Have you ever had a BAD 898?

As I’m sitting here on the porch, bathing in the bliss that is afforded me by this 10yo 898, it dawns on me... I don’t think I’ve ever had one that wasn’t just superb. For over 20 years, it has always been faithful. Sure it’s changed since 2000, but it’s still a firecracker. I can’t think of a single bad one I’ve ever smoked. 

Can you???

image.jpg

• Like 1

Never had a bad one, never had a plugged one.  But the blend it definitely getting lighter post 2008-09 

It was one of the very few cubans post 2000 that could genuinely give you a 'whitey' if you smoked it ROTT (not that thats a badge of honour).  Still love them, even if they've lost a bit of their bite

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Never a bad one, but many medicore ones. In fact, I found the 898 handed out at the last Partagas Festival to be thoroughly uninspiring.

Its Funny you say that, I almost smoked a festival 898 this afternoon. I decided on a Puntilla though and I am thoroughly enjoying it as I type this. 

I cant say I've ever had a bad 898. I have had a few that have been just been "too much" and really knocked me on my ass though.

• Like 1

It’s not a cigar I’ve smoke a lot of but my TUO OCT 12 box I’m about half way through has been outstanding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True that. But, well, that is a special cigar from a particularly good year you got there. Funny you come up with this, as I just had a '08 898 last week, too. Best cigar of the year for me, and probably best from that box so far.

I've had poor ones, sure, ones that I didn't enjoy, overly strong, bold and unbalanced. But often turning out as a matter of proper maturing. These simply need time for me, one of the (few) cigars I do not enjoy when young. Still, while being a fan of all the Dalias coming out of Partagas (Party, RA, Boli, LGC), my all-time true love is the MdO No.2.

But this particular TEB 08 box is bliss.

898_2.thumb.JPG.9fc7ecd3641db1e5d521a9594ba4cd30.JPG

898_3.thumb.JPG.27c43676138f452b50fea0e94b4b6598.JPG

• Like 2

Have a box unvarnished 898's from around '01.  First few cigars were all tent pegs and I lost interest in the box.  A few years ago I thought I'd give another one a go and it was perfect.  All the cigars since then have been solid.

2 hours ago, Fugu said:

True that. But, well, that is a special cigar from a particularly good year you got there. Funny you come up with this, as I just had a '08 898 last week, too. Best cigar of the year for me, and probably best from that box so far.

I've had poor ones, sure, ones that I didn't enjoy, overly strong, bold and unbalanced. But often turning out as a matter of proper maturing. These simply need time for me, one of the (few) cigars I do not enjoy when young. Still, while being a fan of all the Dalias coming out of Partagas (Party, RA, Boli, LGC), my all-time true love is the MdO No.2.

But this particular TEB 08 box is bliss.

898_2.thumb.JPG.9fc7ecd3641db1e5d521a9594ba4cd30.JPG

898_3.thumb.JPG.27c43676138f452b50fea0e94b4b6598.JPG

TEB08 cigars regardless of marca or vitola were damn good, period. Burned through some great boxes of BRC and RASS from that exact code. Still have a half box left of BRC and smoke them sparingly.

2 hours ago, NYgarman said:

TEB08 cigars regardless of marca or vitola were damn good, period. Burned through some great boxes of BRC and RASS from that exact code. Still have a half box left of BRC and smoke them sparingly.

I see TEB on the codes index. Anyone know which factory BLP was in 2008?

I also learnt that this was a cigar that I don't enjoy young.  But with five years on them they were marvellous.  Unfortunately it took me five years to figure that out.

Considering that each box of CC will have at least a 15-20% fail, I've pretty much had more than one cigar in each box be below expectations or pretty much unsmokable.

As far as the 898 is concerned, it has been a better average than most though.

• Like 1