Review - La Gloria Cubana Serie D No. 5 RE España 2017

Second day in a row of gloomy weather in Arkansas (perfect for summer cigar smoking IMO) and I realized I had not done a review for quite some time so.. Its odd, usually August is a killer month in terms of temperature but July was much worse than usual this year and August has started mellow. Hopefully, fall is coming early.

This is the fourth cigar I have smoked from this box, as well as three given out to friends, and I'd say that there has been great consistency between all smokes. I smoked the first one just a couple of days after getting them and it got a bit mongrel towards the end but that is probably due to my lack of patience.

20180808_123721.thumb.jpg.b97b9c5e1a6ae8edd950649a7075df78.jpg

Marca: La Gloria Cubana

Name: Serie D No. 5

Vitola: Petit Robusto (50 x 4.3")

Box code: TEO DIC16 (40,118 / 50,000)

There were some significant greenness on the foot (not sure if this photo does it justice) and the previous cigars had similar traits (some greenness also visible after cutting).

20180808_152813.thumb.jpg.f396ab46bc4cbe0a808e803ed32acd4f.jpg

The smell on the foot is full of flavors, dominated by prunes (is baked prunes a thing? that is what comes to mind..), it has a slight sweetness as well that is also present on the pre-light draw. This sweetness is prominent at light-up but strong spice hits you straight away on the finish. I am almost taken aback as I retro, the spice almost punches me in the face. For a second I wonder if I really am smoking a CC and not the bastardized NC version from Carrillo. However, it is by no means overpowering and the sweetness on the front compliments the finish very well. Half of the puffs I was convinced it was black pepper, the other half white.

20180808_132241.thumb.jpg.eca450723688cef8389fca7a8111b909.jpg

Regardless, the spice balances out fairly quickly (maybe my system was getting used to it?) and the sweetness also picks up in the finish. It is a beautiful combination. In between I am getting leather, which takes a bigger role after about an inch, with hints of cedar. The second half is not very dissimilar from the first, there is both sweetness and spice throughout. I do get some pleasant notes that I had a hard time putting my finger on, almost candy-like at times (undoubtedly stemming from the sweetness) and possibly vanilla. There is some earth notes towards the very end.

20180808_141505.thumb.jpg.a38a9c091f0714d7d456f5674e59330f.jpg

Overall, I have been thoroughly impressed by this RE. I think the retail in Spain was €75 per 10 box and even though the shipping was hefty, I ended up paying just under $10 a cigar. Considering some other regionals from recent years that have had much less approachable price tags, I'd go as far as saying as this is one of the most bang-for-your-buck limited CCs out there right now (and yes, at 50,000 boxes this is probably McRibs at its finest..). I haven't smoked a ton of LGCs in the past few years and I am not sure of how true this is to the marca (but if it is then all the better).

• Like 2