Havana Trip Report May 2018

Thanks for the report and the pics.  It sounds like you just went for a weekend, which is sort of what I've been thinking of doing for our anniversary this year.  Do you feel like a weekend in Havana was enough time?

I just left Havana today—-really surprised at the quality cigars still on shelves like RA Gigantes, Espys, and Sir Winnies....even found some bonus Reynaldo Custom Lanceros in stock which I thought he had stopped rolling.....

• Like 1

Sounds like a great short trip actually.  I'm going to have to look at other threads and see how it is getting visas and all that now for travel. I think I may just pull the trigger for late July early August.

On 5/31/2018 at 9:58 AM, n0s4atu said:

Thanks for the report and the pics.  It sounds like you just went for a weekend, which is sort of what I've been thinking of doing for our anniversary this year.  Do you feel like a weekend in Havana was enough time?

It’s not as complicated as you think....matter of fact, shop owners said more people are going through cruises because they don’t think they can fly in.  My driver said the same thing....it’s probably not a bad thing at the end of the day.  Just don’t push your luck....Cuban Customs Agents are serious when it comes to certain things like fracturas and unbanded cigars.  Today they even opened my check in luggage and called me down to the basement over intercom while I was in the terminal.  Never had that happen before....

On 5/31/2018 at 9:58 AM, n0s4atu said:

Yeah it was enough for me but my agenda was basically to visit some of the shops and walk around. If you have a list of things to do you might want more time. Also I didn’t have much travel time because I flew from Miami. Either way you can’t go wrong, it will be a great time there.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2018 at 5:10 PM, Derboesekoenig said:

Before you board your flight for Cuba, you fill out the information for the visa and pay the fee. Very simple as stated previously. 

Wait, that's it? And out of curiosity can this be done ahead of time? We're not that far from our starting airport here in Maryland and could easily take an afternoon on the weekend and get it done early.

It is that easy, but you have to pick one of the 12 categories of travel, and I believe there are only 2 feasible options--"Support for Cuban people", and "People to People exchange". For the former, it works excellent for individual travel, but you need to stay in either AirBnb or casa particular and you need to keep all receipts/facturas as well as have a documented itinerary for 6 hrs per day, every day (business day). For the latter, it is more geared towards group travel, but is essentially the same thing.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses.  
Does the itinerary have to be written ahead of time to be presented at the time of acquiring the visa?  And how detailed must it be? Can it be as simply stated as breakfast with X discussing life in cuba 1.5 hrs, trip to Museum 3.5 hrs, etc?

And forgive the many questions, never having done it I just want to make sure it's a great trip for the wife. I tend to just wing things often, but she's a details kind of gal and so the unknown here is freaking her out a bit. lol

People to People exchange for individuals is no longer allowed.  That is for licensed tour groups or going on OFAC shore excursions from a cruise ship.

Support for the Cuban People is what I have been told people are using when traveling solo.

As for your itinerary, you keep records in the off chance the government audits you to make sure you followed the rules for going.  I think 7 years but I could be wrong.  

You don't have to show an itinerary beforehand.

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Documents/cuba_faqs_new.pdf

Thanks Luv2Fly.

We've now booked our flights and our casa for the trip. Our particular place is just a couple blocks away from Conde de Villanueva.  

Now the proper planning of how to spend our 3 days there. I'm thinking the day we arrive will be all about cigars and grabbing dinner. Then the following 2 days we can focus on seeing the sights of Havana. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, luv2fly said:

People to People exchange for individuals is no longer allowed.  That is for licensed tour groups or going on OFAC shore excursions from a cruise ship.

Support for the Cuban People is what I have been told people are using when traveling solo.

As for your itinerary, you keep records in the off chance the government audits you to make sure you followed the rules for going.  I think 7 years but I could be wrong.  

You don't have to show an itinerary beforehand.

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Documents/cuba_faqs_new.pdf

19 hours ago, luv2fly said:

Five years, according to an OFAC officer that was traveling with our cruise ship last week. He presence on the ship surprised me a bit. Our ship was the first ship to come directly from the US to Santiago De Cuba, hence the OFAC agent on board. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2018 at 6:08 AM, JY0 said:

Five years, according to an OFAC officer that was traveling with our cruise ship last week. He presence on the ship surprised me a bit. Our ship was the first ship to come directly from the US to Santiago De Cuba, hence the OFAC agent on board. 

Jeff, we also had the OFAC officer on board. They didn’t ask or seem to give a rip about our plans for the island. 

• Haha 2