Johnny O Talisman Review

Thanks for the review.

I thought the JO Talisman was pretty mild and different in the last third compared to the banded version I had last week. The construction was spot on though when I compared sticks, the wrappers on the banded version being a tad darker.

Several people I spoke to commented the banded Talisman in the last third has the kick/profile of the 1966 (I've never smoked one so can't tell you if it did!)

34 minutes ago, Customsfan said:

Thank you for posting.  I find that some of his smokes very somewhat  in strength within the same bundle.  You have to smoke a couple to get a good picture.  IMHO

I do plan on smoking all the Talisman this round "fresh" and no years of aging to see what I can pick out of them.  Next round will go in the humidor for a couple of years.

These are the Unbanded EL Talisman's from the factory yah?

Sure. Rolled by the Easter bunny himself.

That's the impression that is given by a couple of custom roll sellers. I've never seen any proof but it sure helps sell them.

The custom rolls I sell will come from the Castro family itself :rolleyes:
  • Like 1

I've smoked a bunch of these and I find them to be much closer to medium/full...very reminiscent of the Mag 56...I mean VERY reminiscent...whatever these are John has either delivered on his description or he has become the only man on earth to successfully replicate the EL profile (if you've smoked enough of them over the years then you know what I am talking about) to a tee...my 2 cents.  MB

I smoked one again last night, still reflecting my comments above but there's no doubting the tobacco is good. Different from the banded version I had but still scratching my head as to how much difference - I am no super taster. Still was a good cigar, needs much more downtime.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wertman said:

Can one compare a Jonny O to any current production cigars.  Or how do his cigars compare to rollers such as Alex or Yolanda?  

Johnny O has his own rollers with their own stock of tobacco and blends they create. All Cuban tobacco rolled in Cuba by Cuban torcedores I have little doubt.

You can compare vitolas as they're rolled to size, can't really compare to production cigars as the blends would differ. In some cases there's also extra ligero, shaggy feet and other features not found in standard production.

Hard to compare cigars from roller to roller as they're all working with different stock and blends. It's how the cigars smoke being the biggest comparator for me. Johnny's are as hit or miss as anyone else's from that perspective. Reasonably priced over most as well.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Lotusguy said:

Sure. Rolled by the Easter bunny himself.

That's the impression that is given by a couple of custom roll sellers. I've never seen any proof but it sure helps sell them.

The custom rolls I sell will come from the Castro family itself :rolleyes:

But Johnny himself says that these are unbanded EL bundles straight from the said factory. I'm merely re-stating and trying to confirm that OP is smoking this particular Talisman

WHICH by the way, for USD450, is not the cheapest around

But Johnny himself says that these are unbanded EL bundles straight from the said factory. I'm merely re-stating and trying to confirm that OP is smoking this particular Talisman
WHICH by the way, for USD450, is not the cheapest around

Just like Ninja sells Behike "seconds". None of these claims can really be proven - even if they really come from someone in the factory, there is no guarantee what the blend is, etc. Why can't people just sell custom rolls as custom rolls on their own merit and not imply something "grand"?

3 minutes ago, Lotusguy said:

Just like Ninja sells Behike "seconds". None of these claims can really be proven - even if they really come from someone in the factory, there is no guarantee what the blend is, etc. Why can't people just sell custom rolls as custom rolls on their own merit and not imply something "grand"?

But..  Johnny......   \(T_T)/

I picked up a bundle of 'Talisman' cigars earlier this month from an esteemed roller. The understanding was these were his blend rolled in the Talisman format. No pretense they were seconds or thirds of the actual Talisman.....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Now I should mention that Johnny never tells you that these are seconds or thirds or what not. He named his cigars, you buy them, you smoke them and make your own comparison. This review was written for those who were weary about buying from Johnny. 

• Like 2

Am considering a small trial Johnny O purchase.

Can anyone provide a review of the following vitolas...

WORLD FAMOUS STYLE:

1 - 1996 (6 1/2 X 52)-chocolate wrapper

2 - Behique54 (5 3/4 X 54)

EL STYLE:

Lancero (7 1/2 X 38)

Thanks.

I just ordered a few fivers to try of the World Famous, what the hell.  The price was reasonable and we’ll see.  I’ll do a review when I get them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/22/2017 at 5:45 PM, Bartolomeo said:

No mystery, 100% Cuban tobacco rolled in Cuba

It's interesting you say that.  Can you point to a source, anywhere, where he makes that claim unequivocally?  Emphasis on the unequivocally.

Because I have yet to find a written source, anywhere, that he claims his cigars are Cuban puros.

On 11/30/2017 at 9:35 PM, Habana Mike said:

Johnny O has his own rollers with their own stock of tobacco and blends they create. All Cuban tobacco rolled in Cuba by Cuban torcedores I have little doubt.

Same as my comment re: Bart, above.  Are you aware of anywhere he himself states this, unequivocally?  Because after a fair amount of research, I have yet to find it.