Civicdoodies

Hello,

I'm new on this forum, and forums in general. I also don't know that I am particularly a Cubans guy, but this place seems more friendly and easy going than some others. I've smoked at least one cigar a month for the past 12 years, often one a week, and there were periods I would go through stretches of 3-5 per week. I love them.

I've been focusing on perfecting my temp controlled humidor (heating and cooling - not with a data logger or anything), but I don't want to nerd out on that unless someone wants to know.

What in general can people tell me about why they love Cubans in particular? If I tried to get into it, what should I know?

If you want to know about temperature-controlled humidors, we have great information on that topic in the Humidor Tutorial section of our forum.

What should you know about Cuban cigars? Firstly, that it's a journey. We all start as novices and we build on our knowledge through learning, researching and experience, but in general, a cigar enthusiast is always learning. It's a little like drinking coffee, you know, one feels that the next one will be 'the perfect cup'. Well, smoking Cuban cigars is a little like that. As you get more involved in this pursuit, you work out which brand you like, which specific cigar in that brand and at what point your cigar box you purchased is peaking in regards to its aging. There's a lot of fun to be had along the way!

Welcome to FriendsofHabanos!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Civicdoodies said:

What in general can people tell me about why they love Cubans in particular

You could get many different answers to that question.  I think many find flavor nuances and complexity much better than NC.  It's more taste v. strength in most cases.  I also find the history and blend differences very interesting.  There is so much to learn.  Like JohnS said, it's a journey.  Try everything and find out what you like, get more, age them, try more.  You can go down the rabbit hole very fast.  Welcome, and enjoy.

1 hour ago, Stump89 said:

You could get many different answers to that question.  I think many find flavor nuances and complexity much better than NC.  It's more taste v. strength in most cases.  I also find the history and blend differences very interesting.  There is so much to learn.  Like JohnS said, it's a journey.  Try everything and find out what you like, get more, age them, try more.  You can go down the rabbit hole very fast.  Welcome, and enjoy.

Okay, so I'm new... Definition of nc and cc?

13 hours ago, Stump89 said:

Non Cuban v. Cuban cigar. Check out cubancigarwebsite.com too.  It's got a ton of information about brands, sizes, history, special releases, etc.  Best Cuban cigar resource out there.

Ah, pretty straightforward.  Thanks!