Cigar Flavour Wheel

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't get it to spin. Spin wheel, spin!

Just to stir the pot...

We can only detect three hues (red, green, blue), yet we can sense billions of colors.  Some people have more developed senses of taste and smell.  This can be physical/mechanical in the case of super

With my club in Italy we are also studying a wheel for our members, specially young smokers.

This one is too good and frankly too much, I think it would be more easy to make a "step by step" wheel something like a No.1 Wheel (Beginners) and then no.2 ( medium) and no.3 ( Expert ) with main flavours/aromas and then slowly introduce others.

If a beginner sees this wheel will think we are crazy :wacko:

Gotta agree with Gino here.

I do appreciate the effort though gents. You must have smoked like chimneys to arrive at all these profiles and likenesses.

I do not disagree, a Beginner, Intermediate and Expert Wheels would be wise. I also know that the wheel above is not Beginner, but is it Intermediate or Expert? Further, it is a great start which beginners can engage or ignore. I would not put it off, if you see it as not perfect. Nothing should be perfect. Still if we could improve on this wheel, I think rather than simply telling us so, you should let us know what your ideal wheel would be.

And by "us", I mean the full membership of Friends of Habanos.

Cheers,

DC

With my club in Italy we are also studying a wheel for our members, specially young smokers.

This one is too good and frankly too much, I think it would be more easy to make a "step by step" wheel something like a No.1 Wheel (Beginners) and then no.2 ( medium) and no.3 ( Expert ) with main flavours/aromas and then slowly introduce others.

If a beginner sees this wheel will think we are crazy :wacko:

Gino,

The Wheel that I have used above and the one that Professor Twain has been using is in my humble opinion one that cigar smokers of all stages (Beginner, Moderate and "Expert") can use when they are searching for a description that fits the essence they are tasting. Many of your Wine Experts such as Ken may recognise a "Flavor Wheel", as the idea for a "Flavor Wheel" was initially developed for the Wine Industry and a teaching tool to developing Wine Tasters Palates. Cigar smokers have been following the same road as the Wine Industry in this aspect.

I thought that this Flavor Wheel was an excellent working "Tool" to be able to describe the nuances I was tasting in my cigars If it helps you, then please enjoy; if you want to improve on this wheel, you are more than able to do so for the benefit and enjoyment of your palate. This Flavor Wheel is strictly a tool that can be used to help cigar smokers train their palate of the subtle flavors and nuances.

Tampa

I agree Tampa.

The reality is that no matter what flavour wheel you come up with....it will likely exclude the experience of a large number of tasters.

In laymans language everyone has between 400 and 2000 tastebuds. Those more toward 400 taste less than those toward 2000. This is why (in my humble opinion) a beginner, intermediate and experienced flavourwheel will not work for many and why it may indeed frustrate those who "think" they should be on the "experienced" wheel by now. The reality is they do not have the "buds" to identify the flavours on the "exprienced" wheel. I am one of these. My taste busds are nowhere near as acute as those of Ken and Smithy.

Tampa and Professor Twains Wheel is an overview. In an overview you seek guidance and a reference point. It is not an examination of competence :thinking:

I do not disagree, a Beginner, Intermediate and Expert Wheels would be wise. I also know that the wheel above is not Beginner, but is it Intermediate or Expert? Further, it is a great start which beginners can engage or ignore. I would not put it off, if you see it as not perfect. Nothing should be perfect. Still if we could improve on this wheel, I think rather than simply telling us so, you should let us know what your ideal wheel would be.

And by "us", I mean the full membership of Friends of Habanos.

Cheers,

DC

What the f*ck was I babbling about? I can't believe no one called my on this last post. It is ridiculous.

!LOL!

You shoud see some of my finest work :thinking:

I don't doubt it. You post too often not to post gibberish at times. But I have to admit, for a guy who has a reputation for drinking wine early in the day, you normally sound incredibly lucid, and believable. How do you do that?

...for a guy who has a reputation for drinking wine early in the day, you normally sound incredibly lucid, and believable. How do you do that?

I'm of the firm belief it involves a large volume of practice, a lot of stamina... and a truckload of ambition.

Having stellar European bloodlines that have perfected the art of meshing alcohol, work and siesta is also an unfair advantage.

Thanks for the wheel. Personally, I think it would be quite useful for all levels. A new smoker can simply take what they need,

using what makes sense to them at the time, and expand it's use as they become more accustomed to singling out flavors

in a cigar.

A beginning pianist might not tackle a Beethoven concerto, but it could not hurt to listen, read, and practice small segments.

Tampa, DC and President, no way I wanted say that the wheel is no good. I've been looking at that wheel long time before I have seen it on this board and as I am still a very beginner on tastes, sometime I feel frustated that I cannot find some of the wheels info in my buds.

Tasting Wheels have been my guide always and I have got several from around the boards on the net .

But that's me :( , so I suggested that an easy wheel can be helpful for younger smokers that can step by step, finding new flavours,grow up.

so I suggested that an easy wheel can be helpful for younger smokers that can step by step, finding new flavours,grow up.

Gino, you feel a "beginner" would be better served with less choices / less choices which cover a broader spectrum of flavors?

(I'm not trying to be argumentative - just asking)

• 2 weeks later...
Gino, you feel a "beginner" would be better served with less choices / less choices which cover a broader spectrum of flavors?

(I'm not trying to be argumentative - just asking)

Yes I do, but that's just my 2 cents.

Myself, as a young smokers (started just in the year 2000), sometime feel "oppressed" by BOTL that start talking of so many flavours I don't even know in my normal life , how can I get in a cigar?

That's why I believe a 1st step wheel should be of flavours well know in a common ldayly life. Again my 0.2cents ;)

• 1 month later...
That's why I believe a 1st step wheel should be of flavours well know in a common ldayly life. Again my 0.2cents :D

Well lets develop a "first step" flavour wheel. We will need some members with graphics skills to assist.

Lets throw it out there as to what should be included and start building one from the ground up.

Who begins :P

Well lets develop a "first step" flavour wheel. We will need some members with graphics skills to assist.

Lets throw it out there as to what should be included and start building one from the ground up.

Who begins :P

Just to stir the pot... :D

post-1537-1232513227.jpg

• Like 3