to keep an eye on any fluctuations. I believe that it has a pretty good seal though. I can always put a couple beads of food grade silicone around the seal to help store it up. 

8 hours ago, Kferguson said:

Unfortunately the temperature extremes here are a little hard to deal with. My house is anywhere from 68° to 78° year round (depending on my watchful guard of the thermostat). My guest room where I plan to keep my coolidor probably gets the most stable temp control due to its proximity to the A/C unit. Unfortunately there are not a lot of basements here in the valley of the sun due to the hard as nails soil. I planned on sealing my coolidor with just a boveda in there and try to keep an eye on any fluctuations. I believe that it has a pretty good seal though. I can always put a couple beads of food grade silicone around the seal to help store it up. 

The good thing about using a cooler instead of a Tupper is that it will effectively slow temperature swings on the inside of the cooler.  I don't know for how long, but we've all seen proper coolers keep ice for 2-3 days, so you're likely ok if the temp swings are only 8 hours long or so.  However if you go on vacation for a week and turn the A/C off in the house, then within 3 days the inside of your cooler will equal the outside temp an all the water in your cigars will exit to their surrounding atmosphere.  In that case, I'd say the best thing to do upon return is to leave the cooler closed, re-aircondition the house and let the interior of the cooler slowly return to 68F over three days; like that the bovedas and beads will have time to slowly reabsorb the moisture.  

I wouldn't fiddle with your seal at first.  Oftentimes you get lucky.  Just live with the cooler and see if the Boveda's dry out too fast over the first 6 months.  If they do, then experiment with ways to improve the seal.  If they don't then you've got a good setup and your Boveda's will last you 1-2 years.