Blind Tasting Reviews Cigar Number 1 : FOH INT 2018 Blind Tasting Comp

First one in the books, paired it with a Berliner weisse from craftsman brewing, which moved into a la chouffe belgian strong ale. To start it was tangy nuttiness and a touch of sweet cedar up through the first third losing the tangyness. The rest of the smoke was very similar with bread pudding without the sweet,   doughy Wet not doughy dry? It ended with a bit of baking spice at the last 1/4. Young, on the mellow side. Now we wait for the results. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having a go at #1!

Pretty good. I'm not sure I guessed right but I'll be pissed off if it turns out to be one of my regular smokes. lol

Hmmmm... Yeah, difficult decision. Took one for the group Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Stream of consciousness review. Sorry people! Unlike my usual lassitude when it comes to reviews, I’m going to *attempt*  a bit more proper one this time around.  

Note: if you have not smoked your 1st blind cigar yet, I highly recommend dry-boxing for 24 hours, which I'm thinking really helped better my experience.   

First third: Dry woods, sawdust. Earthiness. Really nice marshmallow sweetness - wasn't expecting that. Medium body and finish. Mild white pepper. Maybe hint of leather. Drying feel to smoke but a bit oily on the tongue afterwards.   

Second third: A bit richer wood now. In the kitchen: oven’s on. Bakers spice. Hint of marzipan. Vanilla cake? Campfire finish with a bit of hickory. I could maybe see ginger, or just white pepper...something clearing the nostrils Wait...it’s horseradish infused! Lol. Touch of bitter espresso jumps in.    

Final third: A bit muddier now....very earthy . Youth seems to creep in. Crazy kids. Less defined sweetness, more savory leather character. More bitterness lingers on the tongue and roof of mouth. Now we’re in the wood shop. More hardwoods/oaky flavors unite triumphantly. Finish is longer now...maybe not a positive at this point. I think I’d enjoy this in a shorter format. Petit beli!  

Construction and burn were great throughout. Dry boxing really seemed to help, I would imagine.   

Overall impression: Sweet, savory wood. Tasty!   Could see this being a flavor mess, though, if it were a touch wet.   

Cheers and good luck all!  

I smoked cigar one yesterday and found it to be a nice smoking experience. The cigar had a medium brown wrapper with a slight reddish hue and a couple large visible veins/stems making the wrapper to appear rough/rugged. However upon closer evaluation, minus the veins, the wrapper seemed pretty good, with a silky smooth sheen to it. Nice draw, slightly restricted but not problematic by any means. Pre draw had floral/earth notes. 1/3 of the cigar I noticed great smoke output which has a creamy texture coating the mouth. Medium bodied with a pepper/spice predominant flavor coming through. 2/3 aroma noticeably picks up, flavors seem to muddle a bit, trying to determine if its predominately earth, leather, cedar or spice was difficult, I guess i would describe it as earth notes wrapped in a very nice toasted tobacco spine. Final 1/3 muddled earth flavor continues, creamy texture subsided after first 1/3, making it a rather one dimensional cigar, pleasant but a bit boring on the complexity front. I can see this being a great fishing/golfing cigar where complexity isn't so important and you are more looking for a quality smoke to enjoy at your leisure. Overall construction was on point minus a few large veins in the wrapper, draw and burn were near perfect, flavor albeit enjoyable, seemingly one dimensional. I found this to be a slightly better then average cigar, not great, certainly not bad, just a good smoking stock cigar. Overall i consider it to be a 85 point cigar.  

IMG-1169.JPG

IMG-1176.JPG

• Like 3

My first over blind cigar review...or official review of any sort

Lovely wrapper, incredibly smooth, construction is top notch, fill is great all around which is evident after cutting just the cap w/ my Cuban Crafters perfect cut (straight cut) cutter as the draw is just right, no resistance .  Many times these belicosos give me fits on the draw and I have to cut deep due to the tight roll, not in this case one bit..

Cold draw -- light, mild, sweet 

Pre-light draw ---  light pepper, wood, earthy

1/3 -- Draw is great, lots of smoke, early pepper on the retro almost to being harsh on the nose...but starts to smooth out as we get going...flip flop of wood to pepper ping pongs -- a slight tunnel is fixed with lighter but the smoke is medium; burn is perfect otherwise

2/3 -  More of the same continues, woody, earthy, lots of smoke, some pepper keep popping up but then goes totally mellow, smooth, some cream, some cold draw sweetness returns and a lovely 'cuban twang' flavor that I know too well arrives, just love it....a bit later another slow smoker tunnel needs correcting

3/3 -  not much changed in final 3rd, medium strength was still there in spades or maybe I had a couple two more drinks than I should have :-)?? more of that deep twang did come back - is that ligero?  dunno, i'm still a rookie 4 years into this journey...

