List of Sporting Cheats....whose our number one?

This one makes our cricketers look like sunday school nuns......

Man that led shameful Spanish basketball team who pretended to be disabled to win Paralympic gold found guilty of fraud

By SIMON TOMLINSON

PUBLISHED: 12:48 EDT, 14 October 2013 | UPDATED: 05:07 EDT, 15 October 2013

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-2459172/Spanish-basketball-team-pretended-disabled-win-Paralympic-gold-guilty-fraud.html

A former Spanish basketball boss has been found guilty of fraud 13 years after he presided over one of the biggest scandals in sporting history.

Fernando Martin Vicente, the former head of the Spanish Federation for Mentally Handicapped Sports, fielded athletes with no disabilities at the 2000 Paralympics in Sydney in order to win the gold medal.

A Madrid court has now fined him €5,400 (£4,600) and ordered him to return €142,355 (£120,500) in government subsidies which the federation received for the athletes without disabilities.

Stolen gold: Members of the Spanish intellectually disabled basketball team with their medals after winning the Sydney 2000 Paralympics. Only two of the 12 athletes suffered from disability

Lads, move down a gear or they'll figure out you're not disabled

The scandal broke in November 2000 when Carlos Ribagorda, a member of Spain's gold medal-winning intellectually handicapped basketball team in Sydney, claimed that he and other athletes in categories such as track and field, table tennis and swimming were not mentally deficient.

'Of the 200 Spanish athletes at Sydney at least 15 had no type of physical or mental handicap - they didn't even pass medical or psychological examinations,' he wrote in Capital magazine just days after the Paralympics ended.

Ribargorda said he had played for the Spanish Paralympic basketball team for over two years but had no mental handicap.

He said the only test he had been asked to complete at his first training session was six press-ups, after which his blood pressure was taken, nor did he face an intelligence test when he was in Australia.

The final team did comprise two players with IQs below 70 as required, but the other 10 posed as mentally disabled players with the help of fake medical certificates they were provided with.

image.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Ribargorda said he had played for the Spanish Paralympic basketball team for over two years but had no mental handicap.”

I think it’s pretty clear this guy had a mental handicap!

Lance Armstrong has to be the best/worst sports cheat though...not so much because he was doping in a sport where everyone was doing the same, but more for the destruction of friends and colleagues who dared to question his lies.  And for well over a decade.  

9 minutes ago, bundwallah said:

That's pretty low of the Spaniards.  Yikes.  I always thought Maradona's "Hand Of God" goal was a top sporting cheat.  

the spaniards way worse. it was planned. maradona was spur of the moment and not really different from a thousand examples of soccer players diving every week. 

i'd argue maradona's was massive in terms of an impact it had on a nation but it was very minor in the action itself. relatively speaking...

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

the spaniards way worse. it was planned. maradona was spur of the moment and not really different from a thousand examples of soccer players diving every week. 

i'd argue maradona's was massive in terms of an impact it had on a nation but it was very minor in the action itself. relatively speaking...

Oh. I agree.  Hand of God would be my previous #1.  :D

21 minutes ago, bundwallah said:

That's pretty low of the Spaniards.  Yikes.  I always thought Maradona's "Hand Of God" goal was a top sporting cheat.  

9 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

5 minutes ago, bundwallah said:

Oh, la mano de Dios... We cannot forget that Malvinas (Falkland) war was still hot in 1986.

Some years after that (1995) a Brazilian player used his arm to score against Argentina.

in the penalties Brazil disqualified Argentina and they went crazy. The scorer just said: it was the hand of God too.

30 minutes ago, bundwallah said:

The single greatest moment in the history of Scottish Football. ?

15 minutes ago, bundwallah said:

i will be honest. as an aussie who'd just moved to the UK/London, and who was copping endless crap from the poms as we'd just lost the Ashes, i thought the hand of god was bloody brilliant!