A few questions on Cohiba

A few Cohiba Questions.   

191 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In summary: No more construction isues with Cohiba than any other Cuban cigar.  Most people can attribute a variety of flavours to Cohiba.  It is pretty much line ball whether mem

For me, there are three main notes that make the truly characteristic profile to a well-made Cohiba (Lanceros in particular): That being hay (late-summer hay from a wildflower meadow, tbp ), which is

1. YES, if I'm paying $20 for a robusto, every draw should be perfect. NC manufacturers seem to be able to produce consistent rolled $5 cigars, there is NO EXCUSE for throwing away 1/4 box because the

1. No

2. cream, honey, coffee ( I would add other flavours as well but these are the main ones I get each time. I do occasionally get grass/hay too)

3. Yes, just, only because I really really like the flavour profile sometimes. I couldn't give a stuff about the band/brand etc. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lant63 said:

2.  I also get slight citrus with Cohiba from Lanceros and Esplendido.  Might just be me.  

I do as well but it sliipped my mind to put it up. I think we have enough for the exercise to play out but citrus is a Cohiba staple. 

• Like 2

I do as well but it sliipped my mind to put it up. I think we have enough for the exercise to play out but citrus is a Cohiba staple. 

Sounds good to me! I find it interesting no one, thus far, has said that cohiba is the most problematic in terms of draw!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, dicko said:

1. No

2. cream, honey, coffee ( I would add other flavours as well but these are the main ones I get each time. I do occasionally get grass/hay too)

3. Yes, just, only because I really really like the flavour profile sometimes. I couldn't give a stuff about the band/brand etc. 

Kinda wish I got that coffee note. It would've been a wonderful addition to the flavors I was getting and give it that little bit of extra richness I prefer.

I've found other CC's I really enjoy, but consider CoRo my old reliable "go to" for that at peace with the world feeling. Everyone has a few favorite CC profiles and CoRo is one of mine - hasn't let me down yet. Always keep stock aged and on-hand for when the need arises. 

• Like 1

Not nearly worth it to me, although I have a few tubos of just about every siglo, piramides and especiales. Never had a lancero or esplendido... just don't see the need to spend the coin. I do have a box of PSP Secretos and Majicos, but not sure I'll dip into them.  May pass them on to someone else.  Too many other marca/vitola I enjoy to keep them.  I like them, it's just that there are plenty others I like too and cannot justify the expense.  Prestige means naught to me.  I have no pride when it comes to what I like in a cigar.  

I don’t find Cohiba to be any more or less problematic than other cigars when it comes to draw, however due to the price premium it’s certainly more frustrating when there is an issue.

I bought a box of robustos a couple of weeks ago as I do enjoy them a lot. However I can’t say they are really worth the price premium. They cost double that of a box of Juan Lopez no.2 or just about any other robusto. Are they twice as good as a JL2?

• Like 1

with what little experience I have with the Cohiba brand, I answered the best I could. I have a fair bit of fauxhibas, just no real ones at the moment :D

• Like 1

For me, there are three main notes that make the truly characteristic profile to a well-made Cohiba (Lanceros in particular): That being hay (late-summer hay from a wildflower meadow, tbp :D), which is a herbal - very pleasant - note, of the sort you are getting when sniffing on a tin with good Darjeeling (never fresh-mowed grass, but that's probably a matter of proper aging ...haha). Then certainly honey (tuning in a bit later usually) and some citrusy/lemon grass notes in the back (you don't always get that). Usually, I am also finding an almond-nuttiness above all, hints of beany aspects/vanilla and coffee notes towards the final third.

Can't relate to the things that have been voiced in the other thread, but like Rob mentioned, I feel it might indeed be related to some sort of physiological thingy, with some persons perceiving it as nice and some as appalling. Good to have choices....

