Is this Cohiba fake or real? I believe it is a CORO

wphillips

Okay group.  I purchased this Cohiba from an online retailer.  I cannot find the box.  I think it is supposed to be a 2016 CORO.  The "experts" at my local shop say it is fake.  I trust the retailer but thought I would put it before the real experts.  Please tell me what you think and why.  Thank you!

Cohiba.jpg

1 hour ago, wphillips said:

Okay group.  I purchased this Cohiba from an online retailer.  I cannot find the box.  I think it is supposed to be a 2016 CORO.  The "experts" at my local shop say it is fake.  I trust the retailer but thought I would put it before the real experts.  Please tell me what you think and why.  Thank you!

Cohiba.jpg

I think you should go to the Newbie Forum and Introduce yourself before you ask the group for help. 

http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/forum/6-newbie-introductions/

Seriously, @Fugu a 5 post minimum would do it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Corylax18 said:

I think you should go to the Newbie Forum and Introduce yourself before you ask the group for help. 

http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/forum/6-newbie-introductions/

Seriously, @Fugu a 5 post minimum would do it.

Actually, I have been a member of this site for about 3 years and made many purchases.  So, I am not new.  I was just asking for some opinions about a cigar, but thanks for your comment. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, wphillips said:

Actually, I have been a member of this site for about 3 years and made many purchases.  So, I am not new.  I was just asking for some opinions about a cigar, but thanks for your comment. 

It's just a common courtesy thing here. I wouldn't take offense to it

• Like 1

6 hours ago, crking3 said:

The guys been a member of the forum for 3 yrs ...

There is no question that the shop and forum are tied together, but I've always believed the forum to be it's own entity. Length of membership and participation don't always go together. I suppose it comes down to how we view the forum - a place to simply post stuff and mine information, or a place where there are actual discussions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fugu said:

The thing is, and I have to leap to Cory's support here, it really is a fine line: See, I don't have any issues with the forum providing information and knowledge to novice BOTLs, not at all, and that indeed is what this forum is and should be all about. But the problem I am having with "new members" asking about fakes - mind you, without a single previous post our friend here simply is new to the forum (may he have signed up three years or a decade ago...) - all too often, in this subforum, I have the bad inkling that we may also be assisting scammers. Camaradery, brotherhood, or how one likes to call it, is a mutual thing and always works both ways - has to. Personally, I don't feel obliged to "brothers" who just come here to tap free information, but haven't or aren't willing to offer much by themselves in return. And not few of these new or even first-time posters in this "Suspect Cigar" subforum, signing in only for just this their only inquiry, are thereafter never seen again.

Therefore, I am a strong proponent of a requirement of a minimum number of posts here, like it's holding for other sections of FOH, too. If you want to enjoy the benefits of an expert forum, in particular in a touchy subject such as fakes and counterfeits, there is (should be) some minimum requirements, taking the trouble of which will be all worth it. But at the very least, an intro in the newby-section should be obligatory before assistance could be asked for. This just as a minimum measure to rule out scammers and trolls. It has nothing to do with arrogance or unwillingness to help or declining on "promoting a culture" - this is about us just not being naive.

WHOA!  Geez!  Good grief, I simply went onto the forum where I have been a member for 3 years to ask a question about a cuban cigar I have in my collection.  I did not intend to cause an uproar among the "oldheads."  However, after reading a couple of these posts, I decided to do something I do not usually do - post to the forum. 

Not that I owe it to Pig, Fugu, or Coralax, but for a larger purpose.  I will tell you I have been smoking cigars, including Cubans, since the 90s.  I took time away from cigars for about 10 years, but picked them back up about 5 years ago.  A member of this forum and several other forums, vouched for my bona fides to Rob (and some other forums) and I was put on this and several other clandestine cigar forums stateside. 

Just for conversation, since it is not Cuban cigars to which I speak now, I have met Jack Torano and Christian Eiro and have smoked cigars with Nick Perdomo and Oscar Rodriguez.  So.... no, I am in no way new to cigars or this forum.  However, I can guarantee you there are many more people on this forum who, like me, choose not to interject themselves into most conversations but still find a good number of them informative.  I do not think an elitist attitude is ever good for the cigar brotherhood. I have many BOTLs and we have way too many other battles to fight in the U.S., namely, the ludicrous FDA and unreasonable smoking bans popping up in many cities across our country. 

