Humidity too high! please help

bogeybogey

Looking for some guidance.

At the moment, I keep my aristocrat in my basement where it is nice and cool. However, during the hot summer months, it gets humid down there.

This past weekend, I noticed a huge spike in humidity inside the humidor. so I did the following:

• running a dehumidifier in the basement set at 65%
  • removed the humidification system from the humidor
  • added a large dish of kitty litter to soak up excess humidity

Problem is, I still can't get the humidity down inside the humidor.

For example, I'll open the humidor doors and the humidity will come back down to 65% or so, the same humidity I have the dehumidifier set at.

Once I close the humidor door and return a few hours later, humidity inside the humidor is back up around 70%.

You guys have any idea what I can do to stabilize the humidity inside the humidor back down to 65%?

Many thanks in advance FOH!

10 hours ago, joeypots said:

Thanks Joey. 

I take it this stuff works better than kitty litter? I’m using this Equisite stuff. 

image.jpg

Probably. Don’t leave the humidor in the basement. Whatever your dehumidifier is doing it’s probably not enough. 

• Like 1

Bob's products are largely ambient dependent. This means that they demand a delta rH negative ambient as they are not bidirectional control humidors.

Lets assume you store at 65. Set the dehumidifier in the room at 60rH, and give yourself the 5 rH delta. Put the humidifiers back in and let them do the job they were meant to.

The system will always bleed (diffuse) water back to the basement with a net rH negative environment. That is the way Bob's systems are designed to work.

Problem solved! 

Cheers! -Piggy

• Like 2

On 6/4/2018 at 10:55 AM, PigFish said:

Bob's products are largely ambient dependent. This means that they demand a delta rH negative ambient as they are not bidirectional control humidors.

Lets assume you store at 65. Set the dehumidifier in the room at 60rH, and give yourself the 5 rH delta. Put the humidifiers back in and let them do the job they were meant to.

The system will always bleed (diffuse) water back to the basement with a net rH negative environment. That is the way Bob's systems are designed to work.

Problem solved! 

Cheers! -Piggy

Super helpful PigFish!

I've gone ahead and put the humidifier back into the humidor. My concern was having the open humidifier filled with distilled water would create the excess unwanted humidity inside the humidor.

Will report back with the results.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

On 6/4/2018 at 7:55 AM, PigFish said:

Problem solved! 

Cheers! -Piggy

This is what I do.  I have a very stable cellar that experiences a couple of rH spikes a year.  Put in the dehumidifier and set it to 55-60%, below my 65% target for the cigars.  From what I can tell, the readings on these things are even more unreliable than on your humidor hygrometer, so it pays to err to the safe side.  Cigars are in watertight containers with Bovedas so bi-directional humidity control and they last a long, long time.