First timer Havana Trip report

markmcc

Thanks for the write up.  The wife and I are heading there in just about 6 weeks, so I love seeing threads like this.  Sounds like you guys had an amazing trip and my wife and I are going for about the same period of time, so it sounds like a nice little mini-vacation.
Also, did you check the box with the wine or bring it on with you as a carry on?  And good to know a case of rum can be brought back without anyone's head exploding. 

3 hours ago, n0s4atu said:

Thanks for the write up.  The wife and I are heading there in just about 6 weeks, so I love seeing threads like this.  Sounds like you guys had an amazing trip and my wife and I are going for about the same period of time, so it sounds like a nice little mini-vacation.
Also, did you check the box with the wine or bring it on with you as a carry on?  And good to know a case of rum can be brought back without anyone's head exploding. 

You have to put all liquids in your checked luggage. Cigars in your carry on has never been a problem in my limited experience. ?

Oh, duh. lol They make you pitch an 8oz, half drank bottle of water, why on Earth would they allow you on board with the makings of a molotov cocktail. lol Yeah that was a silly question. 

I'm going to have to look into the best way to safely pack bottles up in a suitcase.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, n0s4atu said:

I'm going to have to look into the best way to safely pack bottles up in a suitcase.

Bubble wrap & then wrap cloths around that & keep them in the middle (not top or bottom) of the suitcase. Muled many bottles of rum that way with no breakage so far. 

Thanks. That sounds like a great option and bubble wrap won't take up lots of room

Bubble wrap & then wrap cloths around that & keep them in the middle (not top or bottom) of the suitcase. Muled many bottles of rum that way with no breakage so far. 

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

On 6/11/2018 at 6:21 PM, markmcc said:

o bring back. I actually brought a special shipping box with me with cardboard inserts to protect the booze -- that was a very smart thing to do, as everything got home perfectly. The non-smart thing I did was write FRAGILE on the side of the box. That caused every customs agent to ask what was in the box, including the agent on our return to Newark. I told him it was 12 bottles o

Totally stealing this idea for when I go in a couple weeks. Thanks!

If you buy the rum in the duty free shop at the airport you can carry on the bottles
How's the pricing there compared to actually in Havana?

That thing is awesome.

A dedicated suitcase for rum and other beverages is the best option, in my opinion. This is a vingarde valise. Nice and light and no worries about breakage. 
AA1178B9-10F1-460D-9BAD-06902693F7DA.thumb.jpeg.b67e3022e6f55966cb5eee44d265ed0a.jpeg

A dedicated suitcase for rum and other beverages is the best option, in my opinion. This is a vingarde valise. Nice and light and no worries about breakage. 
AA1178B9-10F1-460D-9BAD-06902693F7DA.thumb.jpeg.b67e3022e6f55966cb5eee44d265ed0a.jpeg

Nice. How many layers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Each side can hold 6 bottles, so you can bring a case back. Or you can remove the foam padding in one side and use it to bring other goodies (rumcakes, etc.) or dirty laundry home while making your other luggage lighter. My wife is usually supportive of me using one side for booze while she uses the other side to bring back dirty laundry. Compromise at its finest. 

99022BDC-517E-4AC8-B9F5-7B0F8181BFE9.jpeg

13AA56EA-4593-4F14-B63C-30B770A356CB.jpeg

645917D8-DE8C-47A8-BA8C-D6A2C0CC3456.jpeg

BCE261F3-FCC8-427F-9404-1124F6E5A17E.jpeg

4 hours ago, Cayman17 said:

Each side can hold 6 bottles, so you can bring a case back. Or you can remove the foam padding in one side and use it to bring other goodies (rumcakes, etc.) or dirty laundry home while making your other luggage lighter. My wife is usually supportive of me using one side for booze while she uses the other side to bring back dirty laundry. Compromise at its finest. 

99022BDC-517E-4AC8-B9F5-7B0F8181BFE9.jpeg

13AA56EA-4593-4F14-B63C-30B770A356CB.jpeg

645917D8-DE8C-47A8-BA8C-D6A2C0CC3456.jpeg

BCE261F3-FCC8-427F-9404-1124F6E5A17E.jpeg

Never thought of looking for something like this. Ordering one for my trip because I can see myself using it every time I go. Thanks!!!