HANDICAPPED BOXPASS 2018 - Complete!

Newbie/Veteran Handicapped Boxpass

There was a ton of interest in @wertman ‘s current newbie boxpass from folks who either didn’t get in on time, felt intimidated by the quality of puts and thought their collection might not stack up, or wished they’d had the opportunity to share the wealth with the newbies. Let’s give it another go so more newbies get a chance to be involved in the community and improve the variety in their humis.

Fundamental Principles:

DON’T FEEL INTIMIDATED!!!

This is not about ‘proving yourself’ to the other users. You don’t have to have aged, rare, or limited edition stock to participate. In fact, the whole point is to hook up some beginners who DON’T have a lot of cigars stashed away. Only have commonly available vitolas from 2016/17? Perfect. This is for YOU. Put what you’ve got.

A lot of vets love an opportunity to help newbies expand their tastes and try stuff they might not have been willing to shell out the coin for, never having tried them before. This speaks volumes about the overall character of the folks in this hobby/community. It’s awesome to see folks with experience go out of their way to hook up beginners.

I want to make sure that we have a decent mix of newbies and vets so everyone gets a shot at trying new stuff. 20 newbies/10 vets is what I’m shooting for. That way we get some cool, aged or unusual stuff for the beginners to choose from. 1 vet, 2 newbies, 1 vet, 2 newbies etc - this basic structure should keep the stock in the box plentiful and interesting so everyone has a chance to enjoy the process.

I’m announcing this well in advance of the start. This will give the newbies some time to add a few more vitolas to their humis, chat with the participating vets about the process, and get excited! I’m looking to start sometime this summer.

I’m going to focus on Habanos, as I don’t have NCs in my stock and I don’t know squat about them. If anyone has interesting NCs you want to contribute to the box, I’m sure someone will be excited to try them! Just count them as a ‘bonus’ stick, separate from your puts. Again... I don’t know squat about NCs. If a vet puts in some crazy high end NC - tell me about it. We can establish a NC for NC put/take protocol in that event.

Same goes for custom rolls. I’m ignorant on this topic. Refer to the previous paragraph. Same principles apply.

Rules:

I’m ideally capping the entry at 20 newbies and 10 veterans. Entry will be first come, first served, in the name of fairness, counted by the order in which they are received. A response of affirmation to this thread will be counted as an entry. I will contact you for further information afterwards. I will give you a detailed rundown of logistics/etiquette when I email you.

Newbies - if you were already involved with @wertman ‘s newbie pass, sit this one out and give the other guys a shot. I’m sure there are going to be more than 20 interested parties.

When you respond, declare yourself as either a newbie or a veteran. This will determine which set of puts/takes rules you are expected to adhere to. These will be clarified below.

Puts/Takes:

I’ll personally sign off on all proposed puts/takes. There shouldn’t be any issues, though, as we are instating a homogenized valuation system.

Newbies – You get a handicap on your puts. Each cigar is given a numeric point value based on clear criteria. For each cigar you put, you will receive a 1 point handicap. Match your handicapped put scores with the normal scores of your takes, and you’re good to go!

Points will be awarded as such. Add the points up for each of these criteria that your put cigar meets:

2 points: Base level score for all regular production, <2 year old cigars

2 more points: Non-regular production (i.e. limited production, uncommon availability, etc)

2 more points: 2-5 years old

2 more points: 5-10 years old

2 more points: 10+ years old

2 more points: EL/RE/LCDH releases. Recent production EL/RE/LCDH will still receive the 4 points awarded to 5-10 yo cigars, to compensate for extra financial value.

Extra points may be awarded on a case to case basis for GR and other extremely expensive/rare puts.

For example, a Partagas serie d no 4 PET DIC 15 as a put would get: 2 points (base score); 2 point (2-5 years old). Add the 1 point handicap and that cigar, as a put, is worth 5 points.

If you see a Montecristo no. 4 BRU AGO 10 that you would like to take, it would score: 2 points (base score); 4 points (5+ years old) for a total value of 6 points. No handicap point on the takes.

