Bitter cigar guy

I have been smoking cigars since I was eighteen.  In the beginning I was strictly a non Cuban smoker.  Then on my honeymoon in Canada I experienced my first Cuban cigar.  It was a Cohiba Robusto and it was mind blowing.  I had ordered the box prior to me getting there.  It was so good that I got another box to take home, from that moment I was hooked on Cuban cigars.  Those  boxs cost like $250-$300.  I have had what I would consider some of the modern greats, but now they are gone.  I loved the La Gloria Cubana Tanios with a great cup of Cuban coffee, the creamy flavor of the cigar just enhanced the coffee and vise versa.  The Saint Luis Rey Double Corona,  this was by far my favorite, that sweet flavor that I still crave and when I started getting into these cigars they were $425 for a cab of 50 how could you go wrong?  Prior to that they started fazing out cabs of 50,  Hoyo de Monterrey epicure especale,  Saint Luis Rey Regios and Hoyo De Monterrey Double corona all succumbed to the end of the cabs faze.  Lastly the prices of cigars has drastically increased.  For example, I purchased a few boxes of 2008 regios back in the day for $111 a box.  Now that same cigar is $185-$220 a box.  The Cuban cigar trend is boxes of 10 regional cigars for anywhere between $300-$800.  I have really stopped smoking as a result that you can’t have some of the greats anymore at an affordable price.  Cuba needs to wake up!!!

HdM 50 cabs still available and only 570 CUC in Cuba. Can’t go wrong with that. And Regios 148 CUC.

Keep in mind, just like anything in this world there is inflation. 2008 was 10 years ago. We are actually lucky that Cuba has had the same prices on cigars for years. I believe the last mark up was about 10 years ago or so. Not bad as your cable and phone bill goes up every 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

My problem is I am only able to get cigars online.  There are no Hdm cabs of 50 online that I can see.  The middle men were able to do well and prices were substantially lower than they are now.

49 minutes ago, rock said:

My problem is I am only able to get cigars online.  There are no Hdm cabs of 50 online that I can see.  The middle men were able to do well and prices were substantially lower than they are now.

In that case, you came to the right place. HDMDC 50 cabs are available right now from our host. Although I’d advise against criticising our friendly, neighbourhood “middle-man”. ?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cfc1016 said:

We would all be constantly busy raising our livestock, tending our crops, minding our iron forges, studying engineering so we could build our own cars and houses, cobbling our shoes, etc etc...

I view the above as producers. And while many can and do buy their food from farmers, meat from ranchers, etc, I imagine even more buy from middle(wo)men - supermarkets, shoe stores, car and boat dealers, etc.

6 hours ago, rock said:

I have been smoking cigars since I was eighteen.  In the beginning I was strictly a non Cuban smoker.  Then on my honeymoon in Canada I experienced my first Cuban cigar.  It was a Cohiba Robusto and it was mind blowing.  I had ordered the box prior to me getting there.  It was so good that I got another box to take home, from that moment I was hooked on Cuban cigars.  Those  boxs cost like $250-$300.  I have had what I would consider some of the modern greats, but now they are gone.  I loved the La Gloria Cubana Tanios with a great cup of Cuban coffee, the creamy flavor of the cigar just enhanced the coffee and vise versa.  The Saint Luis Rey Double Corona,  this was by far my favorite, that sweet flavor that I still crave and when I started getting into these cigars they were $425 for a cab of 50 how could you go wrong?  Prior to that they started fazing out cabs of 50,  Hoyo de Monterrey epicure especale,  Saint Luis Rey Regios and Hoyo De Monterrey Double corona all succumbed to the end of the cabs faze.  Lastly the prices of cigars has drastically increased.  For example, I purchased a few boxes of 2008 regios back in the day for $111 a box.  Now that same cigar is $185-$220 a box.  The Cuban cigar trend is boxes of 10 regional cigars for anywhere between $300-$800.  I have really stopped smoking as a result that you can’t have some of the greats anymore at an affordable price.  Cuba needs to wake up!!!

HSA just posted a record profit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have no problem with middle men.  What I have a problem with is cigar prices going through the roof and great regular production cigars being eliminated for special edition cigars for 3-10 times the regular production prices.  

40 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

HSA just posted a record profit. 

A record profit with less cigars!

I understand what you are saying but the reality is that the double banded dollar gobblers have saved their arse.  They are also the cigars that have saved another dozen of so cigars from being discontinued because sales don't justify SKU's.  (eg   SP Belicoso/Rafael Gonzalez ).  People don't think about this enough.  Talisman isn't taking tobacco away from regular production. It is saving some some of them from the chopping block. 

HSA cigar exports (to distributors) are priced in USD.  The USD has appreciated near 20% since 2015 (on my calculations).  Average  price increases by HSA are 3.5%. They are passed on in May each year. 

One of the JV partners is a multinational and the other a broke dictatorship.  They will both keep pushing for increases until there is pushback. There were minimal increases between 2007 and 2012. The global recovery, new markets explosion (China/Eastern Europe/Middle East) + a couple of back to back crop failures has created a perfect supply deficit scenario. 

We are all just lucky that the US market didn't officially open. Then you would be seeing some hefty increases.  (Think Cuban Hotel Prices after the temporary lifting of sanctions). 

Hopefully the day the market does open will be on the back of numerous successive  bumper crops and not when mother HSA's cupboard is bare . 

Throw in the additional and increasing layer of duties/taxes in most parts of the world and it is a difficult period for cigars (Cuban and otherwise) particularly outside of the USA. 

• Like 4

Thanks for the explanation.  Hopefully the US market never opens.  I see Cuba pushing out a lot of crap if that happens.  I would also expect to see a temporary increase in sales and then like everything else in the world the craze would be over.

Have had this discussion all over the world now (with Americans when we travel and some Europeans). They love the fact that I tell how my FOH club members discuss it all the time and so we have many opinions and lots of info. Thanks!

I say that from such a limited source we can look at what is happening to Scotch in Asia right now. We can say “Oh crap that better not be Cuba!”

The only good potential news is our buddies who hoard our obsession like some of us. The price may rise but we pay what what we do. It is a luxury hobby.

CB

IMO American cigar smokers have it great, they can import the cheapest Cuban cigars in the world with almost zero risk of any customs interference and no risk of customs charges being levied. Try that in the UK, if your caught a box of Robusto will incur charges of about £120/$160. A box of RASS here will set you back £375/$500 if your buying from the shops here, I never do. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Shaunster said:

IMO American cigar smokers have it great, they can import the cheapest Cuban cigars in the world with almost zero risk of any customs interference and no risk of customs charges being levied. Try that in the UK, if your caught a box of Robusto will incur charges of about £120/$160. A box of RASS here will set you back £375/$500 if your buying from the shops here, I never do. 

I do find this amazing.  I have yet to have had any issues with customs or duties being charged.  I even once bought a £2000 lens from London that I was for sure would get flagged for duties.  Nadda. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shaunster said:

But it's illegal to import Cuban cigars to the US. If you're caught, big burly men in showers will wait for you to drop the soap.

• Like 1