Origin - what cigar? (State of Origin 2018)

the greatest rivalry in all sport - State of Origin - (other than the Ashes, of course) is back for another round starting wednesday.

for outsiders, despite Queensland having only 20% of the number of players from which to choose, compared to the evil empire down south, we have won 78 of the last 79 series - okay, 12 from the last 13. but it is still one of the greatest streaks in sport.

but this year, a new era. in the last few years we have lost several of the greatest players ever to play the game - lockyer a few years back and last year was the final hurrah for two of the greatest players of all time: cam smith and the incomparable JT. also cronk. it will be billy slater's last series this year. we are threadbare. but the evil empire has also had a cleanout with the largest number of debutants since the very first game at lang park when Queensland pulled off the first of many upsets (i was on the hill as a young student, with my mates). 

it should be a cracker. nsw are deserved favourites but they have been that many times. 

more importantly, what cigar will you have during the game? 

i usually pick a good DC but i have learnt that i puff away so hard that it is done by half time and i can't remember a thing about it. ditto the wine, so now i go rum. i once had a grange that needed drinking so opened it for the game. at half time, i went to get a second glass. not only was the grange empty, i was half way through the next bottle. no recollection of anything but the first glass. 

go the mighty maroons!

QUEENSLANDER!!!!

I've only seen state of origin once, when working in NZ, and in doing so I felt as if I had never seen rugby league before. Usually I hate rugby league (compared to Union), but how the game is played in Aussie...... the ferocity, and the ingenuity    it's truly fascinating.   I have no idea how GB have ever beaten NZ and AU in league.

If your getting through a DC by half time.   Maybe an aged Mag 50 followed by a Party Privada?

26 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

i usually pick a good DC but i have learnt that i puff away so hard that it is done by half time and i can't remember a thing about it.

So you'd need 2 DCs' worth of smoking time, and you have no memory of anything except the beginning and the end?  Sounds tailor-made for a Monte C bookended by Medio Siglos :lol:

• Thanks 1

was looking at the teams.

if, in the lead-up to the first game last year, someone said that next year for game 1, queensland would be missing darius boyd, billy slater, jonathon thurston, matt scott, matt gillett, cooper cronk and cameron smith for kick off this year then one would assume our plane had gone down. you'd expect odds of 1000-1. some of the greatest players in the history of the game, all internationals. i can honestly say that i do not recall any team in any sport suffering such a massive loss of talent since mark loane retired from the wallabies. 

even worse, when given the chance to elevate the next superstar, ponga, we move and out of form morgan and then pick an out of form milford for the bench instead. either kevvie is truly a genius coach or he is showing is why he has never been given a go in the NRL. sadly, my money is on the latter. 

i won't say nsw are 1000-1 but i reckon we have slim chance. but we are queensland and who will ever forget 1995. 

11 hours ago, Fuzz said:

What happened in 1995?

fuzz, that was the year that queensland lost all its players to super league while nsw was almost full strength. so we were the biggest underdogs in history. no one gave us a chance. when coach vautin met ben ikin, he thought he was a kid asking for an autograph and sent him away. didn't realise that was his hooker. biggest bunch of nobodies in sporting history. nsw favoured by 20 points game one. it finished 2-0 to qld. nsw were possibly even bigger favourites game two. they lost that as well. the axe had to get off a drip in hospital to come to lang park for the game and then went back on it for two days. and for good measure, we won the 3rd game as well. that was also the series billy moore brought in the 'queenslander' call.  it was close to a bunch of club players beating an international team.

will never be forgotten north of the border. 

Looks like they'll get a nice weather window for the clash. Very cold this morning but has cleared to a sunny clear day. Will be cold tonight but no rain so hopefully not too slippery. The MCG is usually in immaculate condition.

Juan Lopez 2. 

I assume I will be the only Queenslander there at Johns.  We will lose tonight and lose the series 2-1.  NSW will rejoice the beginning of a new era. Their streak will be 1 before  normal programming resumes and Queensland win the next 10 series.

Today is 165 years to the day that Queensland escaped New South Wales oppression and became a state in its own right.  Then God moved here. He has helped us fight the forces of darkness ever since. 

• Like 1

Great night with great friends and a great atmosphere!! Thank you @JohnS!! Thank you @El Presidente for the beautiful JL2s!

20180606_221035.jpg..thumb.jpg.f5413911bff13ac8295c87a32ceb7df0.jpg

20180606_221000.jpg..thumb.jpg.78310d0af59199dc8565708f57c1a273.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Today is 165 years to the day that Queensland escaped New South Wales oppression and became a state in its own right.  Then God moved here. He has helped us fight the forces of darkness ever since. 

You sure about that? :confused: The Letters of Patent to create Queensland were signed by Queen Victoria on 6th June 1859.

One would think a staunch Queenslander would know something about this, especially when the 150th anniversary celebration was held only 9 years ago... :whistle: :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• JohnS changed the title to Origin - what cigar? (State of Origin 2018)