Blind Tasting 2018 Cigar Number 3 Reveal

First Lady

dammit! This cigar really got most of us!

• Like 1

HOLD ON A SECOND! 

That WOULD have been my first guess, but... the rules say the sticks are all CURRENT production. This is not a CURRENT production cigar, so I made a different choice. 

QUOTE:

1. Cigars (all 5 and bandless and are numbered 1-5 in order they are to be smoked) will be sent the week of the 6th of February. I will select cigars from same code and aroma/wrapper appearance as best I can.

2. . Cigars selected will be in current production.

CCW shows it discontinued in 2017: H. Upmann Petit Corona

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, First Lady said:

Hello everyone

This cigar honestly threw a lot of your ;)

Yes...... it threw me. When I smoked this cigar my immediate guess was HUPC, but then I recalled seeing the rules stating all cigars were current production, so I just assumed I was wrong, and I changed my pick. Is this cigar still in current production, I thought they were discontinued in 2017?

As others have stated, this was a tricky pick with it being in discontinued status as of 2017. That said, I personally interpreted the rules a bit more loosely and assumed that anything that was currently being produced (or at least widely available to members) would be fair game, regardless of formal status.  It was a risk, sure. I could certainly see the argument against my rationale, though, and I likely wouldn’t be whistling the same tune if I took that one off my radar as some did because of the status. Despite the HUPC's coming to the end of it's production run (per reports), they can still be purchased at a relative non-premium at several vendors and it has even made some recent appearances on 24:24 (at least since the beginning of the comp). That’s really my only reason for thinking it was still a valid pick, say what you may. At any rate, I hope to see them at least once more on 24:24, but maybe that's wishful thinking at this point :no:

I don't agree with this at all.  Its 2018, its not current production.  I do this competition to challenge myself, its not about the money.  I don't want to be tricked or need to decipher rules.  I removed that cigar from my radar because its not current production.

Huge bummer.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As others have stated, this was a tricky pick with it being in discontinued status as of 2017. That said, I personally interpreted the rules a bit more loosely and assumed that anything that was currently being produced (or at least widely available to members) would be fair game, regardless of formal status.  It was a risk, sure. I could certainly see the argument against my rationale, though, and I likely wouldn’t be whistling the same tune if I took that one of my radar as some did because of the status. Despite the HUPC's coming to the end of it's production run (per reports), they can still be purchased at a relative non-premium at several vendors and it has even made some recent appearances on 24:24 (at least since the beginning of the comp). That’s really my only reason for thinking it was still a valid pick, say what you may. At any rate, I hope to see them at least once more on 24:24, but maybe that's wishful thinking at this point :no:

I don’t think there is anything to interpret, the HUPC was on the HSA 2017 cut list, and we had a lot of debate on this very forum about it. In fact, more than one member submitted reviews of the HUPC on the Discontinued Cigar Review contest in January. And to add insult to injury, the winner of that contest@hurltim actually reviewed the discontinued HUPC, so clearly FOH believed it was discontinued six months ago.

Sorry for carrying on about this, but I’m not into trickery like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

I didn’t participate but they points been made by a few people so why not wait now for Rob to respond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

It's an unfortunate mix up ( I would go so far as to say a mistake), that effectively puts me out of the running for the competition, but I don't for a second think that there was any intent to mislead.

I'm grateful for the community, and for a wonderful vendor. :)

• MoeFOH unpinned this topic