Has Wine Gone Bad?

Colt45

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/may/15/has-wine-gone-bad-organic-biodynamic-natural-wine

Interesting (slightly long) article. Some good points, but I find it (understandably) a little black and white. There are industrial producers, there are small, completely natural producers. But there are a great number of producers who fall somewhere in the middle of the two poles.

Brought to mind Paul Lukacs' Inventing Wine.

I feel vineyards should be bio-dynamic or organic where it makes sense to their business model.  A don't feel a touch of sulfur is going to ruin a wine.  I prefer wine to be made as natural and keeping with tradition as possible with only exception is on hygiene within the chateau.  I like the "natural wines" to a degree and own a few from US, France, and Portugal in the cellar.  The whites I find more interesting.  I also like oxidized wines like Vin Jaune so go figure... 

I don't feel this category will grow much more than it is today.  Not everyone likes that style of wine and all the background history won't sway someone from drinking wine they do not like the taste of.  

• Like 1

BD and organic wines are quite a bit different to "natural" wines. the former categories do use some sulphur. "natural" wines seem very much the latest fad and i'm sure some will stick but many will disappear as there is a massive gulf in quality for most of them. look at a number of the world's greatest wines and a high percentage (relatively) are BD or organic. can't think of a single one that is "natural". for me, little more than a curiosity at this stage, most of them rubbish but some of interest. 

10 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

BD and organic wines are quite a bit different to "natural" wines. the former categories do use some sulphur. "natural" wines seem very much the latest fad and i'm sure some will stick but many will disappear as there is a massive gulf in quality for most of them. look at a number of the world's greatest wines and a high percentage (relatively) are BD or organic. can't think of a single one that is "natural". for me, little more than a curiosity at this stage, most of them rubbish but some of interest. 

Is “natural” wine anything like Lambic beer? Tried those when I was in Belgium, when everyone was raving about them. Two sips and I was straight back to the Leffe.

2 minutes ago, ayepatz said:

Is “natural” wine anything like Lambic beer? Tried those when I was in Belgium, when everyone was raving about them. Two sips and I was straight back to the Leffe.

you might not be too far off with that.