Support for Cuban people

Hamaki

For those that have traveled to Cuba in support of Cuban people.  What activities and documention was requested upon re-entry into the US?

Id like to travel there next week and currently plan on staying in an Air BNB, meeting with small business owners to discuss life in Cuba and benefits of free market, democracy etc.  

Absolutely none. I came back through Houston last week and didn't exchange a single word with a customs or border agent as I reentered. I printed my sheet from the automated passport machine, put it on top of the pile next to the agent, picked up my bag, then walked straight past two other agents standing next to the exit door. It literally could not be any easier, it was much, much easier than going through Cancun last year. Take advantage now before some dipshit actually ruins it for everybody. 

• Like 1

The regulations and travel restrictions for Cuba are enforced by the Treasury department, not Customs.  The Customs agents are only there to make sure you are not bringing anything illegal into the USA (like Cuban cigars prior to the restriction being lifted), paying your necessary duty on items brought back, and/or controlling access to the country by foreigners. 

After you enter the country, the Treasury Department could decide audit your trip, at which time you will need to provide the necessary documentation to prove your trip was for the reason you stated.  However, they will not be auditing everyone, nor the majority; these will be random audits of only a small sample of those whom visited.  How many and how frequent will pretty much come down to funding though.  Although Trump has said he will be clamping down on travel to Cuba, congress has not approved funding to pay for an increase in audits ... yet. 

Who knows if they will.