Shanghai - cigar bars.

» i'm heading to Shanghai for a few days next week - are there any cigar bars

» worth visiting?

»

» thanks.

Most definitely!

Visit the Guanxi Lounge which is located in the Roosevelt Prime Steakhouse.

Another location is the Cuba lounge located in the JC Mandarin Hotel.

While not a cigar club exactly, the Jade lounge in the Shangri-La hotel in Pudong has an excellent view of the Bund, and cigars are welcome here.

CJW (Cigars/Jazz/Wine) is a nice place to have a drink and cigar, and is located in Xintiandi, a place where a lot of foreigners/expats like to congregate at.

Have fun!

» worth visiting?

»

» thanks.

China has no smoking ban, all places are cigar-friendly...:-P

Puxi-side:

1) Roosevelt's Prime Steakhouse (160 Tai Yuan Road). We've smoke session there every thurs 6pm, you are welcome to join us.

2) iSSiMO inside JIA boutique hotel (931 Nan Jing Road West, tel-6287-9009).

3) Lounge of Jean Georges (3 on the Bund, 3 Zhong Shan Dong Yi Road, tel-6321-7733).

4) La Casa del Habano of Luna, XinTianDi (181 Tai Cang Road), al fisco & meet all the pretty girls !!

All the major hotels (4 Seasons, Portman, Westin etc) have nice lounges...

Pudong-side:

1) Bin Jiang One (Fu Cheng Road, tel-5877-7500).

2) The Bar of Shangri-La Hotel (33 Fu Cheng Road).

Enjoy mate ~ :cool:

» » i'm heading to Shanghai for a few days next week - are there any cigar

» bars

» » worth visiting?

» »

» » thanks.

»

» China has no smoking ban, all places are cigar-friendly...:-P

»

» Puxi-side:

» 1) Roosevelt's Prime Steakhouse (160 Tai Yuan Road). We've smoke session

» there every thurs 6pm, you are welcome to join us.

» 2) iSSiMO inside JIA boutique hotel (931 Nan Jing Road West,

» tel-6287-9009).

» 3) Lounge of Jean Georges (3 on the Bund, 3 Zhong Shan Dong Yi Road,

» tel-6321-7733).

» 4) La Casa del Habano of Luna, XinTianDi (181 Tai Cang Road), al fisco &

» meet all the pretty girls !!

» All the major hotels (4 Seasons, Portman, Westin etc) have nice

» lounges...

»

» Pudong-side:

» 1) Bin Jiang One (Fu Cheng Road, tel-5877-7500).

» 2) The Bar of Shangri-La Hotel (33 Fu Cheng Road).

»

» Enjoy mate ~ :cool:

Okay Shanghai has one of my worst cigar/drinking stories:

I got used to the upstairs bar at the Four Seasons, where I was staying. They had some drink in test tubes that I had way too many of. I passed out smoking a cigar. I forgot what it was, but it was probably a churchill or a Double Corona. I was wearing a nice suit. I guess I deciced to hold my hand up by my ear. The problem? This hand had a lit cigar in it. I woke up to my server putting out a fire on my shoulder.

A funny after point; I had a hole about the size of a quarter burned into the shoulder of my jacket. I had the suit sent out to Shanghai tailors, who did a very good job on the coat.

The next time I wore the suit on the trip, my mother started harping about the "stain" on the shoulder and that I should return the suit.

I never had the heart to tell her I passed out smoking a cigar and lit my suit on fire...

Shanghai was fun though. I would like to go back...

» Great story Don.

»

» As an aside......prey tell....do you normally go to Shanghai bars with

» your mum?

»

» ....not that there is anything wrong with that :lookaround:

She likes to keep up with what I am doing. I believe she will be stopping by the FOH Vegas gathering to check up on us. Is there a problem?!

Don't **** with mommy! :rotfl:

» Great story Don.

»

» As an aside......prey tell....do you normally go to Shanghai bars with

» your mum?