Also, I am always willing to help out where I can, but it seems you guys have everything under control here...

Again, I JUST WANTED AN OPINION ABOUT A CIGAR I HAD.... Finally, Pig talks about scammers and trolls - of course, the glaring irony is HE and Fugu and Coralax are using fake names and I am using my real name to post, so.... 

I did not know there was such an epidemic in the cigar world of scammers and trolls to forums.  Maybe I am ignorant of that, but I am a member of 5 Closed Cigar Facebook groups as well as a couple other cigar forums and have never seen the angst on any posts there my post has received from a FEW people here.  I know that the majority of folks here are like me and think, at bottom, most of this thread has become a comedy. 

However, Mr. Pig, you answered your own (and Fugu and Coralax's) question - if you think the post is suspect or fake news or unworthy of comment from such an informed enthusiast as you, JUST IGNORE IT....  Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.... deuces....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wphillips said:

WHOA!  Geez!  Good grief, I simply went onto the forum where I have been a member for 3 years to ask a question about a cuban cigar I have in my collection.  I did not intend to cause an uproar among the "oldheads."  However, after reading a couple of these posts, I decided to do something I do not usually do - post to the forum. 

Not that I owe it to Pig, Fugu, or Coralax, but for a larger purpose.  I will tell you I have been smoking cigars, including Cubans, since the 90s.  I took time away from cigars for about 10 years, but picked them back up about 5 years ago.  A member of this forum and several other forums, vouched for my bona fides to Rob (and some other forums) and I was put on this and several other clandestine cigar forums stateside. 

Just for conversation, since it is not Cuban cigars to which I speak now, I have met Jack Torano and Christian Eiro and have smoked cigars with Nick Perdomo and Oscar Rodriguez.  So.... no, I am in no way new to cigars or this forum.  However, I can guarantee you there are many more people on this forum who, like me, choose not to interject themselves into most conversations but still find a good number of them informative.  I do not think an elitist attitude is ever good for the cigar brotherhood. I have many BOTLs and we have way too many other battles to fight in the U.S., namely, the ludicrous FDA and unreasonable smoking bans popping up in many cities across our country. 

Also, I am always willing to help out where I can, but it seems you guys have everything under control here...

Again, I JUST WANTED AN OPINION ABOUT A CIGAR I HAD.... Finally, Pig talks about scammers and trolls - of course, the glaring irony is HE and Fugu and Coralax are using fake names and I am using my real name to post, so.... 

I did not know there was such an epidemic in the cigar world of scammers and trolls to forums.  Maybe I am ignorant of that, but I am a member of 5 Closed Cigar Facebook groups as well as a couple other cigar forums and have never seen the angst on any posts there my post has received from a FEW people here.  I know that the majority of folks here are like me and think, at bottom, most of this thread has become a comedy. 

However, Mr. Pig, you answered your own (and Fugu and Coralax's) question - if you think the post is suspect or fake news or unworthy of comment from such an informed enthusiast as you, JUST IGNORE IT....  Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.... deuces....

i don't think people are challenging your right to be part of this forum or to ask questions. 

it is that everyone likes to know who they are dealing with. not hard to understand. and there have been a number of people over the years who come in with a quick post re fakes and are gone for good. if you have been here that length of time then presumably that is not you. 

instead of attacking those that raised this (yes, this is me as a moderate mod), i'm sure you can understand that a great many people are protective of this site. had you posted something like 'hi guys, i've been a member for three years and enjoy the forum but i'm not a poster. i do, however, have a question about a cigar i recently purchased elsewhere and would appreciate any advice...." then i think no one would have had any issues.

just a thought. 

13 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

i don't think people are challenging your right to be part of this forum or to ask questions. 

it is that everyone likes to know who they are dealing with. not hard to understand. and there have been a number of people over the years who come in with a quick post re fakes and are gone for good. if you have been here that length of time then presumably that is not you. 

instead of attacking those that raised this (yes, this is me as a moderate mod), i'm sure you can understand that a great many people are protective of this site. had you posted something like 'hi guys, i've been a member for three years and enjoy the forum but i'm not a poster. i do, however, have a question about a cigar i recently purchased elsewhere and would appreciate any advice...." then i think no one would have had any issues.

just a thought. 

