favourite islay malts

Ken Gargett

On 4/24/2018 at 10:40 AM, TheMonk said:

Islay malts are my favorite whiskies - I've found that once you start enjoying these, most other whiskies just pale in comparison. For me, a bit like Cuban cigars and everything else.

Lagavulin and Ardbeg are probably my favorites, but Laphroaig also comes out with brilliant malts and, perhaps to a lesser extent, so does Bowmore. Kilchoman is a newer distillery, but their releases, albeit young, are showing a lot of potential IMO.

Oh, and the #1 in the OP's link, Lagavulin 12YO, is simply superb. Even better then the 16YO, which really came as a surprise the first time I drank it.

Bowmore's official bottlings aren't anything to write home about but if you can get your hands on a quality independent bottling, they can be absolutely stunning.  Look for a late teenager from a sherry cask, and I'm willing to bet you'll be surprised what kind of juice they can put out.

Regarding OB's, Ardbeg and Laphroaig both put out consistently excellent stuff, although Ardbeg's a bit overpriced here.  Laphroaig Quarter Cask is one of the best values from any distillery.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

All Lagavulin I've had is great. Amazing stuff.

I have a bottle of Ardbeg 10 year that I'm slowly working through. I use wine preserver and parafilm after a few drams to hopefully keep it fresh. I find I don't drink as much peated whisky in a sitting as I would with other whiskey/bourbon. 

I'd like to try the Caol Ila unpeated version one of these days. Bunnhabhain is also on my must try list. 

Bowmore and Bruichladdich were average. I forget the exact whiskies I tried but they're probably just the entry level bottlings.  

• Like 1

On 3/29/2018 at 2:07 PM, ayepatz said:

Stick to the stuff with an age statement on the bottle.

I pretty much love them all  - Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Caol Ila, Lagavaluin, Port Ellen. Some of the Octomore's are a bit much but still interesting.  

I agree with ayepatz to stick to the stuff with an age statement!

• Like 1

I pretty much love them all  - Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Caol Ila, Lagavaluin, Port Ellen. Some of the Octomore's are a bit much but still interesting.  
I agree with ayepatz to stick to the stuff with an age statement!

Don’t forget Kilchoman - they put out some really great juice!
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Big fan of Lagavulin 16. For anyone still reading this thread, what cigars do you like to pair with the Lag16?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Lagavulin 12 is spectacular but expensive. Do I think it's worth the tariff--absolutely; however, at half that price or less, the Laphroaig 10 YO Single Cask and the Ardbeg Uigeadail and Corryvreckan are top notch heavyweights. Don't ignore the Lagavulin 8 YO--not as big as the others but a great dram in its own right.

30 minutes ago, foursite12 said:

The Lagavulin 12 is spectacular but expensive. Do I think it's worth the tariff--absolutely; however, at half that price or less, the Laphroaig 10 YO Single Cask and the Ardbeg Uigeadail and Corryvreckan are top notch heavyweights. Don't ignore the Lagavulin 8 YO--not as big as the others but a great dram in its own right.

by chance, the box with the lagavulin 16, 12 and 8 arrived an hour ago. never tried the 8 so keen to try it (and at a sale at A$25, why not - tried to buy a lot more than i got). also laphroiag and ardbeg. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2018 at 12:26 AM, foursite12 said:

My wife bought me a bottle of the Lagavulin 12 for Christmas, what an fantastic scotch. I usually gravitate towards the Lagavulin 16, the 12 is just sublime. Slightly lighter, only needed a couple of drops of water - definitely a bottle to savour for special occasions.