Blind Tasting Reviews Cigar Number 1 : FOH INT 2018 Blind Tasting Comp

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having a go at #1!

Pretty good. I'm not sure I guessed right but I'll be pissed off if it turns out to be one of my regular smokes. lol

Hmmmm... Yeah, difficult decision. Took one for the group Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Not so much impatient as having no humidor to keep it in at work :no: - So burned #1 tonight.... 

My take is as follows (I guess post it here?):

Blind Cigar #1

Campanas/Pyramid shape

Wrapper was medium brown, some mottling and slightly veiny. Construction looked good with no soft areas or serious flaws.

Cold aroma – leather, toasty with slight sweet kitchen spices.

Taste 1st – Initially a mild pepper, leather and hay. Very noticeable level of salty flavor and progressed to a piney wood and muted nut.

Taste 2nd – Salt, wood & hay continue with some coffee noted. Had very brief licks of floral and citrus (disappearing as quick as they showed up).

Taste 3rd – Less salt but still there; wood/hay still dominant. Leather returned, some slight creamy taste and pepper increasing.

Good amount of smoke – burn was ragged most of the time but not dramatically bad. Somewhere in the medium range - not too complex.

85/100 for my flavor profile preference

• Like 1

I put cigar #1 to the torch today, as the next few weeks will be very busy, and the weather is pretty nice.

Good looking cigar, with a medium brown wrapper. Sweetish aroma at cold.

The draw was much looser than I prefer, even with the small cut I made. 

I won't delve too deeply into flavors, but will say that I came down to a couple of possibilities for the identity of the cigar...and that it lacked the definitive notes of either, so I took my best guess.

It was a pleasant smoke, though I think a firmer draw might have made for a more distinctive experience.

• Like 1

...and that it lacked the definitive notes of either, so I took my best guess.

It was a pleasant smoke, though I think a firmer draw might have made for a more distinctive experience.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

On 3/20/2018 at 8:07 AM, fastkiller13 said:

What'd you think? Is it as tough as we all think it will be? 

My thoughts:

Cigar #1

Appearance: Colorado wrapper. Smooth, minimal veins. Slight box press. Firm. 

Aroma at cold: Toasted tobacco, slight cedar (this probably wasn’t in a SLB though). Cold draw is more toasted tobacco and slight saltiness on tongue and lips. Draw is slightly firm but close to perfect. 

Initial impressions: Good smoke volume. White pepper (especially on the retrohale). Graham cracker. Some woodiness. Bit of earth. Medium body and strength. Burn is very nice. 

First third: Leather. Damp earth. Some sweetness but fading. Salt. Slight baking spices (especially cinnamon). Great burn. Satisfying “chewiness” to the smoke. Rich. 

Second third: White pepper returning. A bit of caramel. Still has the leather and earth backbone. Burn and draw are still good. 

Final third: Actually mellows a bit. Some coffee and leather. A slight berry note in the background every once in a while. Toward the end, smokiness, like smoked meat.

Conclusion: I have a strong guess to what it is. It’ll be interesting to see. Overall, a solid, satisfying smoke. Interesting flavors, but doesn’t get in the way of itself. It’s not trying too hard. 91 points.  

• Like 1

I shouldn’t be doing this now cause I’m pretty congested which isn’t going to help my taste buds but I couldn’t wait any longer.  

Appearance:  Light Colorado wrapper.  Smooth with little veins. Slight box press. 

Cold: sweet hay.  Woodiness and earth

Initial:  bitter pepper.  Earthy tones with some leather. 

1st: slight sweetness with pepper.  Burnt leather and earth. Nice easy draw.  Medium in strength and body.  

2nd: Earth with pepper coming in and out.  My congestion is not helping this out right now.  I should have waited.  

3rd: mostly the same.  

Overall, this was a total bust.  I couldn’t taste much of anything and pretty pissed at myself for pushing through.  Oh well, I know what I’m going to guess.  Next month I’m going to make sure I smoke on a day when my allergies aren’t killing me

• Like 1

Giving Blind Cigar No.1 a crack tonight.

Great draw. Smooth on the retrohale. Touch of leather and dired nut. Let's see how it goes :) Happy smoking everyone. Hope you are having a good weekend.

20180325_215442.jpg

14 hours ago, Head83 said:

I shouldn’t be doing this now cause I’m pretty congested which isn’t going to help my taste buds but I couldn’t wait any longer.  

Appearance:  Light Colorado wrapper.  Smooth with little veins. Slight box press. 

Cold: sweet hay.  Woodiness and earth

Initial:  bitter pepper.  Earthy tones with some leather. 

1st: slight sweetness with pepper.  Burnt leather and earth. Nice easy draw.  Medium in strength and body.  

2nd: Earth with pepper coming in and out.  My congestion is not helping this out right now.  I should have waited.  

3rd: mostly the same.  

Overall, this was a total bust.  I couldn’t taste much of anything and pretty pissed at myself for pushing through.  Oh well, I know what I’m going to guess.  Next month I’m going to make sure I smoke on a day when my allergies aren’t killing me

Oh well. Sometimes the mind is willing but the flesh is weak. Good on you for giving it a go!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Luca said:

Oh well. Sometimes the mind is willing but the flesh is weak. Good on you for giving it a go!

