when you were young...

Grew up on a farm, cattle, row crops, and timber. Driving by myself when I was 9, what a great way to grow up. Went to university, ran a couple of successful businesses, but hated sitting  behind desk and paper work. Now manage my timber land, glad to find my way back.

Aside from the obvious like vampire hunter, or space cowboy, or hooker bounty hunter, I always wanted to help people.  Never realized what that meant, but I fell into being a Public Defender and that's exactly what it is. 

• Like 1

At four years old, I declared to my mother than I wanted to be either an alligator or a lion when I grew up.  Needless to say, as I sit here in retirement, my dreams were never realized.  On the other hand I did try to become a full-time jazz musician after college. But after a couple of years I got tired of eating one meal a day and sleeping on friends' floors.  Ended up in the business world somehow, then became a university professor as a second career. But now in retirement I can finally afford to be playing sax in 3 jazz bands and a jam band (still making the same $20 a night plus free beer that we made 40 years ago).  It's no alligator gig, but it's not half bad. 

Check out the jam band - playing some originals at a local music festival

https://soundcloud.com/mi00ke/sets/mostly-young-band

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, westg said:

Would not mind at all....be on day 2 ...when I would be 150 + ....that is my mind set......;) 

did it rain for a day?

i'd be aiming for 150 by tea day one. and then 6 catches and two stumpings when we bowled.

actually, what i really would have loved was to be able to bat for a day and half to save a test v poms which meant we retained the Ashes.

Just now, Ken Gargett said:

did it train for a day?

i'd be aiming for 150 by tea day one. and then 6 catches and two stumpings when we bowled.

actually, what i really would have loved was to be able to bat for a day and half to save a test v poms which meant we retained the Ashes.

And all of that....but the thrill of walking out to open on day 1...80000 + screaming....first ball...would be electric...always dreamed of doing that....never been a Justin Langer fan...but the 250 he made boxing day test....an awesome iinings ...always thought it could not get much netter than that.....not bad for someone with a few to many wires crossed

6 minutes ago, westg said:

And all of that....but the thrill of walking out to open on day 1...80000 + screaming....first ball...would be electric...always dreamed of doing that....never been a Justin Langer fan...but the 250 he made boxing day test....an awesome iinings ...always thought it could not get much netter than that.....not bad for someone with a few to many wires crossed

loved langer. loved the way that determination would carry him past blokes with potentially more talent. not that he lacked talent. loved that 'it is not a matter of life or death, it is way more important' attitude.

met him in hong kong a few years back and got to have a good chat. he was fearsomely loyal to his mates and the team - even to the point of it being a smidge silly at times. but can't fault the bloke for that.

a good mate of mine in the west knows him well. speaks very highly of him, as a bloke - perhaps more so than any other cricketer out of the west. told me of some instances where langer gave away gear and signed bats and so forth to sick kids but did it so that no one in the press would ever find out. some would call a press conference to give away a signature. as a qlder, i was a fan of hayden (less so last few years as he hung on too long) but if i was in the trenches, i'd rather be standing next to langer.

• Like 1

When I was a kid (like 8) I wanted to be a garbage man. I thought there couldn’t be anything cooler than riding around on the back of a truck, throwing bags in the backend and crushing them! In high school I was a bag boy at a grocery store. Best job I ever had and will probably go back when I retire so long as robots haven’t taken the task ?

loved langer. ...

I loved JL too. Definitely one of the greats. His record as coach is impress too.

I used to go to the "Justin Langer cricket camp" each summer as a kid. A really fun few days.

He is also an accomplished martial artist. Super tough by all accounts (no surprises). Apparently he used to do a kata called "Sanchin/ 3 battles" to get fired up and focused before going out to bat!

To answer the OP another vote for a youngster dreaming of playing test cricket. Or the military. Did neither now a lawyer.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk