Where to stay at Fort Lauderdale?

I would like to ask some advice about Fort Lauderdale hotels. We are planning of staying there 4 nights at December before cruise. Good value hotel that is near restaurants and shops would be something I am looking for. We have 2 years old child with us so we don’t need any nightclubs or bars but pool or beach would be nice.

I stayed at a place called Plunge beach hotel over March break with my wife and two kids (5 and 3). It is right on the beach in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea. It’s a little further north from the main Fort Lauderdale strip however still close to plenty of good places to eat. Prices are not outrageous but they are not what I would call cheap either. The nicest thing about it for me was that it was all practically brand new. I don’t know your budget, all i can tell you is I will be going back after Christmas. 

I'm a loyal Hilton person so I'm not familiar with the other choices.  The Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Front Resort is very nice.  Good restaurant in the hotel if you feel like staying in.  Lots of restaurants close by but it's mainly a tourist thing and I think a lot is overpriced.  Pool and obviously the beach is right there too.  There's a restaurant called 15th Street Fisheries which is absolutely worth the drive for lunch.

Have you considered airbnb? Some pretty good values there e.g. this or this