Longtime lurker coming off the sideline

Hi fellow B/SOTLs!

I'm Ben, from the Philadelphia area. I've been lurking on the FoH forum for a while and seeing the activity of the newbie box pass had me intrigued enough to register. I'm always happy to talk technology, cars, DIY, or anything else really. Looking forward to meeting some new people and broadening my CC horizons.

Thanks for reading--

3 hours ago, bierz said:

Hey Ben-

I'm Matt, and I'm new to FOH and pretty new to cigars as well.  What kind of DIY projects do you work on?

Hi Matt- at the moment I'm into a lot of home improvement projects... my wife & I moved recently and we're still getting settled. The place was turnkey with a few minor "must-haves" on the wife list like a light fixture, painting, etc. Now that we've been here a few months, we're starting a list of other, bigger projects. The precursor to any real projects is getting the garage situated as a shop. A friend of mine is downsizing and needs to unload his woodshop, so I'm buying his band saw, table saw, jointer, planer, and drill press. First and foremost, they're going to need somewhere to go, 110/220 (likely a subpanel in the garage), and some kind of dust collection system TBD. There's very little storage in the garage, so I'm trying to decide what kind of cabinets/shelving makes the most sense. It feels like a lot all at once. I just keep telling myself that once the shop is up and running everything else will pick up steam.

Are you a DIYer? What are your current smokes of choice?

3 hours ago, ayepatz said:

Only been to Philly once, to meet a mate called, funnily enough, Ben.

Great town, good folks.

Someone needs to bring a cheesesteak franchise to the UK!

Welcome to FOH!

Everywhere needs an authentic Philly cheesesteak franchise.

Surrey... you must be near the LCDH in Twickenham, yeah? I get to your side of the pond every once in a while, and it's on my list for the next trip to London.

1 hour ago, FidelCashflow said:

Everywhere needs an authentic Philly cheesesteak franchise.

Surrey... you must be near the LCDH in Twickenham, yeah? I get to your side of the pond every once in a while, and it's on my list for the next trip to London.

Just a short hop down the road from there.

Let me know when you’re next over.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FidelCashflow said:

Hi Matt- at the moment I'm into a lot of home improvement projects... my wife & I moved recently and we're still getting settled. The place was turnkey with a few minor "must-haves" on the wife list like a light fixture, painting, etc. Now that we've been here a few months, we're starting a list of other, bigger projects. The precursor to any real projects is getting the garage situated as a shop. A friend of mine is downsizing and needs to unload his woodshop, so I'm buying his band saw, table saw, jointer, planer, and drill press. First and foremost, they're going to need somewhere to go, 110/220 (likely a subpanel in the garage), and some kind of dust collection system TBD. There's very little storage in the garage, so I'm trying to decide what kind of cabinets/shelving makes the most sense. It feels like a lot all at once. I just keep telling myself that once the shop is up and running everything else will pick up steam.

Are you a DIYer? What are your current smokes of choice?

Very cool.  Yeah I love making things.  I also moved into a house recently, July of last year.  It was built around 1906 but had been updated quite a bit in 2013.  I had an electrician friend add a subpanel in the basement and I blocked off half of it for my wood shop.  Like you, I'm working on dust collection.  I have a Laguna P-Flux in parts now, assembly underway.  Very cool that you're getting a nice collection of tools off the bat.  I have all of those myself but want to upgrade to a Sawstop table saw in the near(ish) future.

I'm pretty new to cigars but I've been enjoying RASS and Trinidad Reyes as enjoyable yet not horribly expensive smokes to learn on.  It snowed in Chicago last night but should be 70 on Friday.  When the warmth is here to stay I look forward to more backyard time enjoying more cigars.  Oh - I have some adirondack chairs on my to-build list so I'll have something comfortable to relax on.  

Sawstop table  

Now where's the fun in that? Jokes aside, I'm terrified of the table saw, but I'm more terrified of becoming comfortable around it.

A pair of adirondacks are on my list as well.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Haha 1