Vets – It’s the standard minimum 1:1 put:take ratio you’re accustomed to.

TLDR? Just ask! Let's have some fun!

THE WORKING LIST:

Vets:

1. @FatherOfPugs

2. @Azksig

3. @Rhino

4. @Tave1225

5. @jerrybrowne

6. @jsummers157

7. @Nekhyludov

8. @Ouftastic +2 handicap points. Dude has awesome stock but hasn't been in CCs very long at all, and should atleast get a little bit of a break.

9. @BuzzArd

10. @awkwardPause

11. @Dijit

Newbies:

1. @PrairieSmoke

2. @Buck14

3. @grizzlee

4. @Hotboxx

5. @OllyBond

6. @Wertman... perhaps with a penalty stroke :lol:

7. @nsills

8. @MooseAMuffin

9. @BlackFriar

10. @mozart23

11. @vidast

12. @fitzy

13. @Capt. Brett

14. @rd151

15. @mrmessy

16. @Weaponiz'd1

17. @THEMISCHMAN

18. @shaffer22

19. @taylorgov2

19&1/2. @jsavoie88

20. @zking

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Skydiving day with my stepmom. Got the email. Will respond this afternoon. ??

I’m looking at it like this...I’m trying a few cigars I haven’t before. If I put some of my humidor into the pass and if someone else gets to take one for a taste, all for the greater enjoyment of th

In. Probably best considered a newbie, given that my stash is nearly all 2016-onward. 

Edit: never mind! I’ve been in wertman’s pass. Will be watching! Have fun. 

11 minutes ago, shaffer22 said:

In. Probably best considered a newbie, given that my stash is nearly all 2016-onward. 

Edit: never mind! I’ve been in wertman’s pass. Will be watching! Have fun. 

Plenty of time to stock up. I’m not starting it til summer. You could pick up a few boxes of aged/le/re and join as a vet ?

Thanks again for your help figuring out a fair and equitable structure for the handicap system. 

27 minutes ago, Azksig said:

I’d love to be a part of this.

"When you respond, declare yourself as either a newbie or a veteran. This will determine which set of puts/takes rules you are expected to adhere to. These will be clarified below. "

10 minutes ago, JLFIRST said:

I'm in

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

"When you respond, declare yourself as either a newbie or a veteran. This will determine which set of puts/takes rules you are expected to adhere to. These will be clarified below. "

I KNEW people would skim instead of reading the whole thing! LOL

I KNEW people would skim instead of reading the whole thing! LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, cfc1016 said:

Oops.  Edited it above.

11 minutes ago, Rhino said:

No idea where I’d land but I’d like in. Been st this awhile but don’t consider myself a Vet

Read the section on puts/takes. Do you have a decent number of sticks to contribute that would score 6 points or better?

10 minutes ago, Wertman said:

I'm in and im a newbie.  (I sound like I am at AA) Don't really have any aged stock though

Thanks for sharing, Joe. :lol:

I’ll letcha slide as a newbie THIS TIME... only because you busted your ass to make the other pass happen, lol. Might have to submit your puts to an extra degree of scrutiny though... perhaps force you to pay tribute! :P

1 hour ago, cfc1016 said:

You guys sure you qualify as newbies?

Newbie in NCs, no. CCs, yes. I currently own 3 boxes, 1 is still in the mail, and around 20 random singles from FoH samplers. Oldest box is from 2014. Definitely don't have the aged stock, REs or LEs to qualify as a vet.

3 minutes ago, MooseAMuffin said:

Newbie in NCs, no. CCs, yes. I currently own 3 boxes, 1 is still in the mail, and around 20 random singles from FoH samplers. Oldest box is from 2014. Definitely don't have the aged stock, REs or LEs to qualify as a vet.

Fair enough! i just saw you had been on the forums a while and wanted to make sure you weren't cherrypickin, lol.

• Like 1

• cfc1016 changed the title to *NE* HANDICAPPED BOXPASS 2018
  • JohnS pinned this topic
  • JohnS unpinned this topic