Cuba in Aug.?

Wife and I talked ourselves into Cuba(Santa Maria-resort) in beginning of aug. ......we were going to do a driving vacation like we usually do once a year , but we just want to lay around and do nothing for a week. We are going to book last min in case of bad weather, but what are the bugs and heat like that time of year? We usually go mid nov.

Thanks!

Not sure about the bugs, but August is the hottest month of the year and the beginning of the height of the hurricane season.  The 90 days from August 1 through October are prime hurricane season.  A storm can blow up at any time and at any place in the Caribbean and the Gulf, so even if you book last minute there's no assurance a storm may blow up and ruin your trip. 

BTW, my wife and I stayed a couple of days at the Cayo Santa Maria resort in 2012 and loved the beaches.  The resort was probably a four or five star for Cuba but a two star anywhere else.

Not trying to be negative.  Just passing along what I know. 

• Like 2

Not sure about the bugs, but August is the hottest month of the year and the beginning of the height of the hurricane season.  The 90 days from August 1 through October are prime hurricane season.  A storm can blow up at any time and at any place in the Caribbean and the Gulf, so even if you book last minute there's no assurance a storm may blow up and ruin your trip. 
BTW, my wife and I stayed a couple of days at the Cayo Santa Maria resort in 2012 and loved the beaches.  The resort was probably a four or five star for Cuba but a two star anywhere else.

Yeah I realized this myself after I booked our quick anniversary trip for July 30th-Aug 2nd. lol Fingers crossed.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The humidity is so thick you can stir it with a fork. Take repellent to spray an area and some to put on your skin. My kids swear by those bands that are less than $1, take 4 per person (one on each arm/leg). Wallmart has them. You might look silly but you wont get bit. Don't wear black clothes, they like that. They will always look for shade and the hottest part of the house/room. Sit where there is a breeze or AC/fan. Take Benadryl bite treatment and Calamine lotion if they get to you badly. There are outbreaks of Dengue and Zika from time to time there. Neither one will kill you but if the government notices you have it you will be quarantined in a crummy hospital until you are totally out of it (up to 2 weeks). Neither one is a pleasant experience. If you are getting bit, move around. Don't sit there and take more bites. You might spend $20 on the goodies I suggested but you will not find any of it in Cuba. John

• Like 3

7 hours ago, JohnnyO said:

The humidity is so thick you can stir it with a fork. Take repellent to spray an area and some to put on your skin. My kids swear by those bands that are less than $1, take 4 per person (one on each arm/leg). Wallmart has them. You might look silly but you wont get bit. Don't wear black clothes, they like that. They will always look for shade and the hottest part of the house/room. Sit where there is a breeze or AC/fan. Take Benadryl bite treatment and Calamine lotion if they get to you badly. There are outbreaks of Dengue and Zika from time to time there. Neither one will kill you but if the government notices you have it you will be quarantined in a crummy hospital until you are totally out of it (up to 2 weeks). Neither one is a pleasant experience. If you are getting bit, move around. Don't sit there and take more bites. You might spend $20 on the goodies I suggested but you will not find any of it in Cuba. John

You should know Sir and I plan to follow this advice on my late August trip

THANK YOU

Well, I thought I was getting a bunch of great cigars for our anniversary. I suspect based on the last couple posts, I may get murdered. lol I may have assured my wife that it's not that much hotter or more humid than the DC area when we're going.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

On 7/8/2018 at 7:52 PM, stogieluver said:

Thanks....ya I'm worried about the weather, so this will be a last min. booking. We have been at the Iberostar ensenachos twice now and love it. We dont go for 5 star resorts, we go to chill and the beaches ^_^

I was traveling around for 17 days las summer break of July/August. Hot but great. Not that I could ever care about bugs, but there weren’t any. Only small thing that really bothered me during the 17 days was the one day smell of the Cienfuegos bay?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well based on the weather, I'm in for a wet visit while I'm there.  The only thing I'm hoping is that because August isn't as popular for a visit, perhaps I'll have a shot at some interesting purchases.