Ken,

I am good with that process.  However, there are no instructions at the top of the forum that give someone who may like to post for the first, or fifth, time the information you just provided.  I think it would be a good idea to pin an instructional post to the top of the forum with a headline like "Please read before you post to this forum" with the information you stated, "If this is your first (or for your first 5 or 10 or whatever number posts) please include this introductory information with your post..."  I think that would help to alleviate the concerns of those who regularly post here.  Otherwise, I think it will be counterproductive - if I had not been involved in the post and had seen this thread, I would never have posted anything to the forums ever.  I think you risk potentially losing valuable feedback and responses from people who do not "regularly" post to the forums but have as much experience and insight as those who do.  Just a suggestion. Thanks.

The enthralling off-topic conversation aside, I would say with a fair amount of confidence that what you have is a fake. As others have mentioned, it is not always easy to make definite calls based on a photo but CoRos from at least 2015 onwards have the same band as the the Piramides (the Standard Band G: https://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/brand/cohiba). Here is a good photo from a different thread:

Holograms appear to be missing from yours and as common in fakes, the white dots have been cut off and are not aligned properly with the top border.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, wphillips said:

Ken,

I am good with that process.  However, there are no instructions at the top of the forum that give someone who may like to post for the first, or fifth, time the information you just provided.  I think it would be a good idea to pin an instructional post to the top of the forum with a headline like "Please read before you post to this forum" with the information you stated, "If this is your first (or for your first 5 or 10 or whatever number posts) please include this introductory information with your post..."  I think that would help to alleviate the concerns of those who regularly post here.  Otherwise, I think it will be counterproductive - if I had not been involved in the post and had seen this thread, I would never have posted anything to the forums ever.  I think you risk potentially losing valuable feedback and responses from people who do not "regularly" post to the forums but have as much experience and insight as those who do.  Just a suggestion. Thanks.

ta for all that. i'll confess i have never read the rules so no idea what is in them but it seems that if this is not covered, it would be a good idea. over to those that deal with the rules (i assume that isn't me). 

The problem is that most people would never even read instructions or requirements, unless it prevents them from posting. Many view forums as a free resources to get free advice and information at no cost to them.

People jump on public forums constantly to ask if they have fake cigars... without attempting to simply pull up google, do a search, and take their own time to research all the information out there.

This is similar to your neighbor never waving or introducing themselves to you since moving in, but just knocking on your door one day asking to borrow your drill.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Brandon said:

The problem is that most people would never even read instructions or requirements, unless it prevents them from posting. Many view forums as a free resources to get free advice and information at no cost to them.

People jump on public forums constantly to ask if they have fake cigars... without attempting to simply pull up google, do a search, and take their own time to research all the information out there. 

This is similar to your neighbor never waving or introducing themselves to you since moving in, but just knocking on your door one day asking to borrow your drill.

"without attempting to simply pull up google, do a search, and take their own time to research all the information out there. "

I would advise against using a Google search as a definitive source of information.  The whole purpose of being a "member" of a forum like this is to get more reliable information than one would using a Google search.  And, for me, I have to login to post.  I do not know if some people "trolling" the internet can just come in here off the street and post like some seem to be saying, but, at least for me, I have to enter my membership login information before I can post to the forums.  If you are worried about undesirables and the unclean becoming members of the forums and posting, then that would be more along the lines of a vetting process before being allowed entrance into these sacred grounds. 

