Throwback Review Weekend........one of your first.

Do you remember your first cigars? Is there a chance you may have something lying around from those early years?

It really doesn't matter what it is. Ken use to love smoking Monte 5's  while he was watching Welcome Back Kotter. He only ever wanted to grow a head of hair like Epstein. 

Go to your humidor.....dig around. Look under your humidor.   When you come across something that triggers " that brings back memories"  Then you have found your cigar to review this weekend. 

Start a new thread for each. 

• White Owl: Circa: 1985: Throwback Review Weekend. 
  • Post a photo and a review
  • Reminisce as to what you were doing back then. 
  • How does that cigar stand up today?
  • Have some fun
  • Extra ticket for the draw if you include a photo of you at the time :D

3 prizes. 3 Talisman.    One to the review with the most likes and the other 2 to be drawn by Greg Tuesday local time. 

I look forward to reading the reviews!

• Like 2

Oh I think I have some Casa Blanca toros I bought from JR's back in the late 90's... but they are in my humidor in Oregon. Looking forward to some interesting reviews.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Presidente said:

Do you remember your first cigars? Is there a chance you may have something lying around from those early years?

It really doesn't matter what it is. Ken use to love smoking Monte 5's  while he was watching Welcome Back Kotter. He only ever wanted to grow a head of hair like Epstein. 

Monte 5's? Is this Ken we are talking about? 

• Haha 1

My first real encounter with cigars was with my grandfather. He used to smoke a case of Flora Danica’s every week. By the end of the week he poured all the ashes and stumps into an empty box. I was fascinated by the smell from very young. I must have been 6 or 7 when one day a strange wanderer arrived at my grandparents house and I opened the door on my grandfathers orders. The man came to collect a full box of stumps and ashes. We all sat down in my grandpa’s office and the man opened the box, spat in it and with three fingers grabbed a stump full of spit and ashes, twisted it around and stuck it under his upper lip! Yes, nothing was left to garbage in those days.

I never had the nerve to steal one of those Floras but admit that my first cigar (actually cigarillo) was a Caminante stolen from my grandmother some 5-6 years later. Seems a lifetime ago, God rest her soul and forgive my sin.

• Like 1

When I was real young it was cigarettes, then a little of the wacky cigarettes. Neither were of much interest. Later I was working with a bunch of old carpenters and they did chew so why not... well that was an education for my stomach and not a  pleasant one. I saw snuff in a tobacco store and gave that a try decided that was an acquired taste I did not  want to invest in. Then it was off to the south China sea floating around underwater and cigarettes made a little come back. However while  in Hong Kong on liberty trying to avoid the smell of the British navy covering itself with tattoo's I wandered into a store and picked up some Cubans that I had heard about but never seen and cigars became my friend while standing watch. It was a few years before I was able to slow myself down , but fishing trips and hanging with lads after golf or softball taught me the enjoyment of a friends company and a good cigar. Its those experiences I remember and look forward to when having a smoke.

Thanks to all who jumped in on this one.

I remember my first cigar, a JL Seleccion No.4 on the deck with Rob, Ben and Alastair. I don't recall much about the cigar but the the events that followed after were forever memories. Alastair was so light headed and woozy from the experience that he could barely walk down the stairs. He then proceeded to vomit out off Ben's passenger side window on the way home. Safe to say, Ben wasn't too impressed after just having his car detailed at Hoppy's (an expensive car detailer in OZ) and Alastair was cleaning his car at 9/10pm on a Friday night. Classic!

Anyway, time for some winners!

Most liked: @mkz

Random 1: @99call

Random 2: @Lant63

Congratulations! Send me a PM with your preferred shipping address and the crew will get a prize on the way to you.

Throwback.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1