What would you do?...

zeedubbya

Looking for suggestions on what you would do with this...I already have an idea of what I would do, but would like everyone else’s thoughts. I picked it up for $100 and the cooling system doesn’t work (although I think it was possibly just wired wrong...)..

I would appreciate a brief explanation like this—“Clean smell out with baking soda and newspapers, take out those wood shelves and add beads and put in boxes.” or “Isolate the evaporator (I dunno if this is even right?), Connect the cooling system up to your CigarClimatology controls, leave the shelves, make sure it works perfectly then move the boxes over.”

This is just for fun and learning really....I am curious what other people here would do here. Thank you.

b77527a261cd11e8a8f19505c6d7bf2e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well first off, put some orders in and fill that beauty up.

Great suggestion, but my idea in this area is to shift stock “upward.” Fill this up with aging stock, move overflow in storage bins to the cabinet humidor now holding the aging stock and use empty storage bins as a cellar for pipe tobacco...

Nice score @zeedubbya! I just acquired my second inoperable wine cooler, through work, although both of mine are of the under-counter variety, so much shorter. I’ll post some pics to show you what’s worked well for me (I’ve had the first one operating perfectly as a humidor for over a year now).

BTW, you’ll likely ditch a bunch of those nice wood shelves to make the space more workable for boxes. I’d love to purchase some off you if you decide to.

• Like 1

Step one. Take out most of those shelves. Only need four or five at the most.

Step two. Buy a step ladder. (Maybe this is only for short asses like@Fuzz).

Step three clean insides with bicarb.

Step four leave open with a pedestal fan blowing into it for two or three days.

Step five. Get as much cedar wood(or close enough... empty boxes or pieces of wood from inside boxes) and keep inside with a few humidifiers

Step six. Move boxes in. Use step laddder for top shelf.

• Like 2

Here’s my wine cooler set up, with the newest addition on the left. Both inoperable, but they make for perfectly sealed boxes. I keep them in a constantly air conditioned room for consistent temp control.

IMG_8880.thumb.JPG.59cd5deeac8c8c30d776c95f7acc231d.JPG

IMG_8883.thumb.JPG.0d4d89b43dfa7a45a1bd10b5dda11f0c.JPG

I just spread 65% Boveda packs throughout. I recently purchased some 320 g Bovedas, so just one or 2 should keep each box at perfect RH (when the small packs are ready to change)

IMG_8882.thumb.JPG.149c32d9d37ccde41106cc9742ead390.JPG

Just cleaned the newest box out with nothing special, just warm water. I seal up all pukas (Hawaiian for holes) with aluminum duct tape, the type shown in the next pic. as @LordAnubis says, get as much cedar as you can in the box for a while, although your wood shelves will pretty much do the trick. I really didn’t have any issues with plastic smell, especially once a few boxes were introduced. Also, you likely have some built in circulation fans in your unit. It would be great if you could at least make those operable (although mine have none and work fine).

IMG_8884.thumb.JPG.7921a1490d52de38035a8cbb379b8fc1.JPG

IMG_8885.thumb.JPG.99c629f50860472ed6ee9aaa02ee3d2f.JPG

Lastly, employ a reliable guard animal for security purposes.

IMG_8886.thumb.JPG.a4376bbf9db5d8641db79458a4a0fde5.JPG

Aloha! Brad

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LordAnubis said:

Step one. Take out most of those shelves. Only need four or five at the most.

Step two. Buy a step ladder. (Maybe this is only for short asses like@Fuzz).

Step three clean insides with bicarb.

Step four leave open with a pedestal fan blowing into it for two or three days.

Step five. Get as much cedar wood(or close enough... empty boxes or pieces of wood from inside boxes) and keep inside with a few humidifiers

Step six. Move boxes in. Use step laddder for top shelf.

At least I only need a 2 step ladder @LordAnubis unlike your 3 step ladder! :P

• Like 1

Here’s my wine cooler set up, with the newest addition on the left. Both inoperable, but they make for perfectly sealed boxes. I keep them in a constantly air conditioned room for consistent temp control.
[mention=15810]LordAnubis[/mention] says, get as much cedar as you can in the box for a while, although your wood shelves will pretty much do the trick. I really didn’t have any issues with plastic smell, especially once a few boxes were introduced. Also, you likely have some built in circulation fans in your unit. It would be great if you could at least make those operable (although mine have none and work fine).
IMG_8884.thumb.JPG.7921a1490d52de38035a8cbb379b8fc1.JPG

IMG_8885.thumb.JPG.99c629f50860472ed6ee9aaa02ee3d2f.JPG
Lastly, employ a reliable guard animal for security purposes.
IMG_8886.thumb.JPG.a4376bbf9db5d8641db79458a4a0fde5.JPG
Aloha! Brad

Looking good!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm going to have to try and find someone getting rid of a wine cooler, while I've got a cabinet in my home office, one of these would look great and hold a ton more stuff down the poker/cigar lounge.