New Humi Cabinet

I was browsing the electronics section at Carrefour yesterday and came across this. Billed as an electronics storage cabinet, the literature claims it will maintain constant RH adjustable between 25 and 55. it sells for 3200 NT or about $100 USD. The door has a magnetic seal, it has three shelves, the "precision imported from Germany hygrometer" and key. The humidification device does not need water and lowered the empty box to 45 RH fairly quickly. 55 RH is pretty low so I used the device to get the RH down and then turned it off allowing beads and Boveda to maintain 65. Overnight it has been stable. For $100 its a great deal, plus unlike a coolerdor I get to gaze upon my lovelies 

MVIMG_20180224_095232.jpg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, PrairieSmoke said:

Wow, this is pretty interesting, any idea what it uses to control the humidity?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A little black box that you plug into the wall. lol 

The manual

Humi Cab_000022.jpg

7 minutes ago, Martin_F said:

Nice score! And great selection you got in there!

And room enough for 4 inbound boxes!

19 minutes ago, PrairieSmoke said:

After doing a little googling it looks like these are designed for storing things like DSLR cameras.

Nice find for 100!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a Taiwan based company www.drytech.com.tw (assuming it is ok to post a link??) 

30 minutes ago, CooGAR said:

Wonder how much this one is.....I might need 2 of them! 

cd-206.jpg.c8c8e1d31bdd9b88d7ac679a6ff40a69.jpg

Sadly I think shipping would make it cost prohibitive. 

I'm wondering if the humidifier is drying only, with no option to add fluid it would seem to make sense.

I may add an oasis or hydra if Boveda and beads have trouble keeping the RH high enough as we get into warmer temps in March, meaning AC running 24/7.

I've been running on these for years.

There is a desiccant at the rear of this box that gently sucks out humidity and air whenever it senses that the interior is above a pre-set humidity.

Downside is that the internal atmospheric pressure can be a smidgen below 1atm due to the air being thinner inside.

7 minutes ago, Wilzc said:

There is a desiccant at the rear of this box that gently sucks out humidity and air whenever it senses that the interior is above a pre-set humidity.

Downside is that the internal atmospheric pressure can be a smidgen below 1atm due to the air being thinner inside.

Cool, I'll buy a big one for conditioning should I decide to climb Everest. 

28 minutes ago, Wilzc said:

Are you here in Taiwan? 

8 hours ago, Wilzc said:

Pretend I’m the Skipper or Gilligan and you’re the Prefessor ... what does this mean?  How would thinner air affect cigars?

Considering MC instead of % relative humidity.

If a said container has 30 molecules of water and 70 molecules of air, that would very loosely translate to about 30% moisture in the air.

If said container now has 15 molecules of water and 35 molecules of air, that would still very loosely translate to about 30% moisture in the air!

However! there is now much less moisture content in the air :(

I keep my cigars at about 67-69% RH at 70-80F and I find them a little bit on the drier side which I actually prefer.

Also, I have found that loose cigars in this box kinda loose their aroma quickly. That fresh, just opened box aroma. BUT this does not affect the cigar's taste at all.

• Like 1

Some of you guys are confusing aH or absolute humidity to relative humidity. Relative humidity is a means by which to determine aH and a means by which to predict cigar condition. The fact remains that cigar condition really has to do with the temperature of the cigar (tobacco leaf) or air temperature (assuming that they are one and the same) and a relationship to rH. For tobacco, as in determining aH, rH and temperature cannot be separated.

Directly correlating air saturation and tobacco percent moisture content is a mistake many novices as well as experts make. Tobacco being hygroscopic, depends on its own characteristics, its own isotherms (for lack of a better term) as its hygroscopicity and it has nothing to do with air. It is also a fact that water saturation in space has nothing to do with air as well!

Cheers! -Piggy

• Like 1