4 hours ago, n0s4atu said:

Well based on the weather, I'm in for a wet visit while I'm there.  The only thing I'm hoping is that because August isn't as popular for a visit, perhaps I'll have a shot at some interesting purchases.

sure, bro, just go and have fun and I am sure you will.

rain doesnt kill. yet.

Well I booked it, screw it. We leave on fri morn. .....from a couple of facebook Cuba groups im in, rain only seems to last a short time, and mostly at night. Have seen lots of pics from the last few weeks and it looks just fine....going to a resort in Cayo Santa Marie.Cigar choices wont be the best, but i'm gonna lay around and do NOTHING for week.

On 7/25/2018 at 7:34 AM, n0s4atu said:

Let us know how it goes! Prob. wont be as bad as u think.

Just now, BellevilleMXZ said:

Well I booked it, screw it. We leave on fri morn. .....from a couple of facebook Cuba groups im in, rain only seems to last a short time, and mostly at night. Have seen lots of pics from the last few weeks and it looks just fine....going to a resort in Cayo Santa Marie.Cigar choices wont be the best, but i'm gonna lay around and do NOTHING for week.

You aren't going to go to Havana at all?

2 hours ago, BellevilleMXZ said:

Doing nothing in a week..?..But you’ll be smoking a stack of regulars on the beach every day, better than at home.? Have a great time, - wish it was me.

3 hours ago, Hookmaker said:

Doing nothing in a week..?..But you’ll be smoking a stack of regulars on the beach every day, better than at home.? Have a great time, - wish it was me.

LOL well true....

18 hours ago, BellevilleMXZ said:

Let us know how it goes! Prob. wont be as bad as u think.

I will definitely post up about the trip when we get back. Heading to the airport Monday at 4am. We'll be having a late lunch in Havana.  Rain the whole time would definitely be a bummer, but I'm sure the trip will be great regardless. 

• Like 2

Rained daily but only for 30 or so mins. It actually cooled things down. The rain isn't an issue in August it's the heat. Sitting at the Ft. Lauderdale airport waiting on our connection home and thought I'd check in. Pics of the goodies to come. Reports of the Chinese buying all the Cohibas up are 100% accurate. Even with rum they were literally buying cases at a time. cf49f99b0696037542e4bf1f33eeced2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Damn them...... they could leave a little for the rest of us
Anxiously awaiting pictures
Lol I'm anxiously awaiting our flight home. They had us de-plane because we are delayed 2 hours. Don't they know I have a haul to unpack!
Oh and I'm going to share this in my trip review, but Do Not carry on your Hotel Nacional ashtray. It looks bad on the xray and I was pulled aside briefly in Cuba and asked for facturas. I handed the kid a stack of receipts and facturas and he just let me pass without even looking for the cigars. At Ft. Lauderdale my carry on was checked again and the agent told me the ashtray was opaque on their xray. As soon as he verified that's what it was he let me pass. Customs on the US side was a breeze.

11 minutes ago, n0s4atu said:

Lol I'm anxiously awaiting our flight home. They had us de-plane because we are delayed 2 hours. Don't they know I have a haul to unpack!
Oh and I'm going to share this in my trip review, but Do Not carry on your Hotel Nacional ashtray. It looks bad on the xray and I was pulled aside briefly in Cuba and asked for facturas. I handed the kid a stack of receipts and facturas and he just let me pass without even looking for the cigars. At Ft. Lauderdale my carry on was checked again and the agent told me the ashtray was opaque on their xray. As soon as he verified that's what it was he let me pass. Customs on the US side was a breeze.

You were very lucky to get the ashtray

7C79BB31-6585-4A76-BFFA-1519CE8858F3.jpeg

3 hours ago, n0s4atu said:

Rained daily but only for 30 or so mins. It actually cooled things down. The rain isn't an issue in August it's the heat. Sitting at the Ft. Lauderdale airport waiting on our connection home and thought I'd check in. Pics of the goodies to come. Reports of the Chinese buying all the Cohibas up are 100% accurate. Even with rum they were literally buying cases at a time. cf49f99b0696037542e4bf1f33eeced2.jpg

I don’t remember ever seeing that Cuba sign? Is it new ?

It appeared sometime between our Ecuentros trip and my last trip in late April. 

I saw it for the first time in March, it was not there last November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1