First trip to Cuba

I didn't know what to expect, but used it more as a recon trip for the 2nd time i go. I don't recommend anyone go to Cuba in the summertime. I would say go from October to February. I traded over 3500 Euros at the airport, and quickly found out that it was not going to be enough. So there is A LOT that I didn't get to buy.

Also worth noting is that just about every store i went to had mentioned a recent visit from the Chinese, and they had wiped out most Cohiba supply and much of what had been on my list.

I visited the following LCDH, and added notes where I thought necessary:

Hotel Melia Habana- had plenty of custom rolls (Yolanda correct?) and a few singles of Talisman left

Partagas factory- unfortunately this was on my last full day there, so I absolutely had no money left to buy anything here. But they had a really great selection and had many boxes in which i hadn't seen available in other stores at all. Didnt go to the VIP lounge in the back, but next time maybe.

Hotel Conde de Villanueva- kinda stumbled upon this one after visiting another LCDH closeby. Don't recall the address of the other one, but it was very small. This is the first time i found the Montecristo Linea 1935....all 3 of them in fact. Bought a box of Leyenda but sadly couldnt pick up all 3. The only other store to carry the new Montecristo line was at the airport, by the way.

Also first time i found full boxes of Cohiba Media Siglo.

Hotel Nacional- still upset about this one, but absolutely NO ashtrays. I asked everyone throughout the hotel. I found a couple 50 cabs of Lusitanias though! Too bad i didnt bring enough money for them lol

Hotel Melia Cohiba- not a great selection but not bad either. I bought 2 (5) count boxes of Montecristo As from 2015, and 50 cab of PLPC from 2016, and a couple other reg production

Hotel Comodoro- only had a few bundles of La Puntillas left, but i have Alexs card/contact info if anyone would like it. I bought 2 bundles

Other selection was so-so. Some various 50 cabs caught my eye and i think i bought a couple other boxes here. Cannot remember which. I believe 50 cab of Partagas shorts from 2 or 3 years ago.

Didnt make it in time to visit the famous shop on 5th and 16 Ave. They were closed. Also never made it to Club Habana to grab any Monsdales. I learned a lot though and will know what to do when i go back. I only need 2 full days there and i'll be good.

Made it to La Guarida, but they seemed pretty stuck up and portion sizes were insanely small. Also really expensive. 

Went to the infamous La Floridita and the older guy working the bar gave us a bottle of rum to hang onto while he quickly filled our glasses every time we ran out. 

304 O'Reilly was on point. Food and drinks were delicious

If you want to save money, i recommend hiring a random dude to drive you everywhere you want to go. Taxis are stupid expensive for it being Cuba. Absolutely insane. I've been to a lot of countries and Cuba by far, had the worst overall service of anywhere i've ever been or lived.

I'm sure i left out a lot but if anyone has any questions, just let me know

I highly recommend Hansel. Great guy, great english speaker. He's like hiring a tour guide. Knows all there is to know about the city. His mother (in the photo) works at LCDH Partagas and when I've gone in there with Hansel in the past, she rolls out the red carpet! 8fe4cd55b3c1e4478d346be2eeebaf1c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BolivarSmoker said:

I highly recommend Hansel. Great guy, great english speaker. He's like hiring a tour guide. Knows all there is to know about the city. His mother (in the photo) works at LCDH Partagas and when I've gone in there with Hansel in the past, she rolls out the red carpet! 8fe4cd55b3c1e4478d346be2eeebaf1c.jpg

How much he charges?

How much he charges?

Last time I was there I paid him $60 cuc. Was with him about 6-7 hrs that day. Tipped him very well on top of that. Split with my brother and it was money well spent.

I've got him lined up for September as well. I suspect it will be similar.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2018 at 10:23 PM, Derboesekoenig said:

Also worth noting is that just about every store i went to had mentioned a recent visit from the Chinese, and they had wiped out most Cohiba supply and much of what had been on my list.

I bet a box of cohibas the prices will go up within ten years noticeably due to chinese aficionados

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2018 at 8:13 AM, Derboesekoenig said:

All cigars will go up noticeably in 10 years. Haven't they skyrocketed the last 10 years already? Anyone have the government price lists dating back? I think it would be very cool to see prices from 2000, 2005, 2010....and compare.

According to the waayback machine (Internet archive) Prices haven't changed in the past 5 years.  It is far back as they have archived for yul. 

Cool website, you can use the site to see web pages from many years ago

https://archive.org/web/

Prices December 2012

https://web.archive.org/web/20130504205713/http://yulcigars.blogspot.com/

1 hour ago, Monterey said:

According to the waayback machine (Internet archive) Prices haven't changed in the past 5 years.  It is far back as they have archived for yul. 

Cool website, you can use the site to see web pages from many years ago

https://archive.org/web/

Prices December 2012

https://web.archive.org/web/20130504205713/http://yulcigars.blogspot.com/

On the Island most prices haven't risen in years. There are some exceptions; Siglo I, Distinguidos, Partagas Aristocrats, and a host of others. HSA has however drastically increased the import price of these cigars over the last 5-10 years. 

The YUL Cigars Blog is priceless though! I print the most updated list before each trip. 

• Like 1