New to CC - love Cohiba Robusto - what next?

New to the forum, so I apologize if there is a sub dedicated solely to recommendations.  

Several Cohibas in, and I just can't get enough.  I love them.  Can anyone recommend a stick or two to try in the future?  Or, should I make life easy and just randomly try new sticks down the road?  ?

Definitely trying a H Upman Connoisseur No 1 next.  Would like to explore Bolivar and Montecristo, but have no idea where to start.  

Thanks in advance for any guidance! 

Cohiba is .... cohiba. There is nothing quite like it.

From there you can go to big bold flavors with Partagas (Partagas Series D no4 for a robust in that marca). Leather, meat, spices. Strong, powerful.

Another one that is quite distinctive is Montecristo, a bit sweeter, with dry fruit, vanilla chocolate. No 4 is a beloved one or you could go for the Edmundos.

You can go lighter and grassy woodsy fruity with Hoyo de Monterey, the Epicures are a good start. 

I'll let others fill in the rest of correct my assessment. But Cohiba is quite unique.

Happy trails in this new world!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mikeyjayjay said:

Hi @RyviaUSA

Have a look at the sample packs Rob @El Presidente has put together in the store. They are a pretty good way of picking up some quality sticks to try!

Precisely.   Good way to root around without committing to a full box.  

As for suggestions, follow the 24:24 for what's looking good out of the warehouse. 

This year I have found new loves in the HDM Mag 46, Connie A and the Partagas E2 (but I seem to recall that the E2 El Leguitos have dried up and the other factories aren't matching in quality).     

• Like 1

Robusto's and Petit/half Coronas are the best way of exploring Cuban cigars and the flavour profiles.  Samplers to begin with. 

However. 

if you don't let them rest 60 days and get them into a humidor at between 63% and 66% RH then you are wasting a lot of time and money. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, ponfed said:

Cohiba is .... cohiba. There is nothing quite like it.

From there you can go to big bold flavors with Partagas (Partagas Series D no4 for a robust in that marca). Leather, meat, spices. Strong, powerful.

Another one that is quite distinctive is Montecristo, a bit sweeter, with dry fruit, vanilla chocolate. No 4 is a beloved one or you could go for the Edmundos.

You can go lighter and grassy woodsy fruity with Hoyo de Monterey, the Epicures are a good start. 

I'll let others fill in the rest of correct my assessment. But Cohiba is quite unique.

Happy trails in this new world!

PSD4's are medium bodied. Cream, Paprika and Cuban earth. I wouldn't say powerful as they have never made me dizzy or queasy. Cohiba Robustos  have a creaminess with some age and that grassiness undertone. My2c

• Like 2

Thank you so much everyone for all the information so far.

I definitely put them in a humidity controlled humidor for at least two months. The hardest thing so far has been establishing a system where cigars are always ready to go. Nothing worse than wanting a great cigar and none of them are ready yet! ?

1 hour ago, rcarlson said:

Precisely.   Good way to root around without committing to a full box.  

As for suggestions, follow the 24:24 for what's looking good out of the warehouse. 

This year I have found new loves in the HDM Mag 46, Connie A and the Partagas E2 (but I seem to recall that the E2 El Leguitos have dried up and the other factories aren't matching in quality).     

Yikes, I meant H. Upmann Mag 46 andConnie A, not HDM. 

For robusto’s another vote for Partagas D4 and I would through in Ramon Allones Specially Selected which can be half the price of the Cohiba Robusto and often just as good. If cost is of little concern and you like the Cohiba profile try to get your hands on some Esplendidos and Lanceros. Good luck! 

• Like 1

if you don't let them rest 60 days and get them into a humidor at between 63% and 66% RH then you are wasting a lot of time and money. 

^^^This is the truth!! I smoked a 17 RASS (my first ever) with 30 days rest and it was actually harsh and bitter....I thought “what the hell is everyone raving about?” Just smoked another from the same box tonight with ~4 months rest and it was a 1000% better experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Perhaps I've been storing my cigars too moist.  I'm used to about 71F in the house and around 69-71% on the digital hygrometer.  I may have to try lowering to mid 60s.  Does the lower humidity bring out a better taste?  I just fear them starting to crack from dryness.  

Juan Lopez, HdM Epicure, Montecristo Double Edmundo are cigars I bet you'd like.  

I store cigars at 65% and it's fine.  If worried about cracking a cigar when cutting; run the cap over water for a second or two.  I normally do this when at home.  It's weird, some cigars have a pliable cap others do not. Same humidity.

Welcome, RyviaUSA!

Can you distill into a few words any of the particular characteristics you enjoy most about the CoRos? While it's true that there's nothing else quite like the Cohiba profile, there are multiple directions that could be suggested for your exploration from that starting point and it all depends on what about them really grabs you so much.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Doctorossi said:

Welcome, RyviaUSA!

Can you distill into a few words any of the particular characteristics you enjoy most about the CoRos? While it's true that there's nothing else quite like the Cohiba profile, there are multiple directions that could be suggested for your exploration from that starting point and it all depends on what about them really grabs you so much.

Hi @Doctorossi

I can probably answer this better on Sunday after I have another tomorrow with family for a special occasion.  

From memory, it's the taste and smoothness. My favorite non Cuban right now is the Padron 1964 anniversary Maduro. Again, unbelievably smooth. Both of these cigars never gave me that cigar mouth after taste. 

Not sure if this helps. I would make a terrible reviewer of cigars haha. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RyviaUSA said:

Not sure if this helps.

It certainly does- it definitely at least eliminates from consideration a few things I might've recommended.

Do you have any experience with the El Rey del Mundo marca? I suspect their larger-guage offerings might be right up your alley. Take a look at Saint Luis Rey, too.

• Like 1

I'm curious to go from 65/66% to around 61-63%. Is there a noticeable difference? And do you guys use Boveda packs or how do you get it lower than 65? It looks like Boveda has 58 and 62% RH packs. Do you do half 65% and half 58% or...? I currently use only the Boveda 65% packs.

I get a steady 63% by using the 65’s. I believe it even says so on the package, that you should expect a couple of % lower than what it says on the box. And two different hygrometers agree. Haven’t tried the 62’s.

And for me the most noticable difference is in the draw and plugged cigars.