Visiting Cuba solo?

Nick.Skayuna

I’ve had plans for a few months to go to Cuba in November or December. Originally the plan was to go with a friend but he has backed out due to not being to take off from work amongst other reasons. I’m considering still going alone (as stated in the title) but I feel like it may not be the best idea for a few reasons. Has anyone gone to Cuba solo, how was the experience, would you suggest/do it again? Basically I’m just looking for input, I’m currently checking with a few other friends if they can join me I was curious what others may think.

Cheers and thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

I just got back from the island on Aug. 9th with my son. Looking back on the experience, I would not hesitate going it alone. Overall, it's a pretty safe place. Just keep your cash and passport in one of those money belts.

Hi,
 I just got back from the island on Aug. 9th with my son. Looking back on the experience, I would not hesitate going it alone. Overall, it's a pretty safe place. Just keep your cash and passport in one of those money belts.

Thanks for the insight. I was under the impression it was relatively safe but it’s definitely good to hear confirmation for that. I was planning on using a fanny pack (or whatever they’re called). Hopefully the language barrier isn’t a huge issue but I’m still excited

I speak enough Spanish to get around, and honestly, would prefer going alone, unless I went with someone that was into cigars like me. 

Good point. I reached out to one other friend and he’s interested and getting back to me. If he can’t I’ll probably book it which will be nice because it’ll be 100% what I want.

On 8/11/2018 at 10:36 AM, garagedragon said:

I don't speak much Spanish, and didn't have too many problems. Most Cubans know some English.

This isn't completely true. Most Cubans, in Havana and that make a living in the Service industry know some English. Leave the touristy areas or Havana in general and the % drops drastically. I spent 2 days in/around Bayamo last year and I didn't hear a word of English for 2 1/2 days. 

I’m going back November, Thanksgiving (US) weekend by myself courtesy of my GF’s birthday present to me, and staying at a casa particular on the malecon. 3 days of cigar and rum hoarding. 

That sounds awesome. It turns out a friend of mine is able to come and he has 2 friends that may join so that’ll be an interesting time. Lookin like Sunday before thanksgiving to thanksgiving eve.

• Like 1

Nice. more suitcases to bring back the goods.  I was supposed to go last Thanksgiving in 2017 but had to cancel. My only concern is the Partagas festival is 1 week prior, the 12th-16th, and supply may be a little low by the time I get there...

Nice. more suitcases to bring back the goods.  I was supposed to go last Thanksgiving in 2017 but had to cancel. My only concern is the Partagas festival is 1 week prior, the 12th-16th, and supply may be a little low by the time I get there...

I was unaware of that but hopefully I’ll get lucky. Worst case scenario I get the leftovers and make plans to go back again

On 8/16/2018 at 11:58 PM, nickg999 said:

I’m going back November, Thanksgiving (US) weekend by myself courtesy of my GF’s birthday present to me, and staying at a casa particular on the malecon. 3 days of cigar and rum hoarding. 

I'll be there with friends during that time (Friday after Thanksgiving thru the following Tuesday).  We're staying in a Casa near the National.

• 3 weeks later...

I would do it in a second. If you search on here there is a TON of good info on where to stay/guides/drivers/places to go/where to eat/etc. Better than a travel froum I have found. It was one of the main reasons I went to Havana on one of our trips.

On 8/10/2018 at 11:34 PM, Nick.Skayuna said:

I’ve had plans for a few months to go to Cuba in November or December. Originally the plan was to go with a friend but he has backed out due to not being to take off from work amongst other reasons. I’m considering still going alone (as stated in the title) but I feel like it may not be the best idea for a few reasons. Has anyone gone to Cuba solo, how was the experience, would you suggest/do it again? Basically I’m just looking for input, I’m currently checking with a few other friends if they can join me I was curious what others may think.

Responding to your original post. If you have the opportunity to visit Cuba, by all means go. I will temper that and say that I personally would much rather have someone to enjoy it with. Last couple times I've gone my father has gone too. Its been a great time to sit, smoke and reflect. When I have a cigar I typically never want to smoke one by myself (although it happens on occasion), I enjoy a cigar best shared with friends. Cuba is like that for me. Best with friends like a great cigar and your favorite whiskey. 

Cheers!

Responding to your original post. If you have the opportunity to visit Cuba, by all means go. I will temper that and say that I personally would much rather have someone to enjoy it with. Last couple times I've gone my father has gone too. Its been a great time to sit, smoke and reflect. When I have a cigar I typically never want to smoke one by myself (although it happens on occasion), I enjoy a cigar best shared with friends. Cuba is like that for me. Best with friends like a great cigar and your favorite whiskey. 
Cheers!

My friend that was supposed to join me after the original one cancelled is also unable to make it so now it looks like it’s up to me as to whether I want to go solo or not. I’m about 50/50 but am planning on making up my decision by the end of the next week

1 minute ago, Nick.Skayuna said:

My friend that was supposed to join me after the original one cancelled is also unable to make it so now it looks like it’s up to me as to whether I want to go solo or not. I’m about 50/50 but am planning on making up my decision by the end of the next week

Do it!!!!

Most of us would go alone, in a group, with strangers, with the devil...

No matter what if we can go we go.

Think about you. Do you like to travel alone? I dont. I did it before in Europe and USA and it´s not my thing BUT I already did it in Cuba. Twice. Yes, it´s my thing.

Again. Most of us would go alone, in a group, with strangers, with the devil...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oliverdst said:

Think about you. Do you like to travel alone? I dont. I did it before in Europe and USA and it´s not my thing BUT I already did it in Cuba. Twice. Yes, it´s my thing.

Maybe if I go with the devil, I can find the cigars I want. Ha but you're right. I travel most places alone because well, it just ends up working out like that, easier, etc. I don't mind it. I can make friends anywhere usually

Welp this advice may have sold me looking up flights now