La Gloria Cubana Medaille D'Or No 2 MUR APR 13

99call

Writing this in a state of awe and nicotine head ache

Fine toothed wrapper, Rich sour hey and galangal aroma at cold

1/3 Opened with a very strange note of Komijnekaas (cumin seed gouda cheese). Although I love eating this, I'm very glad its a fleeting and gone almost instantaneously.  Strait into galangal, hey, Parkin loaf (a uk treacle, ginger cake). Pencil shavings, reminds me of a very strong El Rey Del Mundo Grandes De Espana.  Heavy vegetal grassiness.

2/3 Twang and a supreme Rolls Royce moment.  Rich beeswax furniture polish, sour hey, butter.  Galangal notes streaming off the foot. Thick smoke mouthfeel. Tannic old oak, So so clean......and Jesus it's strong, Sour leathery vanilla bean. Getting heavy huge smoke output.

3/3 Truly overwhelming, dark gingerbread, searing nicotine buzz, light headed, legs rubbery. Very clean.  More beeswax furniture polish, heavy oak tannins.     Retrospectively big mistake to smoke this at 11am, heads spinning. Easily stronger in nicotine and weight than a current Party 898.  Breath takingly rich.    final two inches show the class to quieten down, notes of buttery hey, Japanese roasted rice tea.  Hands down most evolution i've ever experienced. 

Conclusion. So so happy to have this box.  I've had a few singles of these in the past, but either something changed in them bowing out in 2013, or the other examples were a spent force.  These have legs for another 5-10 years, even if mine currently are like jelly.  This is why we smoke cigars, the occasional true nirvana moment.  Wonderful, but will only every touch again after a big meal.

DSC00395.JPG

DSC00397.JPG

DSC00400.JPG

DSC00402.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, havanaclub said:

Nice review!! I could never pick up any of those notes... emoji848.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, In doing reviews, I'm happy to hold my hands up and say I maybe on the fringes of tasting note consensus.  I always just say what I get.  I would never profess to have a good palate.....just my palate.  Cheers for the response :2thumbs:

Just now, Derboesekoenig said:

If only I could find a couple boxes of these! LGC is one of my favorite marcas. Not gonna lie, I had to look up galangal--I love ginger though! Thanks for the wonderful review.

Galangal is something that has previously made sense for me when smoking some aged ERDM. Personally I don't like to cook with it, as unlike ginger it's tastes a bit odd and vegetal. Nice in a cigar though