Definitely some parts of the profile I really enjoyed... construction was spot on....i'd love to smoke another 2-3 to compare or in a small vitola.

I smoked cigar #1 last night. 

Looks/Draw: 140*52 with a tapered head. Light Colorado wrapper, one vein but not a huge one. Well rolled with tight seams and not very blotchy but one green smudge. Draw was one degree toghter than I like, no problem there.

Burn/Flavors: I paired my cigar with a single barrel Kentucky bourbon. The cigar burned very well requiring no touchups and the light gray ash made it to probably 2" before falling off. The flavors were mainly oak and cedar at first with some coffee. The bourbon may have enhanced the oakiness. Through the entire smoke the wood flavor dominated while coffee, baking spices and at one point a raisiny flavor made apprearances. The final 3" of the cigar turned slightly, showing some youth and harshness. 

Overall impression: Very good rolling and packing, good looking leaves, blending was ok. Medium strength and medium bodied. I give it a 7/10. Would be a good substitute when you just want to smoke and not focus on the flavors.

IMG_20180411_203459.jpg

IMG_20180411_213046.jpg

• Like 1

Hmmmm....reminded me of goat cheese, asparagus, hot peppers, arugula, mushrooms and Italian sausage!! Oh...wait a minute...that’s the pizza I’m having now!!! :D

606F28A7-711F-4E33-B441-121943A8703F.thumb.jpeg.9493f3ccaf87ecf8dc9987ddc5102a45.jpeg

Flawless burn and construction! Would smoke again! 

• Like 1

Finally got around to smoking #1, and just in time. Burn was good for the most part, only requiring a couple of touch ups. Draw was good and lots of good flavors. Not too full flavored, but I really enjoyed it. Have it narrowed down to a couple, but final submission will ultimately be a guess. Here's hoping I get off to a good start. 

• Like 1

I’m not really a fan of pyramid shaped cigars, so I’m fairly confident that I’ve never had this one before. That said, something on the retrohale reminds me of a favorite of mine. Of course, that just means my guess is most likely wrong.

It was a very enjoyable cigar with perfect construction. It might even be good enough to overlook the shape and make a purchase.

Thanks FOH...this is fun.

• Like 1

Fired up No. 1 today:
-box pressed-like feel
-wrapper not pretty (couldn't care less!)
-perfect draw/construction
-thick smoke
I totally enjoyed this stick. Looking forward to more!
0776006a29e1429eaa82e1ff47471a6a.jpg
930af60ef3194621edd41be4a0341a94.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by KRunch61
  • Like 1

Ok finally over the head cold that would make trying this difficult. I tried some suspects in the last week. I think I’m ready to nail this one? Number 1 was a good smoke. It has great construction and a draw a tad on the loose side. I got toasted tobacco, nutty and a faint sweetness flavors. The intensity picked up in the 2/3 that continued until I finished. I hope I get this one right because it won’t get easier from here! 

60E58746-3D79-41FD-AC98-E27DE4FCECC6.jpeg

• Like 1

I took this out last night and found it to be a fairly enjoyable smoke, although pretty one dimensional.  It opened with a musty, earthy bitterness that wasn't unpleasant, and that profile remained for the entirety of the cigar.  Apart from a slight increase in strength around the halfway point, there wasn't really any other developments throughout this smoke.  The construction was good, requiring no relights or touchups, even though I had taken it out for a walk.

From the very first draw, I had a sense of familiarity with that flavour profile.  I don't smoke a lot of pyramids so I wouldn't have had many of this particular cigar, but it immediately struck me as something I should know.  But of course I couldn't get my stupid brain to give me anymore insight than that, so I'm left to make a wild guess and then kick myself when I inevitably get it wrong.

5 hours ago, BuzzArd said:

Finding out I was wrong after a week-long wait doesn't bother me a bit.

;) 

Now, now....where's your confidence? I'm 99% sure my guess of Cohiba Lancero is spot on!?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I smoked #1 with water. When #2 comes up, are there any drink solections to go with it or should I stay with water?
Pair with your normal libation or just water.... No science - just to have Fun!

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

• Like 1