The Photography Thread

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some great images on this thread! Here are some recent shots from me - @hechoencamera on Instagram is the best way to keep up with me.

Ok, great thread idea. I'll play! I'm an amateur "picture taker" as Photographer I perceive may be too strong of a title for me. I love photography though and it's something that relaxes me and c

Here's a still life I shot when I got back from Cuba with some merchandise.  FYI, those "ice" cubes cost more then a Talisman ... each. 

2 minutes ago, JoeKitchen said:

I primarily shoot architecture and interiors professionally, and some still life.  Here are some images from a personal project I did in Havana, some of the architecture and some of street scenes I happened to find. 

Nice! They remind me how it felt to be in Havana. If only I’d had a decent camera with me at the time! As a pro, I’m guessing you have a big range of equipment. Do you have a preferred setup for personal use?

1 minute ago, ayepatz said:

Nice! They remind me how it felt to be in Havana. If only I’d had a decent camera with me at the time! As a pro, I’m guessing you have a big range of equipment. Do you have a preferred setup for personal use?

Before I talk about my setup, don't get too drawn in by great cameras and expensive gear.  Sure, certain types of camera do enhance one's options, but really it is the light one needs to pay attention to. 

For personal work such as this, which I shot as both a fun trip and to use in my marketing, I use my professional setup.  I have a digital modular system where the sensor is not part of the camera body, allowing me to use it in different camera bodies.  (Much like with film, where we had 35mm, medium format, 4x5 and 8x10 cameras, all with their unique qualities.)  Specifically I use a Phase One IQ260 (the digital back that holds the sensor) on either the Phase One XF body or an Arca Swiss RM3Di body.  The XF is great for handheld shots; the Arca, which can only be used on a tripod, is great for architecture and landscapes. 

10 minutes ago, JoeKitchen said:

Before I talk about my setup, don't get too drawn in by great cameras and expensive gear.  Sure, certain types of camera do enhance one's options, but really it is the light one needs to pay attention to. 

For personal work such as this, which I shot as both a fun trip and to use in my marketing, I use my professional setup.  I have a digital modular system where the sensor is not part of the camera body, allowing me to use it in different camera bodies.  (Much like with film, where we had 35mm, medium format, 4x5 and 8x10 cameras, all with their unique qualities.)  Specifically I use a Phase One IQ260 (the digital back that holds the sensor) on either the Phase One XF body or an Arca Swiss RM3Di body.  The XF is great for handheld shots; the Arca, which can only be used on a tripod, is great for architecture and landscapes. 

Haha, don’t worry! I’m just plodding along with my D750, and there’s plenty to learn, without breaking the bank on equipment that’s well beyond my needs!

I’m working my way through Ansel Adams’ books (about 2/3s through The Negative at the mo), and I’m hungry for knowledge!

Does your modular system works along view camera principles, with the option to separately adjust lens and sensor planes? Or is it more like the old Hasselblad system?

27 minutes ago, ayepatz said:

Does your modular system works along view camera principles, with the option to separately adjust lens and sensor planes? Or is it more like the old Hasselblad system?

Yes, the Arca Swiss bodies do.  Arca makes a variety of digital technical cameras, some of which are small and portable and great for architecture.  Some of which look like smaller 4x5 cameras, great for studio and still life work. 

All these higher end cameras do a couple things exceptionally well, but all others very poorly.  Horse for course sort of thing, and why I tell people not to bother with them unless you need them.  The average person who shoots a bit of everything would be better served with a Canon or Nikon body. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JoeKitchen said:

Yes, the Arca Swiss bodies do.  Arca makes a variety of digital technical cameras, some of which are small and portable and great for architecture.  Some of which look like smaller 4x5 cameras, great for studio and still life work. 

All these higher end cameras do a couple things exceptionally well, but all others very poorly.  Horse for course sort of thing, and why I tell people not to bother with them unless you need them.  The average person who shoots a bit of everything would be better served with a Canon or Nikon body. 

I feel a long Google session coming on...

Thanks for the info. I’d love to see lots more of this input on this thread, as I think it inspires average newbies like myself. I’m working on simply getting the best exposures in camera at the moment. Lightroom can work wonders, but I find it more satisfying if those adjustments are minor, rather than wrangling a poor image to try to improve it.

Composition, too, I find endlessly fascinating. I’ve learned that what I see in my head, can vary greatly with what the camera captures, so I’m trying to consider much more before pressing the shutter.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ayepatz said:

I feel a long Google session coming on...

Thanks for the info. I’d love to see lots more of this input on this thread, as I think it inspires average newbies like myself. I’m working on simply getting the best exposures in camera at the moment. Lightroom can work wonders, but I find it more satisfying if those adjustments are minor, rather than wrangling a poor image to try to improve it.

One of my favorite photographer's quote, “The picture is good or not from the moment it was caught in the camera.” – Henri Cartier-Bresson. 

4 minutes ago, JoeKitchen said:

One of my favorite photographer's quote, “The picture is good or not from the moment it was caught in the camera.” – Henri Cartier-Bresson. 

Haha! I like Ansel’s quote, “There’s nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept!”

30 minutes ago, JoeKitchen said:

Here's a still life I shot when I got back from Cuba with some merchandise.  FYI, those "ice" cubes cost more then a Talisman ... each. 

I like the liquid quality of the smoke. How slow was your shutter?

1 hour ago, ayepatz said:

I like the liquid quality of the smoke. How slow was your shutter?

Well, actually shutter speed would not have mattered.  This image was lit using 5 strobe (flash) heads.  Shutter speed was 1/250th, but the flashes were probably all around 1/2000 sec.  The reason the smoke is so nice, because it is being back lit, which makes smoke or any frosty substance really pop.  It is also slightly out of focus, which gives it a nicer feel too. 

Also, the cigar was not lit.  The smoke is from a match that had just went out.  Matches produce really nice smoke the moment they go out, and are easier to control.  You just strike one, place it on set and wait for it to go out.  Since the head of the cigar is not being shown, it really does not matter that it is not cigar smoke. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ayepatz said:

Haha! The lightning came up last on my iPad! ? 

Oh!   That was a monsoon storm west of town. Think 20 second exposure.   It was an interesting night.  Coyotes howling all around me and my son....  

• Like 1

Guest Nekhyludov

This is my favorite photo from our honeymoon in Cuba. Looking out of the corridor window adjacent to the rooftop bar at the Ambos Mundos.

IMG_0935.thumb.jpg.197cb86f2440e9f06402a07226d3c24a.jpg