Johnny O - World Famous SBMF

Intro: custom cigar (6-1/8 x 52) rolled by Santos with some very high-quality tobacco. Thin wrapper over a slightly spongy bunch. Have had this cigar for about a week, during which it was frozen, then dryboxed.

Dry puff - chocolate and cuban earth. Faint hints of cream with cinnamon

1st puffs - cocoa and cuban terroir, finish is woody cream with light cinnamon and citrus

1st 3rd - fantastic depth to flavors - can pick out the chalk and minerals in earth with very faint manure. Breads begin to come into the picture on the finish. Aroma of resting cigar smells like a sweet cream pastry with raisins

2nd - chocolate is sweeter and smoother and earth is easily the most dynamic component of the profile.  Finish is an array of sweet kitchen spices (coriander, cinnamon, cardamom) and raisin-citrus. Same profile as before, but much, much more depth. Aroma is even richer, pungent sweet cream pastry.

3rd - chocolate is spicier, earth has shifted to a darker, smoother, rich potting soil. The spices are the real story in this last length - mind-bogglingly complex and constantly shifting in nature.  Finish is complex - sometimes milk chocolate, sometimes earth fading to pepper. Light cream follows giving way to cinnamon or citrus, depending on which puff it was. Strength ramps up to fuerte.

I find myself doing this with most customs as they're typically so different than the name-brands I usually smoke: this was a Monte 2 (and glorious Monte 2 at that) with an RyJ Churchill coming to share the spotlight in the last third.

John described this as a "novelty" vitola to me in an email and I have to disagree. Cutting the fan of tobacco at the head left a perfect mouthpiece that is more comfortable than a piramide. The whole WF series is fast becoming a go-to for me, surpassing many of the household names that come in cabinets or dress boxes.  3 thumbs up!

IMG_20180704_111802.jpg

IMG_20180704_111820.jpg

IMG_20180704_111754.jpg

IMG_20180704_113913.jpg

IMG_20180704_111931.jpg

• Like 2

On July 4, 2018 at 1:50 PM, Jimmy_jack said:

He actually told you who it was rolled by? Nice.

Never understood why people are so hesitant to go straight to the source and ask a simple question. Especially with John - he's a nice guy.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I smoked my first one yesterday, and can honestly say there is good quality leaf in these. The wrapper is dark, with a nice sheen to it. In a year or two, these will be off the charts good.