Bolivar Corona Gigantes - The Discontinued Churchill No One Knew They Wanted

I was curious if there was any indication that the Bolivar Corona Gigantes would be making a last swan song on FOH again before disappearing forever. 

I was lucky enough to get a box and in my moment of weakness both opened and smoked well over half prior to the announcment they would be DCd.

I haven't seen any in many months and have been checking far more often than my wife and bank account would like :lol:.

Any thoughts on this or whether they will be somewhat available on the secondary market going forward?

• Like 1

I've been praying that they surface on 24:24 one last time....  The Don Alejandros don't seem to quit (which is excellent) but the BCG, which was cut by Habanos in the same year, has not been on 24:24 for quite some time.

Is there any hope?!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

They are gone my friend :neutral:

The minute they were announced to be discontinued, hundreds and hundreds of boxes walked out the door. 

Thanks, Prez.... I feared this was the case.....

12 minutes ago, crking3 said:

Why were they discontinued...

...because they are actually good and nobody realized it until they got discontinued ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This, IMO.   First large format that really knocked me over....  managed to squirrel away 6-7 boxes before , during and after the announcement early last year.  And I don't even smoke big cigars with any regularity at all....  

• Like 1

I suspect that they'll hang around here in The UK for a while, it's not been all that long since we saw the last of the Boli coronas extra, which was cut in 2012.

1 hour ago, crking3 said:

...Did they start to be coveted because they were discontinued...

Personally, I don't doubt that at all, at least to some degree. There's nothing like telling someone that they can't have something for much longer to suddenly make them want it above all else. It is a classy cigar though, it must be said.

Large format cigars seems to be out of favor with the non internet cigar buyer as most people don't have a spare 90min to 2 hours for a cigar
Hell, I cant seem to find time for a PC these days, so I can understand why the wider community wouldn't be interested in them

People seem to forget that this forum (and others like it) are not a fair representation of cigar buyers as a whole

A clear case of an item becoming coveted because they were going to be no longer made. Nobody cared and they were readily available EVERYWHERE prior. Wonder how many boxes were squirreled away for eventual resale.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Lotusguy said:

A clear case of an item becoming coveted because they were going to be no longer made. Nobody cared and they were readily available EVERYWHERE prior. Wonder how many boxes were squirreled away for eventual resale.

Hundreds and hundreds

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lotusguy said:

I won't be a buyer. Didn't like them enough to pick them up for $227/box and sure as hell not going to pay more on secondary.

I enjoyed them quite a bit. Smoked several boxes before they were discontinued. My fault for not picking up some after they were discontinued, figured they would be around much longer than they were. You snooze, you lose....

16 hours ago, crking3 said:

Why were they discontinued and what makes them so great? Did they start to be coveted because they were discontinued or because they are actually good and nobody realized it until they got discontinued ? Lol

Here comes the broken record. I don't think the BCG was particularly approachable young.  Young and wet the cigar was a tannic harsh bear. Throw in a few construction problems and the cigar was terrible for the average consumer buying one or two at a time at his B&M. The last cab I had took a long time to come around and when it did it was unbelievable. I shared the last of them with a friend and remember thinking that I was a fool to give away cigars that were so good to a guy who was inexperienced. 

• Like 2

FEB 16s are good and I'm sure they will continue improve for many years.  One of the few cigars I've really enjoyed young.  I split a box with a couple forum members hear, when I smoke through  the 10 I recieved I will probably wait a couple years before I crack open a new box.  

2 hours ago, crking3 said:

How long did they take ?

My rule of thumb is five years. The ‘06 cab I had took a bit longer and took me years to smoke through. 

I go to Paris in a month, and I don't think tobacconist can do any online sales in France.  I'm hoping I can find one store that has at least a box. 

AFAIK, as soon as people started realizing these were outstanding in late 15 the cut was announced and they started flying off the shelves. I was lucky enough to have tried several from 16 and they were tremendous. An absolute shame as I'd be buying them right now if they were smoking as well as they were. 

• Like 2

Just about everything. But.....I don't smoke that many cigars. May be 2 a week so I can lay them down. It's just my preference.

• Like 1

• JohnS changed the title to Bolivar Corona Gigantes - The Discontinued Churchill No One Knew They Wanted