6:2:1 Video Review & Competition!

I didn't pay much attention when Steve said he would like to do a few reviews pairing our previous months top 10 to some dark ales. 

number of questions asked "Zero"

I mean.....what could go wrong :rolleyes:

This to begin with

image.png

I'll take a stab at this. Not a video review but hope this still works.  Today's brew is my own homebrewed 'Dad Bod' IPA. Doesn't get more craft than that lol.  Brewed with mosaic hops in the boil and then dry hopped with cascade hops for 2 weeks. Paired with a gnarly looking Cohiba Secretos SOM MAR 17.

Beer pours dark amber. Nose shows some tropical fruits like pineapple and some citrus, presumably from the mosaic hops. Taste shows more tropical and stone fruits as well as a slight bitterness.  Can taste the alcohol too on an unfortunately short finish. 

I haven't really been impressed with the box of Secretos, they kinda look like something my cat leaves in the litterbox.  However, the pairing works quite well with the fruit and slight bitterness from the beer.  It seems to accentuate the cocoa flavor and brings out more sweetness in the cigar.

Overall rating for the pairing I'd say is maybe 8 out of 10.  It was good, not great.  Think some PSP Secretos would have made this better. Don't buy blind!!!

15339164306971271957362066541566.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stump89 said:

I'll take a stab at this. Not a video review but hope this still works.  Today's brew is my own homebrewed 'Dad Bod' IPA.

I don't drink beer but that looks insanely good :clap:

17 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I don't drink beer but that looks insanely good :clap:

Thanks, it turned out much better than expected. Next experiment is going to be chili pepper chocolate stout. Very curious to see how that turns out. 

cbf56527cc43e84c570fbbd024b31ce9.jpg

Toasted honey. Toasted caramel. Toasted tobacco. Toasted wheat and cereal. Hits of nuts, cinnamon and spiced cookies.

X

Hints of honey, wheat, bitttersweet hops. Florals with a tinge of nuttiness.

Oh I can do this everyday!

(Although, with when buying PLPC blind, the bitterness from the cigar can be enhanced by the bitterness of the hops creating an overtly bitter concoction that will ruin your day! This photo was taken with a far better batch of PLPC from le host)

The effervescence of the beer washes the palate with the right notes and readies it for the next puff and swig!

58f6792bbd4bc7bb0f451dc559f41655.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Cohiba and Other Half, two of my favorites combine for a pairing dream! Other Half, a local hot spot turned regional beer destination is putting out some of the best beers around. Every Saturday thousands of beer seekers from several States over join in Brooklyn as they wait to get their weekly allotment of the newest beer release with a line that often wraps around the entire city block.

IMG-2098.JPG

When the lines started exceeding 2 hour wait times I opted out. Great beer but I’m not spending my day off work waiting hours for beer. Typically line washes out by noon and that’s when I show up like a vulture trying to pick what’s left. A couple weeks ago some rain may have deterred the large crowd because I was pleasantly surprised when I stumbled across the Triple Broccoli and matching gold Teku mug still available when I arrived. 

Other Half is known for their New England style hazy/unfiltered IPA’s. They often have a citrus profile and pairing with a Cohiba has become my all time favorite. This beer is a triple dry hopped IPA from the popular Broccoli series which is brewed with Cascade, Mosaic, Simcoe and Hellertau Blanc hops. The cigar is a Cohiba Siglo III which I unfortunately do not have a box date. It was part of a cardboard 5 pack purchased in Zurich in 2016.

IMG-2097.JPG

As expected the cigar and beer went together nicely. The hop forward triple ipa with a 10% ABV packed a punch which the medium full Cohiba matched every step along the way. The citrus flavor sang to my pallet with both smoke and drink. I picked the Siglo III because the ones prior had been a bit fuller then my other Cohibas on hand and I was looking for something that would hold up to a stronger beer. Although a bit loopy when it was all said and done, it was a great beer with an even better cigar. I’ve never been disappointed when pairing these two and very much look forward to the next!

IMG-2100.JPG

Not every weekend is like the above picture but this was for a Monkish collaboration and apparently after the bar shut down Friday night the crowd/line started forming. I was not present this day but did show up the following day for a growler fill. Very good, 8 hours in line for a can good? Probably not... 

