Romeo y Julieta Cedros de Luxe Review

Shout out to my favorite cigar photographer @photorob, who put together a care package when he was in Cuba. Of the offerings was this RyJ Cedros de Luxe. 

It was a comfortable 50 F this morning and I lit this on my walk to work, figuring I would sit in the park by my office and finish the last half. 

Fist few puffs were a Mack Truck of wood and spice. And it continued that way for the first 20 minutes. I was neither blessed with a good beginning burn nor ideal construction. If I hadn't set out with the intention to review, I wouldn't post now. 

The burn issues continued, with a sudden fall off the flavor cliff. No amount of rest or purging could bring this cigar back. Tunneling became worse and much earlier than anticipated, this went in the bin 40 minutes before expected. 

Anyone had these and enjoyed? 

IMG-20180215-WA0001.jpeg

IMG-20180215-WA0003.jpeg

IMG-20180215-WA0005.jpeg

IMG-20180215-WA0007.jpeg

20180215_074019.jpg

20180215_080001.jpg

• Like 1

nope and by the looks and sounds of it do not want to try any.  I know, I know one cigar does not make a

fair sampling but I'll hold off until more info is worth coming!

13 minutes ago, havanaclub said:

Sorry to hear Khalil.
Haven’t had one either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The price stops me from buying another one to sample. I am assuming it was a dud, but still. For that price [mid teens], many bona fide cigars for the price to purchase instead. 

15 minutes ago, kuma said:

nope and by the looks and sounds of it do not want to try any.  I know, I know one cigar does not make a

fair sampling but I'll hold off until more info is worth coming!

I am presuming the same, a dud. To be fair, RyJ is not my marca and the construction issues prevented a proper tasting. Curious to see everyone else's thoughts! 

I've been sampling a few from a 2015 box and I've yet to be impressed.  Flavor is pretty much wood and spice as you mentioned, and I've never been been able to get through one without some kind of burn/construction issue.  I keep trying in hopes that they'll turn around with age, but I doubt it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stump89 said:

I've been sampling a few from a 2015 box and I've yet to be impressed.  Flavor is pretty much wood and spice as you mentioned, and I've never been been able to get through one without some kind of burn/construction issue.  I keep trying in hopes that they'll turn around with age, but I doubt it.

This is really helpful! Thanks for sharing. I was really just after confirmation :lol:

19 minutes ago, mgcrunch said:

Thoughts on the cigar?

19 minutes ago, mgcrunch said:

Thoughts on the cigar?

Much prefer the Romeo y Julieta Romeo de Luxe Edición Limitada 2013. That is a cracking cigar. 

I am not into cedar profiles and on that cigar it is what I find most of all in terms of flavour. Light bodied to my mind. Some R&J pofile but I need a deeper richer cigar.  I actually do enjoy the Cedros 1/2/3 but they are certainly ballsier and cope with the cedar intrusion far better. 

• Like 2

Sorry to hear this turned into a dud. I really like the RyJ Cedros De Luxe No. 1, so I had expected these to be similar. Glad I didn’t bite.

Does anyone know if the Cedros De Luxe No. 1/2/3 are still in production? Haven’t seen them around for quite a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't get me started....

29 minutes ago, Philc2001 said:

Does anyone know if the Cedros De Luxe No. 1/2/3 are still in production? Haven’t seen them around for quite a while.

No. 1 been disc'ed (of course...:rolleyes:), two and three - officially... - still in production. The No.1 is slowly being cleared from the shelves and starting to become htf. I expect the No. 2 to be axed next. Or the complete series, as format-wise the No. 3 is cannibalizing on the Coronitas en Cedro, which is coming at almost half the price (and lower qual.) and being way more popular.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Much prefer the Romeo y Julieta Romeo de Luxe Edición Limitada 2013. That is a cracking cigar. 

I am not into cedar profiles and on that cigar it is what I find most of all in terms of flavour. Light bodied to my mind. Some R&J pofile but I need a deeper richer cigar.  I actually do enjoy the Cedros 1/2/3 but they are certainly ballsier and cope with the cedar intrusion far better. 

That's good advice. Thanks Rob. 

I was looking at these cigars last night and thought about trying one.  I suspect we'll be ringing praise down the road so I'll let them sit for another year or longer...  No rush to smoke.

Really sorry to hear about you having such a poor experience with this cigar. I've smoked a box of these and never had any burn or construction issues at all. I'll post some pics of my smoking experience with them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JLFIRST said:

Really sorry to hear about you having such a poor experience with this cigar. I've smoked a box of these and never had any burn or construction issues at all. I'll post some pics of my smoking experience with them.

I appreciate the feedback! You, @Lotusguy, @FatherOfPugs... nice to know a few people out there had a good time with this cigar!

I had a RyJ CdL purchased from that certain Hong Kong online retailer - so not sure the year of the box.

but it was one of the nicest cigars I had in 2017. smoked it christmas eve, and enjoyed it immensely.

• Like 1

Weather finally was nice today after a week of rain and no cigars, so I had a RyJ Cedros de Luxe while walking the pugs, finishing it at home in the backyard. No construction issues to report, draw was great, burn was pretty even, flavors were all there.
20180226_160630.thumb.jpg.39a3f0a41acc63ece1f683f83ca5e019.jpg

First third was heavy on the cedar, lots of woody notes, along with some spice, and a lingering sweetness on the palate.
20180226_162518.thumb.jpg.107002c6e0b6f100c121341c2bc6bddf.jpg

Second third, cigar opens up, tons of spicey notes along with some dark cherry notes, cedar is still present although not as heavy. No issues to speak of.

20180226_164551.thumb.jpg.3815e9f312b54677b6dfe5d65a516f1e.jpg

Final third, cigar goes back to being heavy on the cedar, and still has a lingering sweetness on the palate, some spice still hangs in there. Overall, very pleasant cigar.

20180226_170005.thumb.jpg.1768d101ef7d7ff9759ae40aaf655776.jpg
It's one of my favorite cigars that's been released recently

• Like 2