Let's talk about watches...

I have two tag heuers --- an quartz chrono and an auto chrono. Much prefer the auto. For my retirement I am looking at a Lange and Sohne ... luckily my retirement is measured in decades. Recently seen a LV 277 -- something nice about it ...

• 4 years later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lange 1 in rose gold. Took a little while to arrive.

The only priceless watch in my collection. My Mom told me if I graduated college w a 4.0 GPA she would buy me whatever watch I wanted for graduation. It proved to be good motivation and my Dad almost

New early 40th birthday gift for myself. Omega Seamaster Diver 300  

1950's gold omega - auto - keeps great time - don't wear it that often - as stated before time is all over the place - can't find a reason it spend on a watch - although I do like the IWC product

Any of you guys know which of the luxury brands actually make their own automatic mechanisms? I believe Breitling has brought that back in house since the buyout, but other brands seem to have suffered from the ongoing consolidation in the luxury space. The fad for gigantic mechanisms is just one symptom of that ( http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-23/watch-industry-consolidation-threatens-independents-survival.html ). Great traditions like Blancpain being bought out by Swatch appear to have had adverse consequences, and it's not just historic brands bought out by volume manufacturers, but also those being swallowed by luxury retailing conglomerates. It seems like we're seeing both more 'faddish' designs and gross price increases as the luxury fashion houses share a common misperception that rich people are stupid when it comes to pricing, tradition and value.

Did that sound like a rant? :P

Anyway, I'd like to add two classic automatics from an independent maker that will still be around in 100 years. In 1780 I would have just bought from Breguet (now part of Swatch), but who the heck do you buy from today?

• Like 1

Anyway, I'd like to add two classic automatics from an independent maker that will still be around in 100 years. In 1780 I would have just bought from Breguet (now part of Swatch), but who the heck do you buy from today?

What's the budget as that dictates all. Inhouse for my budget is the 9300

http://www.omegawatches.com/press/press-kit-text/1678

Some beautiful timepieces on here gents. My everyday watch is an IWC Pilot Chronograph. The other two I interchange are an IWC Portuguese Automatic with the black face and a Longines Master Collection Chronograph. Keep posting the collections!

ataza5us.jpg

• Like 1

Any of you guys know which of the luxury brands actually make their own automatic mechanisms? I believe Breitling has brought that back in house since the buyout, but other brands seem to have suffered from the ongoing consolidation in the luxury space. The fad for gigantic mechanisms is just one symptom of that ( http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-23/watch-industry-consolidation-threatens-independents-survival.html ). Great traditions like Blancpain being bought out by Swatch appear to have had adverse consequences, and it's not just historic brands bought out by volume manufacturers, but also those being swallowed by luxury retailing conglomerates. It seems like we're seeing both more 'faddish' designs and gross price increases as the luxury fashion houses share a common misperception that rich people are stupid when it comes to pricing, tradition and value.

JLC, Patek, and Vacheron are 3 more popular luxury watch houses that do their own movement. If you're shopping in person and you have the opportunity to handle watch and you're not familiar with the movement bring a loupe. If the watch you're interested in has a display case use the loupe to look at the base plate under the balance spring and see if there is a house of swatch logo. Also, the internet can be really helpful too, but don't believe everything you read!. The three brands I mentioned in the earlier part of this post all have website with areas that specifically describe their watch movements. If you go to a company site and it's all pretty vague, just talking about the number of jewels and the power reserve chances are they are using third-party movement.

I hope that all makes sense. I'm typing this on my phone in a lobby. Please excuse any typos

Panerai, Girard Perrigaux, IWC, Glashutte Original, A. Lange & Sonne, Audemars Piguet and, of course, Rolex all make the vast majority of their movements in-house.

I've got a few watches in the box- Panerai 25, 448, 448. IWC Portuguese, Glashutte Original Senator Navigator and Girard Perreuau Titanium Chrono.

Panerai, Girard Perrigaux, IWC, Glashutte Original, A. Lange & Sonne, Audemars Piguet and, of course, Rolex all make the vast majority of their movements in-house.

I've got a few watches in the box- Panerai 25, 448, 448. IWC Portuguese, Glashutte Original Senator Navigator and Girard Perreuau Titanium Chrono.

I believe some of IWCs watches use in house movements, but not all of them. I believe the Portugese Chrono uses ETAs movement. Glashutte is owned by the swatch group as well. Don't get me wrong though. the Glashutte Original is a great brand, and better than a Rolex Breitling or an Omega any day of the week regardless of movement.

You know what, go vintage. You can find a phenomenal watch from the 50s or 60s in great condition from Omega, IWC, etc from an era where watchmaking and craftsmanship meant something.

PM if you can tell me a place where I can buy yhem.

Thanks

Am I the only one here who has difficulties in finding a watch that doesn't look ridiculously oversized?

As much as I love the looks of some of the watches today, unfortunately I have such small, girly wrists that most watches look like I've strapped a wall clock to my arm.

Nick.

I have the exact opposite problem. Most higher-end watches aren't even possibilities because they look like women's watches on my wrist. Anything less that 47mm looks ridiculous on my wrist. My daily watch is the Swiss Legend Militaire no. 1 with the Valjoux 7750 movement. It's 52mm and looks fairly normal. I'd say 50mm is my sweet spot, though.

My favourite watch is a VC Patrimonie Traditionelle... simple and understated which I like. So happens I'm also wearing my favourite cufflinks today - which were probably made by Swatch? I dunno!

Screen_Shot_2014_03_27_at_3_51_36_pm.png
Screen_Shot_2014_03_27_at_3_52_00_pm.png
  • Like 1

I got a Immersion H2O for my 21st as it was a high end divers watch complete with built in depth gauge and dive timer.

It saved my life on a couple of occations when my main dive compter failed on some deep dives.

The band split a year ago and since it was purchased the company has gone bust so finding a replacement band has proven difficult.

If I run out of options with the H2O i'll be contacting prez for a price on the Oris Pro Diver

I love that watch

I got a Immersion H2O for my 21st as it was a high end divers watch complete with built in depth gauge and dive timer.

It saved my life on a couple of occations when my main dive compter failed on some deep dives.

The band split a year ago and since it was purchased the company has gone bust so finding a replacement band has proven difficult.

If I run out of options with the H2O i'll be contacting prez for a price on the Oris Pro Diver

I love that watch

Have a Suunto Titanium D3 I use as a bottom timer for mixed gas and cave diving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• JohnS changed the title to Let's talk about watches...