As for value - tricky as usual.... The question, is it worth the premium, I'd spontaneously tend to answer with a clear 'no'. Not a big Robusto smoker anyway, but there are other fine Robustos out there of the same high quality, providing as much enjoyment as a CORO does. For me e.g. it's hard to beat a good RASS with some age, or an Epi 2. Best value for me atm being the Picadores (Herm. 4) at less than half the price of a CORO. However, the CORO is different to all other Robustos, so - if I want the experience I fear I have to shell out the premium. Therefore, in the end I have to admit, as long as I am buying them, it seems being worth its premium, at least off and on. Voted yes, but could have likewise voted no, which seems to be pretty much reflecting current poll results... :D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1. YES, if I'm paying $20 for a robusto, every draw should be perfect. NC manufacturers seem to be able to produce consistent rolled $5 cigars, there is NO EXCUSE for throwing away 1/4 box because they wont smoke. 

2. Hay/Grass was the only selectable profile that I have identified. 

3. A resounding NO! Give me 2+ of any other Cuban Robusto for the same price.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fugu said:

For me, there are three main notes that make the truly characteristic profile to a well-made Cohiba (Lanceros in particular): That being hay (late-summer hay from a wildflower meadow, tbp :D), which is a herbal - very pleasant - note, of the sort you are getting when sniffing on a tin with good Darjeeling (never fresh-mowed grass, but that's probably a matter of proper aging ...haha). Then certainly honey (tuning in a bit later usually) and some citrusy/lemon grass notes in the back (you don't always get that). Usually, I am also finding an almond-nuttiness above all, hints of beany aspects/vanilla and coffee notes towards the final third.

This describes the flavors better than I ever could, and its nothing short of majestic when they all come together in orchestra - the kind of thing you would deem almost priceless when in the moment. But there seems to be more inconsistency in flavor than other marcas. I’d estimate I’ve had 35 Cohibas in total at this point, and only 5 of them have absolutely had the magic touch. Trouble for me is, my very first CC was a robusto that definitely had the magic, so naturally I’ve been chasing that unicorn ever since. 

And it doesn’t necessarily have to do with age, I’ve now seen. The Lancero in the Christmas sampler was perhaps the most stunning example I’ve had to date, and it was only a 2016.

I’m holding out that age will help, though. I’ve got 3 boxes of CoRo, all around 2 years old. 2 of them lack the entire formula - tasting mostly just grassy. Only one shows honey-and-citrus promise early on. 

So IMHO, if one or two examples are the entirety of one's experience with Cohiba, chances are they were meh rather than wow!

30 minutes ago, Corylax18 said:

1. YES, if I'm paying $20 for a robusto, every draw should be perfect. NC manufacturers seem to be able to produce consistent rolled $5 cigars, there is NO EXCUSE for throwing away 1/4 box because they wont smoke. 

2. Hay/Grass was the only selectable profile that I have identified. 

3. A resounding NO! Give me 2+ of any other Cuban Robusto for the same price.

Right there with ya Cory. CoRo for me has been like that one golf shot ya shot once that was awesome. Ya want that to happen again so you keep paying. Amazing, no, otherworldly when on, it’s just, it’s hit rate it’s way too low. Stopped buying.

• Like 1

I've always found Cohibas to be 'too accurate' in their flavour delivery. The result to me is a product that feels a bit cold and clinical. In essence when I think of Cuba, the countryside, the people, the flavour and core of Cohiba, I find jarring.  In essence, in all the people I love, in the all the places, food I love, there is always an slight suggestion there is something slightly faulted, not whiter than white. 

I bit like a 3 star michellin meal, i find it admirable, impressive, but I don't love it, I don't crave it..............thankfully my pockets love me back for this.

13 minutes ago, havanaclub said:

Is it just me...? don’t see the poll questions on Prez first post.
Maybe it’s a Tapatalk thing

Did you take the poll?   My questions disappeared after I answered. But I can now see results.  

8 minutes ago, havanaclub said:

No I didn’t. Can’t find the polls, I will do a search. Thanks

The poll should be at very top, above Prez’s first post.

2 minutes ago, Islandboy said:

The poll should be at very top, above Prez’s first post.

I take that back....now all I see up top are the results, no little voting box thingies. Unless that’s because I already voted.

On average I've enjoyed the Cohiba experience above all other marcas - then Partagas followed by Bolivar and Upmann equal third. I can't wait for Behike to become available again. I like the hay profile at the start of a Cohiba, especially on a sunny day.