Oh Boveda

FatPete

I dutifully packed my smokes with a boveda on my travels but they never tasted as good as at home . I think the picture says why. 

Has anyone experienced anything like this Boveda malfunction ?

(Hygrometer double zip locked with boveda after 5 days to be sure, and yes hygrometer works fine)

image.jpeg

If you’re inclined, call Boveda support line, or drop them an email.  I had questions about their products, including the functional accuracy, and they were awesome!  Answered my questions, and sent me a calibration kit for free.  Yes, a small jesture, but I’m a big fan of Boveda in general.  The technical concept of their products is simple, and they’ve done a good job executing (in my opinion).  They work well for me.

I have not had this happen.  Every time I've been concerned about my bovedas they've always tested fine (and the failure has always been elsewhere).  I'm curious what boveda says if you hit them up.

Edited by etakmit
completed my thought

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Bovedas is an aqueous salt solution product working through a semi-permaible membrane. It is not a pure salt solution and therefore still susceptible to isothermal temperature variations. Regardless, this reading does not mean that the product is defective.
You should understand that these products are supposed to deliver a constant rH reading regardless of temperature. So, what happens when the temperature varies? What you see here is what can happen!
We live in the real world. Most people think that these products work as promised 'real time.' While they may function, transfer water vapor constantly, they are governed by real time roadblocks called hysteresis. Think of hysteresis as the time you have to react to the squirrel you just ran over... You might have stopped if you could, but it just happened too fast for you to react. That is hysteresis, or a reasonable explanation.
So lets say your temperature ran on the high side, or this bag got into the sunlight. The temp ran up and the rH fell inside. The product warmed and transferred a lot of water into the bag. Then the temperature falls. All that water is left in the bag waiting to be taken back up by the salt solution, through the membrane. You just mashed the squirrel...
These products are not best for variable temperature storage conditions. The pack itself will always be trailing the ambient temperature. They are reactive devises. They are not proactive devises!
-Piggy

So what do you use for humidification?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

Vidast, please note I am not laughing at you but at the question you've asked Pigfish aka Ray.

You'll see the humour and laugh as well once you get a reply or search some of Pigfish's topics.

Welcome to FOH 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, hoyopr said:

Vidast, please note I am not laughing at you but at the question you've asked Pigfish aka Ray.

You'll see the humour and laugh as well once you get a reply or search some of Pigfish's topics.

Welcome to FOH 

9 hours ago, vidast said:

So what do you use for humidification?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One parametric logic controller in series with a programable logic controller (that I custom write firmware for), a compressor refrigerator, heater and humidifier! Oh.... with the aid of some industrial refining desiccant products that I blend myself...

Regular household stuff!!! -LOL

Hell, I don't do much of anything anymore come to think of it. It is likely 50F in the shop right now and close to 90rH and my cigars are all 70F and running about 61rH. I just sit and watch... or don't watch. 

5ac4dc62b95e8_Oct52017Gen1370-80F.thumb.png.3d641801603a8ad7ab869a9bf38f5702.png

A day (not today, to lazy to make a new pic) in the life of Piggy's cigars. This is a range of 70 to 80F (ambient) over the day in October. Boring really... day in, day out, 70/60... 70/60... 70/60... Not much changes 'round here if you are a cigar... unless it is your day to be sacrificed for the entertainment your master!

Cheers! Gentlemen... -the Pig

• Like 2
  • Haha 1