• Like 2

On 8/10/2018 at 1:17 PM, El Presidente said:

I didn't pay much attention when Steve said he would like to do a few reviews pairing our previous months top 10 to some dark ales. 

number of questions asked "Zero"

I mean.....what could go wrong :rolleyes:

This to begin with

image.png

My favourite winter hat. I believe it may be genuine rabbit. 

On 8/11/2018 at 2:49 AM, Stump89 said:

Beer pours dark amber. 

Love the look of this. I mean a beer has to taste good, but not much beats a rich amber finish in the glass. If 6:2:1 doesn't get taken off the air before spring/summer here, then I'll definitely be pairing some of the best of that fare from Down Under. 

Cheers,

Moe. 

On 8/13/2018 at 2:44 AM, Jfeath74 said:

When the lines started exceeding 2 hour wait times I opted out. Great beer but I’m not spending my day off work waiting hours for beer. Typically line washes out by noon and that’s when I show up like a vulture trying to pick what’s left. A couple weeks ago some rain may have deterred the large crowd because I was pleasantly surprised when I stumbled across the Triple Broccoli and matching gold Teku mug still available when I arrived. 

I was in the States recently and heard about all this "queues for brews" (I just coined that phrase right now), when I was in LA, at Highland Park Brewery. I think that's right? @Wailbait Jason will confirm. 

Anyhow, this is something unheard of in Aus, as far as I'm aware. It's just not in our culture. 2mins would be an unacceptable queue here. Still, I fully appreciate a great craft beer and what the whole scene is doing, and that beer sounds amazing! 

Great stuff! Keep 'em coming. 

The beer-line thing is so interesting to me.  I love that there is so much community and enthusiasm for any craft offering.  It keeps producers reaching beyond to innovate and refine.  But, it’s also a hype machine and creates a fascinating secondary market where people pay 100$ for a 4 pick of IPA.   I guess it’s whatever the market will bear.

The beer-line thing is so interesting to me.  I love that there is so much community and enthusiasm for any craft offering.  It keeps producers reaching beyond to innovate and refine.  But, it’s also a hype machine and creates a fascinating secondary market where people pay 100$ for a 4 pick of IPA.   I guess it’s whatever the market will bear.

All that for IPA - yuck.

6 hours ago, Wailbait said:

Love a good IPA, but I agree, there's so much hype around the craft scene that they're now inventing names for variations on variations as if it were a major category of beer. IPA being probably the biggest target. Still, having come up through the ranks with only two real choices (Tooheys or VB, two of the old mainstay mass production beers here is Aus) I'm not complaining one bit about the quality and diversity available today. 

4 minutes ago, MoeFOH said:

Love a good IPA, but I agree, there's so much hype around the craft scene that they're now inventing names for variations on variations as if it were a major category of beer. IPA being probably the biggest target. Still, having come up through the ranks with only two real choices (Tooheys or VB, two of the old mainstay mass production beers here is Aus) I'm not complaining one bit about the quality and diversity available today

Definitely something that I also find annoying. 'Unfiltered Juicy Fruity New England Hazy style IPA,' or 'Triple barrel aged double imperial stout aged on whatever.' Just throwing more words and stuff at consumers.  Just make me a good beer and I won't care what you call it.

• Like 1

Just spent another afternoon at a fabulous craft beer brewery in Berlin called Brlo.

Situated right next Gleisdreieck U-Bahn station on the U2 line, it’s constructed from disused shipping containers, and has a huge beer garden with outdoor games, and decent food as well.

A9357C09-C9AA-4F2E-B7A1-245CF5662CE4.thumb.jpeg.17963d8115794b752187cc42ca04362c.jpeg

Their pale ale was pretty tasty with an RA Phoenicio 35, but wasn’t a patch on their  Porter when paired with a JL2. Unfiltered, with a lovely chocolate and caramel finish. Thoroughly recommended.

B520E2BC-ED1A-482B-A77C-C8242ED62079.thumb.jpeg.34ffc57663140b8234940a5d4c480892.jpeg

• Like 2