Boveda vs Heartfelt Beads

PhilthyOchoUno

Ok lads and lasses,

I recently purchased a larger desktop humidor (300 count) and am trying to decide on which humidification device to use.

I've narrowed it down to either beads or Boveda. There seems to be strong support for both on FOH.

Some insight would be much appreciated. 

Cheers,

Phil

I like Boveda for a desktop. Using the wooden holder and two large 62% packs has been fantastic in my 100 count. 

image.png.2c69b9b5cdca4b0ca0a68c5449b56bb0.png

• Like 1

jon stewart popcorn GIF

(they will both work fine and if you don't like one method or the other, it's crazy cheap to switch)

• Haha 2

I use beads simply because I was told you had to replace the Bovedas when they dry out.  After learning you could rehydrate the bovedas I use them in my smaller coolidor.  Both work great just a matter of how you place them in the humidor.  Beads will need a mesh bag or box to hold them and bovedas you can toss anywhere. 

• Like 1

I prefer Boveda.  So long as you have a good humidor, they will last a very long time, especially the lower RH versions.  I also like the fact that you can put them on top of your cigars. 

However, the corners are sharp enough to tear a wrapper, so ...

• Like 1

Bovedas work great for a tupper or small desktop.

Boveda says you need one of their packs (i believe 12 oz) per 25 CT, so you'd need 2 of their 60oz for your 300 ct.

I use a mixture of beads and gell in my 300ct, bovidas in all my tuppers, and beads in my wineador (though I'll probably go with KL in the next wineador)

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Having used both in a slightly different application (converted winedor with capacity of around 3k) I'd probably suggest Boveda for you. As mentioned earlier they're great as you can toss them on top and recharge as needed (may want to go over the suggested amount by a couple packs as it'll increase time between recharges).

If you end up going to something storage wise where you're measuring in multiple cubic feet of space HF start to make more sense from a dollar and cents perspective.

All that being said both are great products and you can't go wrong, just personal preference in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've had good success with both. Typically would use Boveda for my 250 sticks and under humidors and Heartfelts for my larger units (large standup coolador w/ Sp. cedar drawer setup previously, 3k count cabinet currently.

Boveda's are super easy to recharge. When mine have gotten hard I've submerged them in distilled water for ~24hrs until they fill back up then just laid them out on paper towels for a few hours on each side until any excess moisture was soaked up then thrown them back in. You can do this several times as long as your gentile with them so the paper doesn't get ripped when wet.

Anyone else use this method?

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

I live in a very humid environment with RH in the 80s range. I have more problem dehumidifying the air than humidifying it to the extend of putting dessicants into my tuppedor to bring down RH. But dessicants are one-way device's and will continue to suck my cigars dry and I've stopped this method. What are your recommendations for a humid environment? 

• 1 year later...

HF suggests more beads to help regulate the rh and the same is probably true for B packs.

On 11/30/2020 at 7:04 PM, JWTan said:

I live in a very humid environment with RH in the 80s range. I have more problem dehumidifying the air than humidifying it to the extend of putting dessicants into my tuppedor to bring down RH. But dessicants are one-way device's and will continue to suck my cigars dry and I've stopped this method. What are your recommendations for a humid environment?