The wife gave me two options for the day, cut out the ceiling or go to the cigar lounge.  I couldn’t pass on option 2 even if my allergies were acting up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The wife gave me two options for the day, cut out the ceiling or go to the cigar lounge.  I couldn’t pass on option 2 even if my allergies were acting up. 
Hmmmm... Yeah, difficult decision. Took one for the group

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Forgot to write a review. Last year I had bad luck with the sticks being plugged or burn issues this one really burned/drew well. After that it was an enjoyable smoke all the way through .  Looking forward to finding out what it is. Definitely don't think I've had it before.

• Like 1

Pre light soft sweet tobacco scent.  

Woody, slight sweetness medium strength.  Leather coming through.  Lots of leather, earth slight char.  Smell of molasses with slight sweet taste.  Small amounts of cream.  Cream and leather up front with earth and wordiness underneath.  Fungal, earthen floor coming into last of 1/3.

2/3. Cream and leather becoming more prominent.  Richer sweetness.  Mellowing out leather, cream and slight wood and mushrooms.  Aroma is much sweeter then on the palate.

Final third cream and sweetness are scarce with leather and mushroom overpowering .

• Like 2

1st third started put with a damp mustiness that wasnt off putting. Reminded me of an NC i used to like when i first started smoking cigars 6 yrs ago. Lots of wood on the retro. Theres a slightly rich savory almost umami like flavor going on. Not strong but it's there. Very mild beginning overall

2nd third and the flavors start getting bolder which im liking. The dampness increases and the wood that was prominent on the retro is mixing in with the normal smoke. Theres a flavor that kind of reminds me of red ginseng without the bitterness.

Final third not much different from the 2nd. Some espresso notes join the fun.

Overall a better than average cigar, although the flavors arent typically up my alley. Nice change of pace. Im assuming this is recent production and if it is, id be happily surprised at how well it smoked.

Sent from my SM-G955N using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Smoking No. 1 this evening while the wife is out on a yoga date (i want to make damn sure she out lives me!).  

Nice slightly rustic wrapper with a bit-o-sheen.  Tight roll, well packed, no soft spots.  Pleasantly firm draw. Some sweetness on pre-light draw.

Opens up with a sweet nutty that is great!  Getting strong tobacco and some milkieness.

Wrapper is not staying lit well at all, so having to touch up and puff frequently.  

Same core nuttie and strong tobacco flavor continues with the intensity building throughout the stick.

Enjoyed the cigar and definitely a unique flavor profile.  Do I know what it is?  Of course not, but I enjoyed the heck out of it!!!!

Notes on #1 blind taste test 52x 140 Belicosos
Draw at cold good
Good aroma , slight barnyard
Start 10:03am
At first light, burning well with slight hay taste and retrohale of shortbread medium to full flavor
End of first third
Still lots of bread and mild white pepper
Ash drop 10:28
Half way point
A dry hay taste coming in.
Burn has been good, no touch up necessary
Creaminess coming in at the second third.
Still bread on the retrohale
End 10:50
Overall. Very tasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

Guest Nekhyludov

Cigar #1 tasted like an NC Davidoff to me. The old ones with the Connecticut wrapper and bland filler. Not a good cigar.

MYSTERY CIGAR #1 - My Review

For the sampling I chose a Kirkland craft brewed Porter Ale. The cigar is 140mm in length, about 52 ring, so it must be a campana. The wrapper is a slightly wrinkled milk chocolate color with a nice reddish hue, it has a satiny smooth feel, but it looks somewhat dry. There are small veins throughout, and one large vein running the top third of the cigar.  The top 2/3 of the cigar felt well packed, but the bottom 1/3 was soft and a bit loose. 

I cut just a little of the pointy tip on a slight angle, and found the cold draw to be very light, with virtually no resistance at all. Initial body was mild, with a lovely light aroma of spanish cedar. Creamy thick, rich smoke from the start, with a slight hint of vanilla, and some very mild white pepper. The ash dropped right at the 1/3 mark, revealing slight tunneling, which I corrected with my torch. Now I'm picking up saltiness and slightly fungal tones. Smoke is voluminous and white, and the cigar is burning straight. The pepper is gone, but hints of cumin and paprika are wafting in and out, while sauted mushrooms have emerged in the forefront. Near the end of the second third I'm starting to sense a mild tingle on the tongue, but flavor and body remain mild.

Getting into the final third the cedar has diminished completely, and it has been replaced with a pleasant oaky and earthy aroma. Earth, mushrooms and loam dominate the forefront, with some saltiness still present but a bit subdued. There is a distinct vegetal, earthy, brewed tea flavor that has taken over. The last third didn't want to stay lit, so I relit twice.

Overall this is was a relatively mild and pleasant smoke, not overpowering in the least. The second half gave me a slight tingle on the tongue and lips. I could see adding a few of these to my rotation. I don't think I've had these before, so I'll have to take a guess at what I think it might be. I'm looking forward to the reveal.

• Like 1

Had No1 yesterday.   Paired with water.

Harsh, biting sourness at the back of my tongue. Not much smoke. About midway the stick went out and just didn't want to relight.  Set it down, went inside and left it to the desert air for a while.  Sounds over-wet, right?  Well, it's been stored at 60% since I received it, and the BCG nestled right next to it that whole time smoked the house down Friday.   <_<    Fired it back up after 30 minute, and after a few more relights managed to finish it. The second half had glimpses of familiarity... something baking somewhere.  I'm sure not a fine example of this smoke.  

Sometimes it happens....

3 hours ago, Fatshotbud said:

I find it very interesting how varied the comments have been so far. How many different boxes were required to get all participants their samples?

Think usually limited to 100 entries, so....   guessing 4 boxes of each vitola?