BenRiach 10 Year Old

Ken Gargett

been doing some blind tasting of whiskies for a new guide coming soon. surprised by how much i liked a few - JW Black Label Sherry Finish (didn't even know they made a Sherry Finish), for example. only picked one - the Woodford Reserve Double Oak, which i also liked (still, one is way better than i usually do with wine). 

the one that really stunned me, and i don't think i have ever looked at anything from this distillery before, was the BenRiach 10 Year Old. really struck me as the sort of whicky you'd have up amongst the heather or on some of those barren windswept islands in the freezing cold. loved it.

wondering if any are familiar with it? and thoughts. 

• Like 1

The peated Curiositas?  I'm a really big fan of it.  It's a lot different to Islays with their maritime influence, but it's a fantastic value for what you get.  The barnyard flavours are interesting and different, yet approachable.  If I wanted to show someone exactly what mainland peat tasted like, this would be the dram I'd hand them.  I'm also a big fan of their cask finishes; they're one of the few distilleries I'd trust to buy blindly if the bottle sounded interesting.

• Like 1