• Like 1

As in the trade forum, I also think a minimum posts and date joined requirement would serve to remediate situations like these. I think people are particularly weary of fakes because, when looking from the other side, we also see people like this, in regards to the same cigar you have in question:

18 minutes ago, luckme10 said:

As in the trade forum, I also think a minimum posts and date joined requirement would serve to remediate situations like these. I think people are particularly weary of fakes because, when looking from the other side, we also see people like this, in regards to the same cigar you have in question:

I get that.  Not my intent.  However, it sounded like that guy may have met your requirements.  I don't think you can ever stop all negative posts or reviews in a forum like this.  And frankly, why would you want to?  The best thing is to deal with those head-on.  "Nip it in the bud" as Barney Fife used to say.  After all, if it were me, I would rather them post on these forums where you can accurately refute any inaccuracies rather than have them go to some other forum where the misinformation is taken as truth as no one knows the true situation or has the facts to accurately refute the negative post or review.  Just my thoughts.

12 minutes ago, wphillips said:

"without attempting to simply pull up google, do a search, and take their own time to research all the information out there. "

I would advise against using a Google search as a definitive source of information.  The whole purpose of being a "member" of a forum like this is to get more reliable information than one would using a Google search.  And, for me, I have to login to post.  I do not know if some people "trolling" the internet can just come in here off the street and post like some seem to be saying, but, at least for me, I have to enter my membership login information before I can post to the forums.  If you are worried about undesirables and the unclean becoming members of the forums and posting, then that would be more along the lines of a vetting process before being allowed entrance into these sacred grounds. 

OK. 5 posts in, and 4 of them are tips on how the forum should be run. Still no intro though, I think my original instincts were spot on. The rules and where to find them, are crystal clear by this point, but some people are special, I get it. Nobody is calling you "undesirable" or "unclean", or even taking shots at you. I've personally met and smoked with Dozens of members and if we had a vetting process most of us would be long gone. :P 

I am not currently a member of any other cigar forums or "Private Groups", just FOH, because its by far the best Cigar Community I've ever been a part of. Online or otherwise. Taking 5 minutes to review the rules section before posting really isn't asking much. Everybody here would encourage you to contribute, I am encouraging you to do so right now. A single (first) post asking for something from the group is not contribution though, quite the opposite.

It takes about 3 minutes for someone to put together a profile, log in once, ask the question, then never be seen again. I'm not saying thats you, but would you have posted again if not for all the uproar? People have to log in to Facebook or YouTube before they troll people, I don't see how a log in name or Avatar changes anything. This subforum is a gold mine for counterfeiters, and many of the one post wonders are just that. Your post threw up a lot of the red flags that many of those posts do. Very light on backup info, one blurry/overexposed photo, no post history. It was a primer on the wrong way to go about it, even for a long time member. I hope this ends up being the catalyst for you contribute more often and be a more active member, my opinion aside, I know that you are more than welcome and encouraged to do so. 

• Like 2

On 8/5/2018 at 9:55 AM, crking3 said:

Seriously the way that guy just made the comment about the newbie forum .....wow

I’m pretty sure there’s a more polite way to go about making that comment ...

The guys been a member of the forum for 3 yrs ...maybe you missed his introduction? In any case stop acting like the new member police and maybe try to help the guy out ....because that’s what this is supposed to be all about ...brothers helping brothers ...promoting a culture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, there is a more polite way of making the comment.

He is not a new member, 3 years in as you stated. Regardless, 1 day, 3 years. The post was the issue, @Brandon nailed it. I wouldn't ignore my neighbor for 3 years then tell him how to run his house when he doesn't go out of his way to help me. 

The Op has "pushed it" quite far with his comments.

"Again, I JUST WANTED AN OPINION ABOUT A CIGAR I HAD.... Finally, Pig talks about scammers and trolls - of course, the glaring irony is HE and Fugu and Coralax are using fake names and I am using my real name to post, so.... " @wphillips

Again, I am speechless.  And quite disappointed.

By the way, my name is not luv2fly. Just my handle.

:rotfl:

• Like 1

It is always great to have some light evening reading when I come back from the warehouse :rolleyes:

Fake threads aways concern me because too many are folks who joined yesterday to have a crack at retailer or trader X.  Accusations fly and many are unsubstantiated. 

"You buy the seller" is a well known axiom. I think this also goes for new members when it comes to posting about fakes. No track record as a member rightfully makes people nervous.

Now (as in this case) there was more to the story.  Members are rightfully protective of their house. 

In retrospect I suspect many here would have handled this differently. No blood was spilled. 

Learn and move on. 

PS. it certainly looks fake. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1