Drivers are more likely to die in a car crash in Cuba than in Florida

I was Havana last year and found the traffic to be just as safe a normal USA city.  However, I have been told that the country side has some pretty dangerous roads. 

One site that I saw, and wish I had my camera out when I did, was a bus packed like a NYC subway car going about 45 mph with no doors.  There were a couple people standing on that first stair, holding on to the railing, like it was no big deal. 

No shock seeing this stat. From my trip in October I saw one guy sitting on the hood of one car with his feet up, pushing the broken down car on Linea. Hands up and smile on his face, with it pouring rain.  Our buddy there laughs and says "oh man, this is what we call a Cuban tow truck"

High accident and mortality rates seem to be a common issue when it comes to driving in Latin America in general. I didn't spend much time in cars while in Cuba, but I rented a car when I stayed in Guatemala on the same trip. Boy, it was HARROWING. I'd been in the country for a couple weeks before I was scheduled to pick up a lady friend and a rental car. Each day I'd read about some horrible accident in the local news, and I was getting a taste taking buses and taxis. After each day driving, I needed a number of drinks to decompress. Just a bad combination of tricky, narrow roads, crazy drivers (including bus drivers passing cars going downhill around blind curves), random crap being in the roadway, etc. Very nerve-wracking. Puerto Rico was scary, too. And the baseball world has lost a number of players due to accidents in the Dominican Republic. I've driven a bit in Mexico, and it's not near as scary there, though it seems to depend on the area.