when you were young...

Had a job fair in high school with many things to pick from, and then you did a written report about that trade/career. I chose Forestry as I like the outdoors and felt it would be a low pressure way to live. I ended up as a contractor building custom homes. So, I do get to work with forestry products, but I really missed on the low pressure side of things. Why did things change, or misdirect?  Had the opportunity, and made a gutsy move. It was difficult at times, and a big learning curve, but I've been pretty successful and happy, so feel I made the right move. 

• Like 1

Nope, I took the Heating and AC class after high school because I was a F-off and didn't learn anything up to that point in my life. The neighbor guy was the instructor and he said he would help me when needed( I thought I was dumb because I did so poorly in HS).I worked extra hard in class to make sure I made it and ended up top of my class.It worked out OK.

• Like 1

Wanted to be a marine biologist or undercover DEA agent when I was younger....went to school to become a Chiropractor....I am now in Sales and I am happy

Marine biologist as well. Then my dad told me the neighbors kid graduated with a degree in marine biology and worked at Sportmart in the fishing section.
Now live in the desert and also in sales.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

Wanted to be a professional baseball player. Didn't have to be MLB, just get paid to play ball.

Wanted to be a teacher.

I get paid like shit, but I love it and make a difference. Had many opportunities over the years to make triple, quadruple and more of my current salary. Didn't give any of them a second thought. Winning.

I wanted to play a professional sport, but that didn't go to plan.  I had no clue what I wanted to do in high school or even college.  Went and got a business and a finance degree.  I have been working in the financial institution industry for 9 years now ever since I got out of college.  Interesting as my mom and her mom and her mom came from working in the financial institution industry.  I guess I was destined. 

I wanted to be a scuba diver then play AFL for Richmond Tigers. But reality kicked in. So, at twelve I was in love with Samantha from Bewitched. Being a good drawer, I thought becoming an advertising guy like Darren Stephens would be good. Unfortunately, I've encountered many Larry Tates in my career as an advertising writer. Some great memories too and good friends made. 

I wanted to be a fighter pilot but crap eyesight put paid to that idea. Not only am I very myopic but I also have astigmatism which means I can’t judge depth of field very well. I once demonstrated why that makes for a bad combination for a pilot when I wrecked the landing gear on a glider by making a very hard landing (poor depth of field meant I couldn’t judge how high off the ground I was and my rate of descent)!

Guest Nekhyludov

I dreamed of being an astronaut when I was a kid. I've applied to the astronaut traning program at NASA every four years since 2005. 

I'm certain it's gonna happen for me any day now :lol:

Always wanted to be an entrepreneur. I spent a lot of time with my grandfather and he instilled in my the entrepreneurial spirit, the good and the bad. growing up, I didn't know what exactly what I wanted to do but I knew it didn't involve a traditional career path, I wanted to stick it out on my own. Win or fail, no matter the outcome, I was determined to start a business. I Dabbled in a few things before finding out what I wanted to do with my life. Kept at it worked hard and it payed off. 

Things are starting to look up, finally found my niche, it's tough but I would not trade it in for anything in the world. It's fun that I am still young, lots of time to develop things further.

Wanted to be a pilot in the RAAF. Aced all their tests and got in the top 1 percentile for candidates, but failed on two counts. Half a centimeter too short (did suggest plenty of non-flying opportunities) but more importantly, the psychological evaluation. :lol:

Odd thing, though. After I got rejected (19 at the time), 2 years later I found I had grown 1cm taller. Didn't bother re-applying.

Bummed around a bit, then started climbing the corporate ladder. After 12 years of that crap, ditched it to go work in the family biz doing importing.

As a pre-teen, I was convinced I wanted to be a detective. Loved watching shows like Mannix, Banacek (one cool dude), and yes, Hawaii 5-0.

It became more apparent as a teenager that I was quite mechanically inclined, so I went to tech school to become a heavy-equipment mechanic....ended up in charge of harvesting for Maui Pineapple Company. Pretty natural progression :P

Never had a dream job when I was a kid. When I was in high school though physics and learning trajectories got me interested in forensics and detective work. Too short to become a cop apparently. Forensic science I did for one year till I realised only a few exist in Aus cos we don’t have enough people killing each other.

Went to mining school. Told them I hate maths. He said be a geologist or a metallurgist. Didn’t want to be a rock licker so I signed up for metallurgy. Going into the first class I had absolutely no idea what metallurgy was.

Now I love the mining life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No way man!

After 6 months of living the highly enjoyable bum life, and standing in the Centrelink line (that was an experience!) im going back to work.

:phew:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wanted to be a photographer, but in high school I got this idea in my head that photographers only shoot weddings or work for newspapers.  Instead I went to college for my other talent, mathematics.  I had to take a studio art course while there, which was photography, and was introduced to the view camera.  My teacher shot with an 8x10; I eventually bought a 4x5.  After school I taught high school for three years, and, at the same time, realized I hated the politics of it and found out there are a whole group of photographers that only shoot buildings, which I shot anyway in my free time.  So I left teaching to become a commercial photographer in late 2007.  Probably the worse time to specialize in photographing buildings, with a lot of struggles along the way, but I'm still in here.  Been in business a little over 10 years and I've never looked back. 

• Like 1

I wanted to be a cop, but my step father kicked me out of the house at age 16. Spent years trying to figure out what I was good at. Started in the Financial Services business at age 32. And 25 years later. My wife and I own our own Insurance brokerage business. Absolutely, the best decision I ever made. 

20 hours ago, shlomo said:

Wanted to be a professional baseball player. Didn't have to be MLB, just get paid to play ball.

Wanted to be a teacher.

I get paid like shit, but I love it and make a difference. Had many opportunities over the years to make triple, quadruple and more of my current salary. Didn't give any of them a second thought. Winning.

We seem to be very similar. I played some college baseball, but found that I loved coaching and teaching and that's what I do now. I also wouldn't trade it fkr the world.

• Like 1