The next cigar trend....and why?

On 6/17/2018 at 2:57 PM, NSXCIGAR said:

As long as Cubatabaco exists this won't happen. Cuban tobacco production would need to be completely privatized for raw leaf to be sold to private parties. Interestingly, the vast majority of the cigars sold in the US pre-embargo were US-rolled with Cuban leaf. The US market for Cuban puros was very limited. Cuba sold most of its leaf to the US. The US was working hard to find a substitute for Cuban wrapper as it it's the most expensive part and after 1900 much of the leaf used was Sumatra and Connecticut. 

If the industry was completely privatized it would be very interesting to see what happens though. Obviously the production infrastructure in the US has vanished and moved to Central America. 

I would agree that I would not expect cubatabco to outsource leaf. I was thinking that with the added pressure of US sales that cubatabaco would bring in leaf so as to expand given the  greater demand. Probably wrapper material. Your thoughts in that regard?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm hoping the jaw breaker movement fizzles and we start seeing more Lonsdale and Lancero come on line.

Virtual cigars. (patent pending) Put on the specially crafted googles, insert the nose plugs/inhaler tube and away you go! Easier to store than real cigars that can become mouldy, have tobacco be

Since the current trend is bigger cigars...I say they go all in. Take The Woody for example. Who doesn't want a 21" 100rg stick?...Just think of how many bands they can fit on it!

On 6/26/2018 at 2:52 PM, GWG said:

I would agree that I would not expect cubatabco to outsource leaf. I was thinking that with the added pressure of US sales that cubatabaco would bring in leaf so as to expand given the  greater demand. Probably wrapper material. Your thoughts in that regard?

I think the US model would be exactly the same as the worldwide model. A company would be chosen to handle distribution and they choose who gets what directly. There would also likely be LCDHs in major US cities. In fact, I'm aware of at least one LCDH that offers some NCs for sale alongside the CCs. AFAIK LCDH proprietors have a fairly long leash as to their in-store activities and the stock they sell and it's origins. 

Even with the low US duties on tobacco, I would expect that our trusted vendors would be just fine if not busier. Prices might even drop as the risk of customs seizures falls to zero, eliminating loss overhead. Depending on state and local taxes, it might still be cheaper to purchase boxes from our current worldwide vendors than it is to purchase locally. 

• 2 years later...
On 6/27/2018 at 11:40 PM, NSXCIGAR said:

Depending on state and local taxes, it might still be cheaper to purchase boxes from our current worldwide vendors than it is to purchase locally. 

We see this is already true for many NC's that are offered by the vendor selling both NC and Cuban cigars.

I'd really love to see Habanos promote the cigars and blends down to the Finca.  There shouldn't be so many secrets on where and how the tobaccos came from and how they are processed.  It brings consumers closer to the product and builds even more affection.  Would be great for tourism and greater appreciation of the nation too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

We see this is already true for many NC's that are offered by the vendor selling both NC and Cuban cigars.

I'd really love to see Habanos promote the cigars and blends down to the Finca.  There shouldn't be so many secrets on where and how the tobaccos came from and how they are processed.  It brings consumers closer to the product and builds even more affection.  Would be great for tourism and greater appreciation of the nation too.

With the monopoly that they have I'm not sure why all the secrecy either. I could understand it much more pre-Rev when CCs were privatized and there was competition. I guess it's just the nature of the regime. Although they seem to be willing to at least claim it on the Phoenicia 40s. 

On 6/13/2018 at 1:06 PM, jackupster said:

Since the current trend is bigger cigars...I say they go all in. Take The Woody for example. Who doesn't want a 21" 100rg stick?...Just think of how many bands they can fit on it!

The-Woody-by-Oscar-2.jpg

That is a cigar to smoke when binge watching something on Netflix

On 6/12/2018 at 9:37 PM, Lotusguy said:

Boxes of 10 and 20 and petacas only. 50 cabs will be discontinued for regular production but still available for a few RE releases.

Smoking will be illegal in many countries but the black market will thrive. Plain packaging in most other countries.

Only 5 Marcas will survive in regular production: Cohiba, RyJ, Montecristo, Upmann, and either Partagas or Hoyo. The rest will be RE like La Escepcion.

Prices will be through the roof like LV/Louboutin/Chanel category luxury goods.

Those are my dire predictions.

Pretty close to the mark on some of these. The 6 marcas you named are now the Global Brands!

Lots of 10 count boxes now, LE, RE and RP.

Prices, especially RE/LE have gone through the roof.

Good calls man.

On 6/26/2018 at 2:52 PM, GWG said:

I wouldn't mind shade wrapped cubans

8 hours ago, asudevil08 said:

That's hell of a donkey d@$k baseball bat cigar buddy! I'm sure it deserves to be mentioned in Howard Stern Show LOL ?. I should get Montecristo A as well XD ?

Seems like the next trend may be less size/vitola based, but more tobacco aging/fermentation based. At least in new world cigars, I feel like I'm hearing more and more about bourbon barrel aged tobacco, etc. Those type of experimental methods might be the next thing to market, or to make cigar lines different than one another when other variables stay the same.

i think things like aged tobacco in barrels, etc, will only help to strengthen Cuban cigars.

the reason they are aging in bourbon barrels, and other flavour additives, is they know their tobacco flavour is sub par. Why else change the flavour of what you grow?

if that happens, it'll make "Cuban tobacco" (ie, natural) even more popular.

• Like 1

however, the process of imparting flavour and other elements to tobacco leaf has been something very nontraditional to Cuban cigars. You are buying Cuban tobacco for a reason.

maybe I'll be wrong, but I don't believe I'll see external flavour added to Cuban tobacco in my lifetime.

2 minutes ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

maybe I'll be wrong, but I don't believe I'll see external flavour added to Cuban tobacco in my lifetime.

I'd not be surprised if you've not already seen it :)

(I don't put anything past anyone)

12 minutes ago, NW_Oregon said:

Lancero's seem pretty popular in the US

Here's hoping for the return of long skinnies, but I doubt it :(

Actually Lanceros are trending down in the US. According to many retailers they just sit in the humidors and don’t sell well.  Crazy because it’s one of my favorite vitolas.

7 minutes ago, Jon11 said:

Actually Lanceros are trending down in the US. According to many retailers they just sit in the humidors and don’t sell well.  Crazy because it’s one of my favorite vitolas.

Almost all the NCs I will buy these days are lanceros when they go on sale on on-line sites.    Those opportunities are rare, and I can't resist when I find them.

My experience is that the "no name" lanceros usually punch well above their weight--they are probably overruns for the reasons you stated, not for any quality issues.

Single locale/region, or even Vega, cigars in highly polished boxes of 3 or 5 that sell for the same price as does a box of 25 today.  Some made from rare tobacco strains of old, brought back from the lab. 

oh, with 3 bands: one for the brand, one for Locale, think Margaux, and one for harvest(s) vintage. 

And Why?

the answer to all questions is the same: “follow the money.”

• Like 1