»

» ....not that there is anything wrong with that :lookaround:

On a different note, there are some nice Shanghai bars which have their own moms....i mean mamasans :lol3:

El Prez, the brothers will show you those when you come...:-D

im over at the radisson til sat. hope to drop by the roosevelt if i can find my way =) it's only my second time here and dont really know my way around. ive been taking the liberty of smoking in my hotel room which is fantastic! last night was 06 rass, now its '98 rs12 and tom its an Alfredo - can't wait.

thanks for the feedback on this thread folks!

• 4 months later...

» worth visiting?

»

» thanks.

Cuban roller, Jimmy Sotolongo Puig (Partagas Factory, Grade 9) showed up in our regular stogie session at Roosevelt's Prime Steakhouse's Cigar Lounge, Shanghai...:-P image7118.jpg

Jimmy specializes in making Salomones, here he is doing his favorite. In fact, he hand-rolled all the Bolivar Armonia ER-China.

image7119.jpg

We had a good turnout today...15 cigar friends

image7120.jpg:clap: :clap:

• 4 months later...

I can add my recommendation to the Cuba Lounge at the JC Mandarin. Not a bad place to have a good cigar, drink and chat with like minded friends.

I travel to Shanghai a bit for work and did not know about the Roosevelt's Prime Steakhouse's Cigar Lounge so thanks for the tip and photos; it is definitely on my agenda for the next trip.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Gentlemen - hope you are well. Just stumbled upon the site and am loving it! I'm an Aussie - been in Shangers for nearly 5 years now. Been smoking at a storm at a number of places and not too long ago found a great supplier of great priced cigars on Yanqing Lu.

I heard some of the other guys have a regular smoking session at The House of Roosevelt? I've actually never visited but would love to check it out! Let me know if your heading there this evening and ill be there!

Be good to meet a few BOTL here in Shanghai.

• 2 months later...

so I visited the Roosevelt last night. I had a prime rib and onion rings. I didn't find this place over priced given the location and quality of food and environment and experience.

After dinner I headed to the lounge. It was awesome. Everything the I expected from the lounge. Comfy leather chairs. Lots of room. U can order drinks from restaurant and have it brought there. The best part is that they didn't require that u buy any thing, at least that what I was told. Members gather every thurs, as fat cigar mentions above, and on Mondays it was quiet. It was me and just before close George, the owner, came in with some friends and that's it. Really nice atmosphere. There were two rooms: main area and in the back there was a projector and a screen, which I assume is for watching movies or other entertainment. There were also 40 to 50 lockers... I could be wrong as it is just an estimate...

I would recommend and will prolly go again tday or tmr...

• 2 years later...

Good thing about Shanghai is that if you misplace your lighter, there are steel mills every other block! Just ask the welder for his torch ;)

I remember my childhood where the welder beside my apt. had a noodle shop in the front. had some great pulled noodles there... should visit before they tear down the place for whatever the gov. is deciding to build there innocent.gif

the layout went something like: "steel mill - noodle shop - steel mill - noodle shop - steelmill and noodle shop - steel mill"

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately, China has instigated a no-smoking policy since the start of the year, and most of the indoor smoking places are no more.   I haven't been back since the ban started, but my local friends there tell me that the ban is indeed enforced, and places to smoke are hard to find now.  Evidently outdoor smoking areas are allowed, although Shanghai in the middle of summer can be hot and humid.   

• 2 months later...
Just back from Shanghai . . . everybody is now smoking in the john, just like teenagers sneaking an illicit cig!

Crap.

Anyone know the situation in Hong Kong?

Going to China in October.

Crap.

Anyone know the situation in Hong Kong?

Going to China in October.
If the lcdh in downtown doesn't allow smoking anymore I won't know how to begin my trip lol

My guess is I'll still smoke in the factory offices around a tea table while they translate my 2 sentences into 30 minute conversations
  • Like 1