Bolivar Corona Gigantes - The Discontinued Churchill No One Knew They Wanted

That particular year's list of discontinuances included what seemed to be an unusually high number of surprises for the public--even the classic H. Upmann Petit Coronas were axed.  At the time, I asked Rob what he suggested buying from among the discontinued list and his answer was BCG. I put it off. They remained available for quite a while. I kept putting it off and then the light went out--everywhere. Oops. I miss them too but we did have plenty of warning.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2018 at 2:26 PM, foursite12 said:

That particular year's list of discontinuances included what seemed to be an unusually high number of surprises for the public--even the classic H. Upmann Petit Coronas were axed. 

I agree. Even though HSA is gunning for Churchills I admit I didn't see the BCG cut coming. With the Boli lineup getting thinner and thinner and the BCG being what I would consider a classic model it just caught me off guard. The Boli Tubos No. 1 was much less of a surprise. Coronas and Lonsdales are public enemy number one for HSA. But the BCG was so much better than anything else. Just amazes me that they put so much effort into a cigar so close to a cut. I mean 15/16 BCGs were 95-96 points right out of the gate. Maybe the best CC produced at that time.

Same with the HUPC. It's been a high-quality cigar for the last 5+ years and developed quite a following. I can't imagine sales were that poor for it. Definitely was a surprise to me also. 

Meanwhile, the RyJ Ex 3 and HU Regalias kick around for no reason. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Vortigan said:

I dread a waking nightmare in future when they take The BBF to the scaffold. They wouldn't...they couldn't......could they?? :thinking: :no:

Keep looking at current box codes. BBF is JUN 17 or thereabouts. They are moving which is a great sign. 

I would be more concerned with RA Small Club Corona, RG Perla, PL Montecarlo/Panetela Extra, SLR Regio. 

2 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Keep looking at current box codes. BBF is JUN 17 or thereabouts. They are moving which is a great sign. 

I would be more concerned with RA Small Club Corona, RG Perla, PL Montecarlo/Panetela Extra, SLR Regio. 

I think the BBF is quite safe. They've shown no interest in killing Campanas of any brand. Special releases in Campanas have been regular since 2008--Edmundo Dantes, RA Beli & Especial, ERDM Torpedos, PL Beli, Punch SdO2. In fact, I don't believe Cuba has ever killed a Campanas post-Rev.

Important to note is that they almost never release special releases in Coronas, Lonsdales, Marevas or Churchills even Double Coronas--all sizes HSA loves to cut.

Also, BBF has a huge following and is and probably always has been Bolivar's best-selling model. Is that true for you?

Of the others you mentioned, HSA has also never killed a Minutos. They seem to support those. The RG Perlas are a fairly new release so I doubt they'll be cut soon if at all and I think if the PLMC has survived this long it's probably here to stay along with the LGC MdO4. The last refuges for us lovers of the long skinnies. 

The SLR Serie A may already be toast and if that's true the Regios isn't going anywhere. Even if the A isn't cut, it's a limited production cigar and I doubt they would reduce the brand to only that model. 

Much more likely the VR Famosos gets the axe. The SPNP, SCEM, VRDA are all more likely as well IMO.

On 2/26/2018 at 7:10 PM, El Presidente said:

Where does the BBF rank in terms of overall sales and specifically for the marca? is it the best-selling Boli for you?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have these in 2015 and 2016 box codes. They are very, very good.  I like them better than the BBF, BRC and usually the BPC. Problem is that construction suffers somewhat too often. I use the PerfecDraw to salvage the stinkers, then relegate them to the golf course. Anyone else have issue with BCG construction (tight draw)?

• JohnS changed the title to Bolivar Corona Gigantes - The Discontinued Churchill No One Knew They Wanted